1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why isn't the Prius slow?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jason dinAlt, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mind you, I'm not complaining. I am driving using eco mode and the bar display. I try to keep the eco light lit, but other than that I am driving like I always have - no special mpg tricks, but smooooth.
    So if I'm first at the light I still wind up 1/2 block ahead of traffic. I mean, how slow are people?
    It just amuses me that I, the Prius driver, am annoyed at how slow typical drivers are.
    (The computer is showing 51.6 mpg for this tank.)

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A typical internal combustion engine makes the most power near Redline and the most torque near the middle of the RPM range.

[​IMG]

However, a typical electric motor makes the most torque near 0 RPMs, and Power tends to be centered in the RPMs band.

[​IMG]

This means your Prius is quite robust off the line, even though its high speed power is limited.
    (This is also why Toyota does not just add the Motor's HP to the Engine's HP to get a total, they make power in different bands)

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, they don't add the motor HP to anything - they add the battery horsepower to the engine HP to get the total. The motor HP is higher than what the battery can supply because much of the time, part of the engine's power output is being split between the electrical and mechanical paths through the transmission: one motor converts the mechanical energy to electrical energy, sends it to the other motor, which converts it back to mechanical energy. The only way to get power in addition to what the engine is supplying is for the battery to provide it. Hence, the motors are 80 horsepower, the battery is 36 horsepower, and the engine is 98 horsepower. Total system output is 36+98 = 134 horses.

bwilson4web likes this.