1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no software patch fix for ABS response time in Gen II Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mary13

mary13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Oh, I TOTALLY understand this. I know exactly which roads I can do what on when I am driving. The scary part is what about driving in unknown conditions or if an emergency would preclude you from braking the way you normally would? In other words, what if you just needed to brake and NOT think about it?????

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, according to the Prius apologists who frequent this board, you shouldn't be out driving in conditions that could cause the brake system to hiccup. It really is your fault after all for driving in conditions that could lead to the brake system to hiccup.

Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but sometimes comments of the apologists are a bit over the top.

1 person likes this.
  3. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    apriusfan: Agreed, apparently I am not good enough to drive a prius if i'm not willing to put up with what I feel a flaw.

These guys have an answer for everything about why their perfect car is perfect in every way.

All cars have weird things -- brakes shouldn't be one of them.

1 person likes this.
  4. TeeCee

TeeCee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I find this whole debate rather interesting as it explains something that I found a while back.

A few months ago, on a motorway in the cold and wet the traffic did the slowdown and then sudden stop bit. As I increased braking to suit, I reached the limit of traction and the left front wheel locked, causing a sudden and rather unexpected change in direction (rather nasty at the time, but the only damage caused was to underwear). A bit of extra hoof produced ABS as expected and full control.

Some testing later in a car park revealed that slowly and progressively increasing pedal pressure to the lockup point can quite easily defeat the ABS. It seemed to me as if ABS is reluctant to cut in if you haven't given it enough boot to cause the brake assistance to intervene.

I'd just made a mental note (thump hard for quick stop) and written it off as a minor foible of the car. It never even occurred to me that it could be considered a fault. This is an '09 car and I'm guessing that the problem (if it is such) is somewhere in the Skid Control ECU not firing ABS when the Brake Pedal Stroke Sensor isn't indicating a rapid pedal depression.