1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

why no oil pressure, water temp gauges

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by [email protected], Sep 26, 2008.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    New owner/buyer Survey....

Which display would better allow you to understand and manipulate the functions of your new Hybrid?

Would you have bought a Prius if only choice A was provided by Toyota?

A:

[​IMG]

B:

[​IMG]

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An oil pressure gauge and a tach gauge are pretty much useless in a car like this. A tachometer in a non-standard shift vehicle is pretty much for show only. As far as the oil guage goes this car will absolutely shut down the moment oil becomes an issue. It's not dummy proof, but close.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have not seen documentation for that, and know of 3 cases where it did not happen that way. Two of them got new engines under warranty, the thrid survived.

Sorry, but unconvinced.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I disagree that a tach is useless for the Prius. In fact, the tach is very useful for keeping the engine in the most efficient speed range to get the best mileage. You are welcome to disagree, but I think you should do more research before making that statement.

6. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can see your point. I should have said that for the vast majority of us a tachometer is useless. Can't you just find the right speed that gives you the most efficient mileage rating. Does it really matter if you have a tach when you all you have is a gas pedal to work with? I'm just playing devils advocate here.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have the tach as feedback, and you know where the engine is most efficient, you can keep it in range. If you don't have a tach, then it is easy to exceed the efficient rpm range. I try to stay below 2400 rpm as a general rule on acceleration, somewhere less than 1300 rpm when cruising on level roads.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I love how Toyota decided to give my Prius a whole screen dedicated to a silly compass yet they can't do a program to display engine info.