1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why my mpg does not match promised values?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Go-Green-Pal, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 2018 Prius 3 at the end of February. Today I filled it up for the second time. My mpg so far are 47.01 on the first fill up and 48.27 now. During the first part, I had 85% city driving and during the second part, I had 55% city driving. The longest trip during my city driving is about 5 miles only. The advertised figures are 50 mpg on highways and 54 mpg on city driving and an overall figure of 52 mpg.

So, I am getting about 4 mpg below advertised values. I drive most of the time in Eco mode. I keep the climate control also in Eco mode. Although new to Prius, I read through and watched some videos on driving tips in this forum and am trying to follow them to the best of my ability.

Are my figures quite unusual or is it normal? Why am I not getting advertised mpg? Does it mean I need to work more on how I drive? Or this kind of variation between specific cars is possible (+/- 5 mpg) or will it improve on future fill ups?

p.s. Sorry for the typo in the title. It should be promised. Don't know how to fix it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can find good info on many gen 4 at fuelly.com, i think you are probably average. city driving, with a lot of stop and go eat up the mpg's. it is costly to keep moving a car from a stop up to speed.

the trouble with 5 miles is that you just get the engine warmed up, and then it's only a few miles to your destination, depending on temperature.

advertised mpg is not based on your particular drive. reset a trip meter, and take it on a 40 mile drive under varied conditions, and see what it shows for mpg.

what tyres pressure are you running?

what highway speed are you running?

#2 bisco, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Go-Green-Pal and wjtracy like this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A Prius does get its advertised MPG once it is warmed up. Short trips will always result in lower MPG. My 2016 Prius 3 has averaged 52 MPG (the computer says 54 MPG) over the two years and 21k miles I have owned it. My 2004 Prius averaged 46 MPG over 12 years and 288k miles.

JeffD

RCO and wjtracy like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I drive where it is very flat*, so I see almost mathematically pure graphs of my MPG.
    Each day it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now the red line may vary by wind direction and temperature, and the green line takes as little as 7 minutes when it is over 90 to 20 minutes below 30 to converge, but it always climbs to that red line then stays there for my 42 mile to 88 mile commute.

With a 5 mile commute, I suspect you never reach the red line. Is it possible for you to combine your trips into a longer single drive?

The EPA specifies the test is to be done in a fully warmed up car, so they have no 'first 5 miles' issue.

* US 49E in Eden, MS to US 61 in Walls, MS is 156 miles and gains 90 feet. (by comparison, the curvature of the earth could hide a 15,500 foot mountain at that distance)

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius will get higher then the stated MPG. It all depends on how you drive it. I drive 25 to work and usual get 50 MPG to work on Gen 3. My co worker who drives with a heavy foot and drives the same miles and route get 38 MPG on her Gen 3 with less miles and newer. She thought I was lying when I first told how much higher MPG I was seeing.

RCO likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done almost 30,000km on my 2016, averaged 4.1 l/100 - US56.8 MPG. Which is substantially less than the advertised figure of 3.4 l/100 combined (same l/100 for urban, 3.5 country). I do more motorway driving than around town 70%/29%.

This last week, I did shorter trips to dentist, pharmacy etc most days, and the daily average was higher (ie worse) like 4.8 -5.1. But next week, I've got a 100km commute on motorway, and it will typically average 3.5-3.7 on those trips. Interestingly, if the speed is steady at the speed limit, it will use more than if it's slower where it slows and regains speed as the traffic varies in speed. A lot has to do with how you drive - driving harder uses more fuel, like in any car.

I think RADAR Cruise, in some situations, may use a little more fuel - but I prefer to use it for the convenience.

I have had situations on an almost deserted road where it's beaten the advertised figure using hypermiling "pulse and glide" technique. But with traffic around, that's not normally possible - but you can use that technique on occasions if traffic is light.

I wouldn't panic - it takes time to get used to the car, and you'll probably find your technique improves.

There are some articles on hypermiling or "pulse & glide" technique which might help.

RCO likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The best thing is to compare to someone in your area or similar terrain. Commute distance, terrain type, traffic type all play into the equation (in addition to things you mentioned like climate control and your driving style).

For example, my 2010 Prius is rated at 51/48/50mpg (or is 49mpg now with the 2017 rating?)

Where I am is flat, low traffic and things are spaced far apart. In the summer, I easily beat the numbers (tank averages are 55-59 mpg).

When I visit home, it's hilly, short distance and heavier traffic. I'll be lucky to hit 50mpg at all (usually 47-49mpg) in the summer.

Same car, different environment. If I were two different people, I'd be ecstatic in one environment and disappointed in the other.

RCO, orenji and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My highway driving was on interstate with a speed limit of 70 mph. Actually, I calculated the mpg for my highway trip separately and it came to 50.4 and that is slightly higher than the advertised 50. So, my low mpg is restricted to city driving situations.

I think your explanation is the primary reason for my low mpg. Unfortunately, I cannot combine my trips into a longer single drive (unless I come back home immediately after reaching work :)) On a serious note, I live a small town where the largest distance between any two points in the town is less than 10 miles. My trip to work is 4.7 miles one way. Most of the stores and other places that I visit are even closer than that.

