1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is there not a really good PDA Phone?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, May 7, 2008.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I will pass on your offer. I'm in no real hurry to get a phone or PDA. It just kind of pisses me off a little that a company like HTC can make what seems to be great or good hardware but failes to deliver on the software side. A simple video driver would fix the Tilt and I would be glad to get it. Same way with the ultimate 9502. Get a proper video driver for it and I will get it. I have to say the camera on the Tilt and the 9502 are not that great but I dont really care about them. From the reviews they look good enough for me. I think I'm just going to keep holding off until something comes along that fits what I want.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

You might want to double and even triple check that. Verizon and Sprint use the CDMA network, while AT&T and T-Mobile use the GSM network, and Nextel uses the iDEN network. Unfortunately, these networks are incompatible. Currently, iPhones only run on GSM (which is much more popular in Europe), so I doubt it'll work on Verizon's network.

Just a friendly heads up - no sense in spend a couple hundred bucks for something that doesn't work like you hoped.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to do telephone technical support for the Kyocera 7135 smartphone.

You're bringing back bad memories, dude... sigh...

They can't make a good PDA phone because it is either a PDA or a phone... putting both together messes them both up!

I'm still waiting for the perfect cell phone. It doesn't take pictures. It doesn't play mp3 files. It doesn't have games, show movies, or connect to the Internet. No instant messaging, no video camera. Just clear, excellent sound, and a very simple menu system.

I have a laptop for all the other stuff I need :D

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's your phone:

Firefly Mobile: The Mobile Phone for Mobile Kids

:D

5. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So get this, there's no transfering my contract unless I transfer the whole thing, which involves a family plan with three phones/lines, when all I want to do is keep my plan but switch my hardware.

It looks like I'll have to try to sell the phone if I want to do things iPhone v2 style. Maybe I can get $150 or so out of it on EBay.

6. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    *** Double Post ***

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well from the looks of it HTC may release an update to fix the issues the Tilt has here this month. They said that before and never delivered. If they do fix the issue I think I will get the Tilt or even better the HTC brand Tytn II. Or if HTC releases the right drivers and the device works and the drivers get ported to the Ultimate 9502 I will get the 9502 because of the nice VGA screen. I can live with the crappy camera in these devices because I already have a Sony F828 camera.

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just looked at the Tilt review and it looks pretty good.
    One thing the Palm 750 has got it beat with is one hand operation.
    Very convenient to surf the net with one hand while strolling or while driving ( at a stop light).
    Its a not very reliable phone though.
    Im hoping I can use the Instinct one handed as well.
    I hate to see Palm go down the tubes,previously being an innovative American company.

10. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a slide-out keyboard man myself. There are few circumstances that I'd need one hand operation (texting while driving? :D) so I just want the fastest way to type possible.

11. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a HTC user. I'm currently using Kaiser. I don't have a lot of problem with the phone. It's not perfect, but it's good for me.
    BTW, who need support from HTC when there is a group of developer providing Cooked ROM. Just unlock your HTC and run customized Cooked ROM. Check out "xda-developer" for more HTC goodies.

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been watching xda-developer for a while now. They have some great support. From what I have read they have made the Tytn II almost usable. The only thing missing is the video driver. If HTC releases the driver and it actually improves the phone the first thing I wll do is flash it with a cooked rom.