1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why not the C-Max?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mr_yellow, Oct 7, 2013.

1. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hey guys, so the prius v's trunk seems to be significantly bigger. Does anyone know the exact depth and width of the trunk with the rear seats up?

I may be fooling myself to think the c-max has similar cargo capacity.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is 4 cheesecakes by 6 cheesecakes.

[​IMG]

cwerdna likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an interesting discussion of cargo volume from another on-line community. Like me, this guy is having trouble understanding the cargo space numbers vs. reality. In this thread, Toyota is suggested to have manipulated numbers for one vehicle by for example, including the space actually occupied by seat itself. Seems like there is an implication there is still room for manipulation/interpretation. The method is SAE J110o but they change it every 4-5 yrs, last revision was 2009.

CARGO/LUGGAGE VOLUME: When standardized isn't always standardized

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Jimbo, you have a problem. It's time we talked. :p

The v is larger, there is no doubt but the CMax is no slouch either. These stones are 12 in. wide with room to spare on each side plus a few bags of topsoil in the background. Still room for two slaves, umm I mean, kids who helped load it all.

[​IMG]

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am riding with Jimbo...yummy!!!

6. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The C-Max cabin is slightly taller and that yields a few more cu in of "space" (compared to the Liftback. The vee still much bigger).

The higher profile gives it worse fuel economy at highway speeds. The C-Max does well in city driving but once on the highway the vee gets much better mpg. The C-max highway mpg gets a boost from being able to EV up to 80mph (post mod). However, there is no free lunch here. Once the engine starts due to depletion of the battery, the engine has to do double duty (drive the wheels and charge the battery). The mpg quickly drops to 32-37 mpg depending on how fast you drive. Looking at fuel consumption screens you can easily calculate the mpg while the engine was running. It's pretty similar to a non hybrid with a 2.0 l engine. The vee engine is running at 46 mph and above. It will yield 50-55 mpg at 60 mph (as long as you don't have 3000' elev gains). At 65 mph, it's around 45-50 mph. My last road trip in August was 2300 miles. My average mpg for the 2300 miles was 49 mpg. That included a huge 6000' elevation climb to South Lake Tahoe.

My advice is:

Buy the Prius v for:
    1) Toyota Reliability
    2) More room
    3) Better overall mpg
    4) Proven Hybrid system.

Buy the C-Max for:
    1) The better interior fit and finish
    2) It's "fun to drive" because it has more hp - of course it will cost more at the pump.

ABOVE ALL ... GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING. BUY A CAR THAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY. Practical is great but not if it doesn't make you happy!!!

wjtracy likes this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Since the rear seats slide forward, there would be two measurements, one with them slid back and one forward. . Plus you'd have to define the angle of the seat back as they recline and the height at which the measurement was taken.

My memory was the C-max has the same approximate cargo space as the liftback Prius with the v having 30-50% more depending on the measurement spot chosen. Drive one over to the other dealers and look and you'll see the obvious differences.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota claims 34.3 cf with the rear seats up. (they fold up?)

Motor Trend did a comparison test.
    - http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1304_2012_toyota_prius_v_vs_2013_ford_c_max_hybrid_comparison/viewall.html#ixzz2h8RCrNtS

catgic likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i haven't measured them, but we have both and visually, they look the same to me. the c max looks small, and i'm curious to see if the extra cubes are in the ceiling.

10. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    You have both prius v and c-max?

Would you be willing to just grab a width x depth measurement for both cars? Need to figure out how much space would be left in each car after a stroller in loaded up with the seats up. We were testing the Mazda 3 and found out its trunk is *just* wide enough for our stroller to the point that both sides are rubbing the stroller. Not ideal.

I'm mainly concerned about usable floor space and not the full volume size.

Thanks!

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    48 wide by 37.5 to 44 deep depending on where the rear seat is slid. Actual measurement. And the rear seat at it's forward position could still fit kids. Adults would depend on who was in the front seat.

As for real world mileage, look at fuelly.com and see how hundreds of people report their averages for each car to see non-EPA figures. My mileage is lower than some because I just drive it, maybe with a slightly lighter foot than I drove with other cars but I try no tricks. A/C on auto and up a steep hill climbing in speed to 55 just out of my development so I get relatively little electric only. Last week I drove a lot on rural roads 55-65MPH and got 44.2 on that tank. Since that is double my prior CRV I'm happy.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The v has a much larger floor.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting article....