As it is a new car (have not even hit 1000 miles yet), so far I did not bother to check the tire pressure. Today after fuelling up, I checked. To my surprise I found out that the two tires on the left side were slightly below the recommended pressure level (4 psi less for front tire and 2.5 psi less back tire) whereas the two right tires on the right side were at the recommended level. Of course, I brought all of them to recommended level (which is 36 for front tires and 35 for back tires). Is it normal to lose some pressure like this (especially in an uneven manner)?

#8 Go-Green-Pal, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - it's called carelessness by the pre-delivery guys. (Or - someone's gauge is wrong.)

10. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About the conditions, I live in a small town with light to fair traffic. It is never heavy traffic. Also, the terrain is flat.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have to monitor tire pressure regularly. it is normal to lose a bit regularly, and they can change with ambient temperature.

chinarut likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Start by reading what the advertised information actually tells you. There's far more than just what the big values.

Expectations are a range that will fluctuate based on driving conditions. As others point out there are quite a number of influencing factors to be aware of.

You'll witness MPG go up & down as you become more observant. That data shown while you drive can really teach a lot about efficiency.

first_superior_prius likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Displayed or calculated? Displayed, Toyota tends to BS, anywhere between 5 and 10 percent.

"Advertised" is a bit of a misnomer. All cars are tested under standardized condition, and it's rare to achieve that efficiency in day-to-day driving. For a sense of how your mpg compares to other, check out Fuelly.

ECO mode is mainly a simple remapping of the gas pedal travel, nothing special. Also, are you running the Air Conditioning all the time? That'll put a dent in mpg.

Partially because of the following:

If I can go into "Dutch Uncle" mode: you bought a car and you're surprised that the tire pressures are off? Also you're dismayed that you're not getting the rated mpg. I'm picturing you as being quite young, and this is your first car? You really should read up on basic car maintenance, also the impacts of short trips, higher speeds, tire pressures, on mpg.

Starship16 and WilDavis like this.
  14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sound like a Prime, or even a PiP would have been the perfect car for you. You'd be getting well over 100 mpg.

15. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Another factor might be cold weather, as that can hit MPG pretty hard. Your morning short trips when the temp is less than 45 will have poor MPG performance for sure. My guess is that you had a few cold mornings in March and early April?

RCO likes this.
  16. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks to everyone for your responses.

My conclusion is that not much can be done about it considering most of my trips within the city are quite short. I am going to check the tire pressure every time I fuel up (as it is easier to remedy it on the spot at the gas station). That may improve performance little bit. Finally, I am going to work more on driving tips.

From what I read in this forum, I thought I have to accelerate quickly to the desired speed and then drive it with light foot (I thought this was what is meant by pulse and glide). But, my car gave an explicit message saying "Good acceleration at the start, reduce it to improve".

Those are calculated figures.

I wish I were young. This is my fourth car. However, this is the first experience with hybrids. Given that the car has TPMS, I figured I don't have to proactively check tire pressure like in ordinary cars. In my previous cars, which did not have TPMS, I used to check at least once a month (and before any long distance trips).

#16 Go-Green-Pal, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
    Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It’s important to check and fill tires cold, the high side may have been in the sun, the cold side shade, but you also drove the car.
    Most like 40lbs, the car asks for 36lbs, so a quality pressure gauge and a pump at home are ideal, parked out of the sun.
    The tires lose 1 or 2 pounds a month, so a monthly trickle charge of the 12v battery and top up of air is considered regular maintenance.
    With no pump, overfill at the pump by three or four pounds then the next morning,when cool in the shade, adjust the pressure to your desire.
    A valve stem tool is nice, sometimes stems are loose, loose stems sink ships, err, lose air continuously.

krmcg likes this.
  18. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll take a guess here. Was your Prius parked in the sun and and the right side tires facing it? A rule of thumb is to check and adjust tire pressures when all are at the same temperature.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As I hint, warmer temps will give you better MPG for the next 5 months, then depression hits. Pulse and Glide is an odd driving style where you gain speed then very lightly lose speed. Done very carefully, it can do better than steady state cruising. Done in traffic, it can make you and all other Prius drivers hated.

TPMS is a good failsafe, but as implemented on the Prius, is not ideal. (the wife's anti-Prius tells all 4 PSI reading on the dash)

If the car is new to you, you may wish to read the chapter on customization. Setting you doors to unlock exactly to make you feel safe and the windows to auto up and down as you like, etc. As an example, I park in a garage, so I disabled the delay in the head lights, if I parked on the street I might have wanted a longer delay so I could see all the way to my door. Lots of customizations possible, some you can change, some the dealer SHOULD do for free.

I used to give advice on who should and should not buy a Prius, but as a 2012 v owner, my experience is not up to date. Here is my post about the Gen 2 Prius considering a Prius | PriusChat

20. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may have hit on the mark. I don't have garage and it is quite possible that right side is more exposed to sun.