1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no more V style PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PrangleyPiP, Dec 6, 2017.

1. PrangleyPiP

PrangleyPiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    I'm very new to the PiP world and am likely buying a 2013 over the next week or so.

I guess I'm just wondering how the old style that i am looking to buy has worked out?

I notice that they no longer make a V style version and now have the prime instead. Was there a reason for this shift?

They are asking $17950 for a PiP that has 73k on it. That's on par of cheaper than regular style Prius Vs as far as I can tell.

Anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Pluggo likes this.
  2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In 2016 no PIPs were built. Instead, Toyota took the year off to develop the Prime with double the EV range. I think the price you were given would be a bit high for most cities in the US, even for the Advanced model, but it may still be OK in Ontario.

PrangleyPiP likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

there has never been a V style version of the pip, if you mean the prius wagon.

the gen 1 pip has the same body type as the gen 3 lift back prius, and the new prime plug in has the same body style as the gen 4 lift back prius, but with different looking front and rear.

if $18,000 is a good price in your area, go for it, and all the best!(y)

Mendel Leisk, PrangleyPiP and Pluggo like this.
  4. PrangleyPiP

PrangleyPiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Well I'll be.. those cars look really similar in pictures.. huh. So it's a bit shorter and less bulby than the V.

In the past I owned a 2006 HiHi and my ex drove a Camry Hybrid.. So, I know a little about what's going on here.. but clearly have much to learn.

There aren't exactly a lot of Toyotas around the Motor City area ;)

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip is a great vehicle, if you're comfortable with the interior space and hatchback styling. keep in mind the 10 mile ev range and lack of spare tire.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. PrangleyPiP

PrangleyPiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    This is somewhat unrelated to my original post. I still have yet to buy my PiP.. the current owner is very slow to respond.
    Another concern I have is the fact that I am very active and I'm wondering the following: if I put a thule 4 bike mount off a hitch, will there be enough clearance for kayaks and paddle boards on a roof top thule system?

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This would be a question to post in the regular 3rd Gen Prius area since the car has the exact same dimensions as that one.

PrangleyPiP likes this.