1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why kill the solar industry?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You cannot stop a sunrise.....

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Moscow on saw 4 hours of sunshine last December! Just sayin'!
    PV is improving for UK but, generally speaking, the British islands see lots of cloud throughout the year.

#22 RCO, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we need solar collection above the clouds, maybe that is where hydrogen fits into the scheme!(y)

RCO likes this.
  4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We need a Govt that is consistent in its goals, w/o kickbacks, payoffs. First incentivize, then cut the cords. when it’s working. Trump has no idea of US or Global economy. This sort of thing already happened with the rust belt years. Instead of competing, companies left. Definitely not part of the “Made in America” group.
    I like the concept but the US still has to compete. The real reason these American companies left, was for greater profits, Only! Did they assist any 3 world worker out of poverty into a productive and comfortable life style? NO! but we got them a job, at .15 an hour. For those who weren’t around during the worst rust belt years, it started around 1960-1970. Recent and applicable history to today’s age. Incidently China makes some nice products. Especially electric/ Electronic. so ends my rant.

edthefox5 and RCO like this.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let's follow the money, our chito in chief certainly is, why should he let natural energy sources take away the profit from destroying the atmosphere, coal and oil to him are real money, global warming, no such thing, solar , wind and waves are to complicated to deal with....

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, the US has the best government corporate money can buy. :(

edthefox5, Prius Maximus, RCO and 2 others like this.
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree Trump is a simpleton.

#27 Andyprius1, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can still get sunburn during an overcast day.

Better yet is to have them above the atmosphere.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    King Canute ( Cnut )

Where's the fun in that?

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an exaggeration. A nuclear or coal plant can keep up its output nearly 24/7/365, while the solar can't do more than the equivalent of about 7 hours full power per 24 hour day in even the best weather locations. So fully eliminating a nuke or coal plant requires several GW of solar capacity plus some separate storage facility.

And the "every year" bit is misleading, one can't use a single solar facility to serially knock off an additional non-solar plant each subsequent year. No multiple counting allowed.

But I'm already doing my part, having upgraded my home to solar powered net-zero status several years ago ...

#30 fuzzy1, Jan 25, 2018
    RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Say what you want, but he's obviously smarter than you or I. The man ran businesses well enough to become a millionaire. I sure as heck didn't, and I'm assuming you haven't either.

Pretty stupid to blame one man for the country's problems - the real blame lies with Congress. I said that to my friends when Obama was in office and am still saying it today. Like the DACA crap - Dem's had their chance and didn't do crap, now it's the Republicans fault? So sick of hearing the Left/Right BS. The whole damn political system is corrupt, and the stupid people who keep re-electing these idiots should be barred from re-producing.

(end of rant)

As for the topic - we had a business start here in my hometown which was to manufacture solar panels. Not sure whatever happened to them because the building is now empty. Couldn't compete? Yet they darn sure got a crapton of money out of our City....

Another issue - the power companies themselves.

I've posted this before (I think), but just getting the power company to "sign-off" on your solar/wind power generation can be at times very difficult. My guess (and this is only a guess) is if you put power onto the grid they have to pay you for it at the same rate they pay the power generators for the electricity. Where I live, there is a push to pay individuals an incredibly lower rate. Why? iono - power company gets paid, why shouldn't any individual? But there are many stories around here where I live that attest to just getting the local REMC to sign off on your connection could take months to a year.

On top of that - you fail to use as much electricity as they expect you to, then you can possibly be fined. What the heck? How is this crap even legal.

Again - see my rant at top - that's probably why. Corruption.

j12piprius likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did either of you inherit millions from your father?

Being good in business requires a person to be good at working within the rules and constraints of the system. That does automatically mean they know what they are doing when it comes to making changes to the system.

13. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Roger that!

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is bull. He was merely 'smart' enough to be born into fabulous wealth, inheriting several hundred millions worth. Since then, he hasn't kept up with Wall Street. He'd be far wealthier today if he simply took that inheritance and put it into a simple S&P500 index mutual fund with dividend reinvestment.

Speak for yourself, because I have. Since he gave a detailed disclosure of his assets to the New Jersey Gambling Commission in 1982, my percentage rate of net worth increase (and I did graduate from college then debt-free and with a small inheritance too) has been much better than his. Yes, I'm still several decimal points behind him, and not growing fast enough to catch up in this or even a second lifetime. But my percentage growth rate since 1982 has been far better than his.

