1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why isn't Toyota on the E85 Bandwagon?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cleverlever, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

When I listen to people tell me they get their power from the wind I just laugh. I wish they would hook you up directly to the wind and then you could see how worthless wind is a reliable source of electrical power.

However I do respect the spirit of your intentions.

2. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Buying wind power credits is like a virtual wind power supply with backup. You don't have to commit to a big investment or put equipment in your house. The turbines can be located in windy areas.

What's so unreliable about that? Most alternate energy sources have a backup, whether batteries, generator, or grid power. Since the electric grid is "pooled" generation anyway, this is a great idea. I have constant power for my wind credits, I'll bet Nate does too. I don't care if they're generating power at the exact same time I'm using it... it doesn't really matter, so long as it's generated sometime.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    G:

Snif ... sniff ... snnniifffffffffff ... oh wow ... like, good beaker man!

j

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    jay, somehow you've managed to be nuttier than i am :lol:

nothin' wrong with a little uh, dissociative relaxant at work... ethanol and i have always been friends.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wind power can be stabalized in flywheels, potentially in carbon nanotube storage devices in the future.

Almost 20 years ago, I laughed at the idea of flywheel storage, especially for UPS's used in high-current industrial applications. Now the Big Thing is flywheel storage for UPS's in high-current industrial applications.

I find it ironic that Caterpillar markets a flywheel UPS paired with a diesel generator.

When the carbon nanotube technology was first prototyped, I did NOT laugh at it, but kept an open mind. After seeing demonstration units at industrial symposia, I'm firmly convinced they will exist alongside batteries, if not outright replace conventional batteries.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    G:

Trust me on this, it's either act nutty or let work get to you and truly *become* nutty. I prefer to act like a nut, though I'm sure sometimes it's hard to tell with me.

Or as my co-workers would put it: "A Jay moment."

<_<

j

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With all due respect, you are an idiot. The wind farms are large, reliable, and consistent. The wind farms here in Colorado and Wyoming continue to expand. It is in fact the grid that makes wind power reliable. It is uninformed foolish declarations like yours that hurt new wind power initiatives. If anything is unreliable in Colorado, it is the hydro, since the rain is unpredictable, in times of drought.

By the way, 1/6 of all electricity used in California is consumed to refine gasoline.

Maybe you could use that to charge a few cars.

If you would like to continue to reply like an uninformed ignoramous, then do so. However, I suggest you do a little research first.

Here, let me help:

http://www.cogreenpower.org/News.htm

235,000 additional households. 10% of households by 2015. (Yes, I voted for the law).

Oh, wind power is now cheaper than regular power in the State of Colorado.

Who's laughing now? Me, all the way to the bank.

Nate

9. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cleverlever;

wind power is PROBABLY the most unreliable, but its DEFINITELY the cheapest, and is one of the MOST plentiful next to solar.

sooo... imm, one probably doesnt stand a chance against definitely and most in ANY kind of argument

11. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why can't we all just get along

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i fail to see where your credentials have anything to do with electricity and alternative sources of power.

credentials don't always mean anything, you know. if i wanted to discuss electronics i wouldn't go around flaunting my degree in biochemistry to prove that i know my stuff.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  14. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

I thought this site and this thread started out as being related to variable valve timing,E85 and the Prius. My credentials seem appropriate. However if you need more credentials that are relevant to the sidebars I will comply with your wishes.

In the Carter Era I built a complete windgenerator system in my childrens nursery school. Had a Big NSP on the tail that stood for "Nursery School Power". Northern States Power didn't think that was real funny. Next I recieved a grant from the Minnesota Energy agency to build a Wind generator at my home. That turned into a political circus because the local municipality wouldn't let me put it higher than the trees.

I have worked extensively to promote a proposal to operate the Minneapolis light rail transit system from renewable energy provided by the same two hydro plants that operated the system in the 1800's

I have done several proposals utilizing the cooling capacity of municipal wells to cool district water chillers. Never did think it made much sense to use 90 degree air to cool your AC at the same time you were watering your grass with 50 Degree water.

So that gives me background in wind ,hydro, and geo thermal and someday I will do photovoltaic, the same day they show me one that works at night.

Does any body need more credentials?

15. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

Re Wind is Cheap?