"The funny thing about this comparison is that Toyota didn't want us to do it. They reluctantly agreed to give us a Prius V to pit against the new Ford C-Max Hybrid, but they also insisted on handing over a regular-flavor Prius, too. It's sad for Toyota, but they can't control what I write. (Example: The Prius is one of the worst-handling cars on the market.) However, Toyota does have a point, at least when it comes to space behind the rear seat. The Prius V has 34.3-40.2 cubic feet of space in back....."
    Cars are different things to different people.
    I know people who enjoy Priuses (I'm one) and I know people who couldn't be given one.
    Spoiler Alert: The C-Max only gets about 41 MGP to the Prius' 48...although I suspect that some of this delta is driver rather than equipment. When you compare station wagon to station wagon.....the delta is two or three MPG....and some people think that the CM is well worth the a few MPG!!
    I'm not really wild about Fords, but you have to remember that they used to be married to Mazda, and they learned one HECK of a lot about building cars from that union.
    Like I said.....interesting article.

catgic likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Buying a car to fit a stroller seems to me to be a little shortsighted (unless you plan on more kids) since they'll be out of it rather quickly. We bought (or maybe were given) one of those monster do-it-all strollers but quickly ditched it for a cheap, light umbrella stroller once they could sit up. I'd suggest looking at something with sliding doors. The Mazda 5 is a good candidate at thousands less than these hybrids and better mpg than a mini-van (what's so mini about them anyways?).

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Gen2 Prius is now in serious grandparent service, with 2 huge childseats in the back seat, and we keep a large stroller in the back hatch with no problem. It is bulky and takes up a lot of space. After reading one thread about rear-end collision, showing picture with Prius rear hatch compartment "accordianed", I decided to leave stroller out except when we know we need it. So now it takes up space on the garage.

You probably need to visit dealer and check fit or rent a Prius, but let's face it this another area where Prius shines is cargo space.

16. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Not to derail the thread, but concerning the whole baby stroller bit, yes, I realize how silly it sounds to get a car based on a stroller but we're the type of people that won't change cars often and most likely drive the car to the ground. we currently only share one car between the two of us and my wife doesn't even drive it either since it's manual. It's 10 years old and still kicking and I love it (WRX Wagon). So this new car is for my wife primarily and the car will be driven 99% city and short distances (<5kms) which is why I'm leaning towards Hybrids. I don't like the idea of subjecting a regular gas engine to so many short commutes in it's lifetime. Gas mileage will rocket and the engine isn't given enough time to warm up.

So we've decided to get more room than we think we need just to plan for the future. Things like being able to toss a stroller straight in vs. sideways are things we're even looking at. We've considered the Mazda 5, SUV's, small hatches, etc... we're all over the board and haven't really ruled out anything yet.

I do worry we're going too big too fast and a small hatch is all we need and it would save us a lot of money too (we won't even drive enough to pay off the hybrid premium. I've done the math)... but there's always that "what if" scenario in the back of my mind...

Anyways, I'm just rambling now...

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Critical info. Hybrids won't deliver optimum mpg at such short distances on a cold engine either. Yes, better than a traditional gasser but don't expect anything near the big numbers bantered around by forum members on hybrid sites. This is where plug-in's shine.

Good luck in your search. (y)

zhenya likes this.
  18. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Agreed. We aren't 99% trips that short, but at least 50%, and the only reason I have a Prius is because it plugs in. On the rare occasions when I drive it on my short trip (2 miles or less) with no battery, it seems to get low 30's. I've even seen upper 20's when there's been a hill in there. Most regular gas cars get in the teens in these conditions.

19. mr_yellow

mr_yellow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, I know hybrids need to warm up too but i suspect the long term effects are definitely less severe compared to a regular gas engine. I currently drive my WRX 99% city too and relatively short distances and I've noticed a huge drop in gas mileage. I'm sure I'm burning more oil too.

skwcrj likes this.
  20. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No doubt. Interestingly, the cabin height difference is only 1".