And in fact, even average Wall Street has a better growth rate than he does.

#34 fuzzy1, Jan 25, 2018
  15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've been thinking for a while now "we're gonna get what we deserve"
    What I think makes little difference in how things play out on the bigger stages.
    Are "we" or (you and I) killing solar? hummm - not sure how this looks or reads - - - - - are you?

Just a couple things I've been reading today that caught my interest
    ( nothing to do with solar per se )

“The Clock Is Ticking”: Inside the Worst U.S. Maritime Disaster in Decades
    “The Clock Is Ticking”: Inside the Worst U.S. Maritime Disaster in Decades | Vanity Fair
    Q&A: James Steele on the Seed Police
    Q&A: James Steele on the Seed Police | Vanity Fair

The Clock Is Ticking as Yahoo Hits the Auction Block
    The Clock Is Ticking as Yahoo Hits the Auction Block | Vanity Fair

#35 vvillovv, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps Trump should just openly declare his support of any type of dirty fossil fuel burning, or does he enjoy being a hypocrite. First disrupt trade, then weaken the economy, then threaten war, then attack. This isn’t just about solar panels. The above scenario happened 77 years ago. the 2nd World War. The Japanese could not get the materials and oil needed for their industry, instead of talking and compromising we forced the Japanese to go to War.
    In the late 1800s, I think, there was a huge Trade war which affected the then industrialized world negatively.
    Is this what Trump wants? Set backs.
    The Golden age of trading with China may be over, and that’s a shame, for us and China.
    I will not “dis” any country, based on Government Info, Our Govt, lies about almost everything, sometimes even unintentionally.

pilotgrrl and j12piprius like this.
  17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^
    I'm not much of a student of history but I believe that things are a little different with the PRC (China, not Caly)

They have access to raw materials that the Empire of Japan was lacking in 1936.
    China also hasn't recently invaded another nation recently and committed mass atrocities.
    The ChiComs are engaged in a military buildup, but this seems to be a little bit slower in pace and regional in scale as compared to the Imperial Japanese Military circa 1939, and the PLA/PLAN/PLAF does not have the same stroke that the IJN/IJA enjoyed almost 80 years ago.

More importantly.....CHINA is a prosperous nation whose population problem is a little different than Japan's was in 1933...and they're kicking rudder even now to avoid Japan's CURRENT population woes.

History almost never repeats itself.
    It just sort of rhymes a little....

So....does US/Asia c-2018 sorta rhyme with 1933-1941???

Not.
    Even.
    Close.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  18. Kenrico

Kenrico Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In following the Mirai , saw that some of the hydrogen stations in socal were not really just tanks..it was actually more effective to make the station a producer instead of just storage ..what a county ! <yakov voice>

It has been said the chinese govt did substidize the industry to sell panels below cost to drive competitors out of business .

Want to do solar but did not pull the trigger, now will cost 30 percent more ...can stomach that as it will eventually pay for itself . What bothers me most is that in the last few years ...the local utilities have revamped how they pay and how much they pay individual producers in the grid ..raising the transmission fee of from $7 in past to over a third of my bill ..so that if I did solar today and stayed tied would still have to pay 1/3rd even though the electricity cost may be as low as - $0 - . That and that all rebates and tax credits are tied to grid tie in system ..

Kenny

pilotgrrl and j12piprius like this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Trump should just openly declare his support of any type of dirty fossil@38. I'd have said this was already done. But I could be wrong.

Japanese could not get the materials and oil needed@38. Nor could Germany. It seems to have been very much a resource-access war. But I could be wrong.

Golden age of trading with China may be over @38. Bah. Some quiet accommodations, some reversals of loud language, and status quo ante resumes. A tricky part is US having President bombasting towards... ? ... Never clearly stated.

He might have just emolumented family and.close friends, But Then Came Mueller. And now, poop, I've ruined this thread for any but politics.

Let's suppose that solar industry can survive stronger wrinkles than any distractions here. Because really they are tapping most directly into fusion 1.0.

RCO likes this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So long as the mods agree, we won't hold it against you.;)