Now I know the wind subsidy has been a on and off deal and they constantly fiddle with how they subsidize it but generally the fed subsidyhas been 2.5 cents per kwhr and the States usually have additional subsidies.

Now I am reading directly from a page I clipped from public testimony regarding attempts by Minnesotans for an Energy Efficent Economy to keep Canadian hydro outout of Minnesota because it was so cheap they couldn't compete with it. Manitoba Hydro was willing to give us long term FIRM CAPACITY hydroelectric power for 19 dollars a megawatt hour which if my math is correct is 1.9cents per kwhr? That means we can buy Firm Capacity hydro for less than the subsidy we pay for wind,which has negligible firm capacity. And you are telling me wind is cheap?

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course, that means you must trust/depend on a foreign source of energy, which appears to be what has placed the United States into difficulty in the first place.

Not that we're complaining: the Province of Manitoba is really making a killing off power exports right now.

At the same time, Manitoba Hydro is using that surplus to build their new office building, supposedly the most energy efficient office building on the planet. They are offering good incentives for geothermal heat pump conversions, despite the fact our power is already about the cheapest in North America.

They're even venturing into wind power to supplement hydro-generated power. I think wind power should be used in at least a supplementary/complimentary way. As far as "subsidies" don't forget that conventional hydro/coal/oil and especially nuke receive generous subsidies already.

http://www.hydro.mb.ca

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/earthpower/index.shtml

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/issues/downtown_vision.shtml

Of course, since Manitoba Hydro is *not* a for-profit company, the ideas being presented will no doubt offend neocon's.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Getting back to the OT, I do find it *very* interesting that Toyota chose *not* to pursue E85 with the Prius. What does that tell you?

It should be obvious - based on the MN trial of a Prius running E85 - that nothing outright prevents the car from running on E85. With appropriate sensors (Gas tank, such as ORP to determine regular unleaded or E85) and software changes, I'm sure the Prius could be made to run on E85 with no issues.

Again, why did Toyota turn their back on E85?

Looking at the NEV for Ethanol, especially E85, it really isn't a "solution" but more of a "rob Peter to pay Paul" approach. Especially when you consider how much less fuel economy a vehicle gets running E85.

I'm aware of the USDA study on E85 NEV, but keep in mind they carefully sorted the data to pick results that only favored E85 production as "efficient." A lot of inputs were ignored or unrealistic. You have to expect that: the USDA has the responsibility to promote agribusiness.

The same data manipulation applies to the Alberta Tar Sands oil production as well. The NEV from such oil extraction is quite poor compared to conventional crude sources.

According to your claims, you invented VVT with knock control. So I imagine you're already receiving royalties off Toyota, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc. As you are known to the automotive industry, perhaps you should pitch your idea directly to Toyota. We have little if any influence.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cleverlever;

already food is becoming a "luxury" to some of the poorer nations of the world. if ethanol production was increased, sure that would help, and as the infrastructure gets in place and public acceptance increases, the demand for ethanol will grow, then it will be another "food for oil" situation. and just like the old situation, i can garantee you, someone will starve.

for someone with your background, i find your attitude amazing. surely you must know that there is no single right answer for answering our energy needs. maybe wind is not viable in your backyard, but there are plenty of backyards where wind will work.

your population density, the availability of tillable land, and the farm infrastructure already in place where you live may mean that E85 is a much better alternative.

i can garantee you, that that aint true here. wind provides a much better opportunity. but im not saying, forget bio or E-85. we need to take advantage of what we have locally to use.

the only real solution is a multi-faceted energy solution taken from many different sources. imm, new housing that does not require solar for at least hot water needs is criminal. but that is only one small step. and sure its a small step. but there are many small steps that can be taken and it will make a difference.

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be interested in hearing about *long-term* effects of
    running E85 in an unmodified prius, particularly with regard to
    degradation of fuel system parts such as gaskets, plumbing, and
    the bladder. If *those* can deal with ethanol without degradation,
    then making the prius truly "e85 ready" would simply involve a
    fuel-composition sensor and an ECU firmware change. I would be
    interested in more info about the tests to date -- got a URL?
    _H*

20. cleverlever

cleverlever New Member

Search E85 Prius in Google. That will bring up numerous references on the subject