1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why no Trac Off button

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hugh, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gahgogow

gahgogow New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    I
    big mistake

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did he specifically mention the hybrid version or is he telling you that's how all Toyota TRAC OFF systems work (I never tried to see if the traction control came back on in my friend's Camry if I turned it off.) My guess is the latter. (Like how a technician told me my tyre pressures were 32PSI all around because cars with wheels of this size use this pressure... he specifically mentioned the Corolla.. until I pointed to the door panel sticker...)

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He said this was the way all Lexus traction control systems work (they call the Nanny, in that you can't force it to remain off). I would guess that would similar to all Toyota traction systems. The point is, the Trac Off function works the same for the Lexus Hybrids and they all have the function. I thinks John 1701a is right about the tires, but I don't think we have been getting straight info from Toyota regading the absence of Trac Off function for Toyota Hybrids. Good tires would help, but it is still necessary to rock out of a snow drift sometimes, unless Global warming will turn Minnesota into a Mediterranean climate.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can rock my 2006 quite well, and have done so many times to get out of snow. The traction control on the 2006 was much improved over the earlier models. Apparently the Gen III is vastly better than even the 2006 and newer Gen II models. When traction control does what it is supposed to do, there is no reason to turn it off.

Tom

5. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is that why they call you Prius Pusher?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm only a Prius Pusher when rocking doesn't work.

Tom

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, Fernley NV, gateway to the "loneliest road in america".
    You weren't near Sand Mountain, were you? That's where I ran
    a minor risk of getting stuck but backed out soon enough.
    However, they're right in that *spinning* is what got you dug in
    that far. Letting a bunch of air out of the front tires would
    probably have done a little better in that situation.
    _H*

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was probably 60 or 70 miles from Sand Mountain just off of NV 446 by the shores of Pyramid Lake. Yes trying to get out dug me in a bit deeper, of course once the engine under cover is setting on the sand that's as deep as you can go anyway. I did have a tire gauge and a 12V compressor also a hydraulic jack and a board to set it on. I was looking for some pieces of wood or flat rocks to put under the wheels when I happened to glance at the road and saw the Deputy Sheriff going by, fortunately he saw me too.

The really dumb part is that I know better, I've been running around in that country for years and I am well aware how deceptive the terrain can be. I just got over confident, but it's a good lesson and I was lucky to get help as quickly as I did.

The tow truck driver stayed well back and we run his winch cable out about 50' or so, he said he had gotten himself stuck pulling people out of such places.

9. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No one is saying it doesnt work, but in some instances it is safer for it to be off. An option to turn it off is not exactly expensive or anything that is hard to do. It's just stupid engineers at their best