1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is the NAV screen of such crappy quality?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 32kcolors, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 6th generation NAV screen in the 2010 Prius is shockingly bad compared to 5th gen NAV (and resembles the 4th gen NAV) in the Lexus. Obviously it's not 32,000 colors (as my screenname indicates) found in the Lexus 5th gen NAV. Someone also mentioned the screen is even worse than the previous gen Prius? It's probably about the only thing I don't like about the 2010 Prius.

I guess the answer is it's not a Lexus, but I'm surprised that even a 2010 Toyota can't compare to a 2007 Lexus when it comes to the NAV system.

Edit: The latest NAV system in the new Lexus is 6th generation, FYI.

2. rcarsonk

rcarsonk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's strange. I just traded-in a 2007 TCamryHybrid which had Nav. and I loved that system. It was a good high quality screen and was fairly fast. I had heard complaints about the Prius III and nav.

However, I bought one about 10 days ago and I find that the screen quality is about the same (maybe slightly lower definition). My complaint is that when using, it calculates directions slower....so I don't know if that's the computer itself or the satellites and antenna.

Carson

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's another thing that bothers me. Why did they downgrade the quality in Gen III Prius?

Of course, I don't expect those of you who haven't seen the 5th gen or later NAV in the Lexus to know what I'm talking about. Lexus owners with 4th gen NAV didn't know how poor their screen was until they saw the 5th gen NAV.

4. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it's all about cost... toyota's cost for building the prius was getting too expensive. A IV with nav and solar roof is $30,000. that's a lot for a small car. in the meanwhile, they had to contend with the new honda insight. they did not know how much it would compete with the prius. they knew it would a few thousand cheaper so they had to reduce costs to compete.

we now know that the insight is really no match for the prius.. it's slower, cramped and uses more gas. still, the base insight is about $3,000-$4,000 less expensive. if you were the only driver and maybe had a passenger, you'd still think about the insight.

the prius also has to compete with other midsized cars. for the prius of a prius IV, i could have bought a fully loaded camry se with a v-6 with less money. it's all in what the customer perceives in the value.

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You folks are so busy telling how bad the G3 is ....

I took delivery 4 days ago of a G3 IV, and I think it is fantastic. I find absolutely no fault with the Nav. screen. (Maybe they improved the most recent built?) I find the ride is supurb; quiet and comfortable; the interior is beautiful; no rattles; stability is great; fit and finish is perfect; and I am getting 54.1 mpg on my first tank. These were my priorities .... and I am not feeling denied.

What else could I ask for?

1 person likes this.
  6. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An iPod interface!!! (that isn't butt-ugly and labeled as "DVD"!!)
    That's my only real gripe... from what I know so far, since I don't have my car yet.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    oh for crying out loud ... that's HARDLY a fair comparison ... after all the high tech brand new Lexus screen is (OLED) organic light emitting diode technology ... and isn't the contrast on 'em something like 10x higher or more? That's like comparing HD NAV's to DVD nav's. no comparison. you can't gripe when new technology gets introduced, because at SOME point, the last model has to get phased out. This just happens to fall at an inconvenient time.

1 person likes this.
  8. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems to me that 2010 would have been the perfect time to switch to a HD nav system, since the rest of the car has been so "revamped" compared to previous years.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not even talking about the 6th gen NAV in the brand new Lexus. The 5th gen NAV in the 2007 Lexus wasn't OLED nor HD-based but had 32,000 colors and higher resolution that put the current NAV system in the Prius to shame. The so-called 6th gen NAV in the 2010 Prius is on par with the 4th gen NAV in the 2006 and earlier Lexus. In fact, they look exactly the same in terms of color and resolution.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't get me wrong. As a Lexus owner, I think the G3 V is perfect in every aspect except the NAV system and perhaps the lack of Auto-on headlights (as I don't live in Canada). I guess I'm just spoiled from the much superior screen in the 5th gen Lexus NAV. However, it's extremely disappointing that the 6th gen Toyota NAV is equivalent to the one used in 2004-2006 Lexus.

11. RebelScum

RebelScum New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually, someone posted that the 2010 Nav screen was lower resolution than even the Gen2 Prius Nav screen. Can someone verify/deny this?

That would be something to complain about: a downgrade within the same line. But I do think the explanation was that they wanted to save money. This is one of the reasons the 2010 is cheaper than the 2009.

12. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're not the only one to notice that.

The 2004-2005 Prius' had a lower definition screen.

While in 2006, if you got package two and up, you got the higher definition screen.

Now, the third generation Prius seems to have a lower definition navigation screen, and a very low definition energy monitor.

Attached Files:

13. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's interesting to see the energy monitors change over time...
    Starting with the 1998 Prius though the current.

2 people like this.
  14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One thing for sure, the next Prius revision (whether mid-year Gen III revision or Gen IV) will get a much superior screen as the screen in the forthcoming Prius v (wagon) absolutely smokes them all.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They had to do it to (try to) keep the price sub-stratospheric for the NAV equipped models. Having said that, and acknowledging the fact that the NAV display isn't as Gucci as some of the others out there, I was surprised to find that it's fairly easy to read (if not to use) even when competing with old Sol (the screen didn't wash out very badly in sunlight) and it's not nearly as cheesy as some of the displays that are out there even on more upscale sheet metal, which is certainly NOT true for the MDF---but that's a different topic. :(
    Simply put....it's allllll about the $$$.
    If you want a high-end NAV unit, your best bet is to buy aftermarket, and get some EE student (or dropout) to install it for you. Same with the sound system.
    This isn't a Toyota exclusive. I haven't seen very many OEM head units that can compete with a good, or in the case of some, even a mediocre aftermarket system.

16. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right. I think it would be cool if the whole eyebrow (that's what I call that cluster of readouts) was just one huge LCD display.

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's why his name is 32kcolors. LOL!!

After looking through all those pictures, the Gen III screen sucks compared to even the Gen I. wtfwtfwtf

18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hopefully the money they saved giving us the crappy resolution screen on the Gen III will allow then to really wow us with the upcoming Entune systems as long as they make it to the Prius besides just the 'v' without costing an arm and a leg.

Going from a 2006 with its nice crisp display to the 2010, the difference was obvious. Things like that should not take a step backwards IMO.

1 person likes this.
  19. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know!
    The screen in the 1998 Prius, a car that's 13 years old, has a better screen than a 2011 model car! It's laughable.

20. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I couldn't agree more. Like I just said, it's horrible that a car that's 13 years old (1998 Prius) has a better screen than a 2011 model year car!