1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why isn't Toyota on the E85 Bandwagon?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cleverlever, Feb 18, 2006.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This would largely be "agricultural residue" and waste from industry. The motivation is that what used to be waste now has monetary value (as fuel). Just like the distiller's grains that are a by-product of the ethanol process are sold for about $0.03/lb. It's not much, but it does help offset the cost of ethanol production.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow tripp... im surprised you havent gotten CANVIEW yet. thought for sure you would have jumped on it. the extra info it provides is awesome...Norm just updated it now the user can select any parameter they want to see.

realize, besides the many we know about, there are a bundle we dont know about and now we can pick ones to monitor or graph.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm saving my pennies for a new house. Wife won't let me buy anything right now. No Roomba, no CAN-View, no supercharger for my Trooper, no flat panel TV, no XBOX 360, no Canon 30D camera.

Also prepping for a RAV4-EV this fall. (After the house is built).

I may have to make an exception for CAN-View.

Nate

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very nice. I can understand that. We need to move soon as well. Wife and I can't agree on where though. I wanna get a place up in the mountains and she wants to be in Arvada/Golden. The EV sounds cool. Good luck with that! Well if I get one and you wanna take a peek, lemme know and we can get together.

Seems like we oughta do a CO prius get-together. Seems like there's enough of in the Metroarea to make it worthwhile.

5. benighted

benighted New Member

At $0.03/lb you can still make good money. Thats $60 a ton, about the same price as asphalt.

6. benighted

benighted New Member

How can you live without a Roomba? :huh:

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah, that's my point. Those facilites generate hundreds of thousands of tonnes of DGs annually.

What's a Roomba? :huh:

Yeah. I'm surprised too. :p I think I'm gonna do it soon. I suppose that I'll need/want a flash rom thingy as well. I think Henry mentioned the cost to me over in the CAN-VIEW thread. I'll have to look it up. The CAN-VIEW itself is what, $225?

8. benighted

benighted New Member

Roomba video

9. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. Very cool. Just bought a Rooba Sage. Very excited to see it in action.

10. benighted

benighted New Member

Good choice, I would have reccomended that one. I have a Discovery but you really don't need the home base because you have to clean it out everytime you run it anyways so its just as easy to plug it in manually.

There are a few yahoo groups that will tell you how to best take care of your new roomba

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good to know. We have a Tri-level so a super fancy one didn't seem to make a lot of sense. There's a $30 off/Free shipping deal on the Sage right now so we got it for $170. That's not that much more than a decent vacuum and sounds way more convienent. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thanks again for the switching me on to the idea.

12. emuman

emuman New Member

does anyone know that a 100 square mile piece of land in nevada covered with solar panels could power the whole US?
    ;)

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope. That's completely false. It's 102 sq mi. :lol:

Yeah, I did know that. And that's using current technology (assuming a 12% efficiency, I think) PV panels. You could shrink that a bit with CSP or sterling because they're more efficient than current PV technologies. I think that they're also cheaper at the utility scale but it's been hard to find a per kwh cost for those technologies.

Still need a way to store all of that energy though. That's the key to really unlocking solar. Did you know that the sun bathes the earth with more energy than the global human population uses in a year every hour?