1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why my 2007 Prius 12V battery won't charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Suman, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My car was not coming to Drive or Reverse mode. I checked the 12 V battery and the voltage was around 11 V and even after jump start it was not holding charge. So I got a new 12 V "EverStart" battery from Walmart and put in the car. The first day it went well. Everything was working nicely, I drove around 20 miles. But again today the same Problem is happening. I think the battery is not charging. I didn't get any code for the hybrid battery failure. Can any one help me here how to make the charging system up and running again? Thanks..

2. rodri9o

rodri9o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try running the 12V check diagnostic screen on the display with the new battery? It will tell you what the battery voltage on the car, while in accessory mode or idling.

Sometimes batteries are faulty off the rack.

Suman likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not that easy with a hybrid.

FIRST.....you need to check the voltage at the battery while the car is "running" (in ready mode).
    If that comes up at 13.5 V or more, your charging system is probably OK.

THEN......you need to check the voltage on the new battery with the car OFF.
    If it is less than 12.6, then your new battery might just need to be charged up good once with a manual charger.
    Many new batteries come from the factory needing an initial charge.

It is also possible that your new battery is defective too.

Suman likes this.
  4. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Thanks, But you know after putting the new battery I checked the voltage, it was around 12.6 or so. And the car ran also yesterday around 25 miles or so. Thus basically the engine should have charged the new battery. Today morning the same problem started to happen. I will try with a manual charger though.

5. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes I tried in diagnostic mode and it was showing around 12.6. Although I will try changing the battery again to see if that works.

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    25 miles can be done in less than a half hour. 12v Prius batteries take 6-8 hours to fully charge. Also 12v should be tested after a full night's rest.

Skibob likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Of course it SHOULD HAVE......but that doesn't mean that it IS.
    Use your voltmeter to test it.

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NOT a smart move. 12.6 is fine.
    Guessing and taking a shotgun approach to fixing things often turns out BAD.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I'm curious what modifications you had to do to install that battery. Certainly it didn't have the correct posts? Can you post a photo of the top of your battery?

Measure the battery voltage at the center of the actual battery terminals posts. If the measurement changes to about 14v when the car is in ready mode, then the car is doing it's job trying to charge the battery. You could easily just have some type of parasitic drain on the battery that is causing your problem overnight.

10. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Again I changed with a new Toyota TrueStart actual Prius battery. First two days it ran very well. It showed me 14 V in ready condition. Then the same thing is happening. Somehow the 12 V battery is not getting charged in the car. I have no instrument plugged in the car. I checked all the fuses with a multimeter. Now I am thinking may be the only possibility is the dc dc converter may not working . I will check tomorrow..

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If dc dc converter is not working, you won't see 14v when the car is on

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What JC said. If you go back to the "vehicle signal check" screen on the MFD when the car is READY, what voltage is shown? (I think 13.8-ish is what I'd expect in a Gen 2.)

13. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes previously it was showing that..But afterwards when the car did not worked again, it went down to 12.3 V. So I opened the battery and put it in charge. It's getting charged now. I will check again putting it back tomorrow morning.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was that 12.3 read while the READY light was showing on the dash?

15. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No at the diagnosed mode it was 12.3. when I powered it ON it went down less than 12V. So the shifter was not coming to drive or reverse mode.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is an ACC, and an ON, and a READY. You can use the MFD signal check screen in any of the three modes. I am not surprised by a low voltage in ACC (to be honest, 12.3 is a very good voltage in ACC when measured at the MFD, because the MFD generally reads a good fraction of a volt low relative to the battery itself). I am not surprised by a further 0.3 volt drop going from ACC to ON.

However, from ON to READY, it should rise to about 13.8. Do you have a measurement that you are certain was taken when the READY light on the dash was illuminated?

kenoarto likes this.
  17. Suman

Suman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I will let you know tomorrow. Actually my battery is charging now and showing 13.2 V by a voltmeter. I will test putting back it in again.

SFO likes this.
  18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the battery was being charged as you took that measurement, 13.2V is pretty low. The charger should reach a voltage of around 14.4V when charging, until the battery is fully charged. At that point the voltage might drop down to 13.2V to maintain battery charge without overcharging.

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What exactly is it that "showed you 14 V" ?

If you are not measuring that with an external voltmeter applied directly to the battery posts.......you can't trust that the voltage is actually getting TO the battery. Loose or bad connections might be involved here.

In addition to not charging correctly, something might be draining it overnight.

And there is always an outside chance that your new battery is bad too.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's ok, I suggested checking the MFD voltage in READY condition. It does contribute to diagnosis.

If the MFD had continued to show 12-ish during READY, that would have pointed to a DC/DC converter problem (or a wiring issue early in the tree, upstream of the MFD). Now we know the converter is converting and a reasonable voltage is getting at least as far as the MFD. We didn't know that before.

It would be a reasonable next step to carry a voltmeter to the battery posts in back and measure there under the same condition. If the converter is working and the MFD is showing 14 and the battery posts are still showing 12-ish at the same time, then we know there's a problem on the way to the battery, past the sections we know to be working.

That'd be more than we'd know if the OP hadn't checked at the MFD.