1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why now's the time to buy an SUV

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by CMonster, Sep 14, 2006.

1. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 18 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]334696[/snapback]</div>
    I get the wagon deffense. But the MPG on certain SUVs is criminal, when technology exists to increase that number. It is comendable that you want to go solar, more people should. But the problem is not just your inefficient SUV; its the millions of them combined that casues problems.

Adam

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adammc @ Oct 19 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]335090[/snapback]</div>
    No, it's not. You simply don't approve. Huge difference.

3. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 19 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]335135[/snapback]</div>
    Criminal not in the legal sense...in the foolishness, sensless fashion. Check it...
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/criminal

I'm not bashing you individually. I feel our legistlatures have let us down when it comes to efficiency standards for large autos, and letting petro stay too cheap for too long. All the while, lining the pockets of questionable governments when they could be taxing the hell out of it and building the best schools in the world and providing free healthcare to every american.

Adam

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We all waste a scandalous amount of energy. But it's just really easy to see other peoples' waste, and really easy not to notice our own. Some of our waste is direct, and some is indirect. And some that we justify as "necessary" is really rooted in our lifestyle choices.

I drive a Prius, so it's easy to point the finger at DocVijay for driving an SUV. But:

How about those of us who:

Choose to live in a bigger house than we really need, thereby using more energy to heat and cool it.

Choose to live in the suburbs, or otherwise far from work, so we "need" to drive lots of miles.

Purchase products shipped from far away, thereby indirectly consuming energy used in shipping.

Take vacations involving long-distance travel.

All these things are choices! None of them are necessities. Remember the fellow who sees the speck in his neighbor's eye but not the log in his own, or the bit about casting stones.

I hate SUV's. I hate them with a passion. I wish they were illegal. I smile when I see the SUV at the gas station and how much it costs the poor slob to fill it up, and I delight as the price goes up. I'll vote for a ten-dollar-per-gallon tax on gas. But if we're going to talk about energy waste, let he who wastes no energy cast the first stone.

Tke yourself off the grid, sell your car and switch to bicycling or walking as your ONLY transportation, grow all your own food with hand labor, purchase nothing produced outside your neighborhood, live where you can get by without heating or cooling your home, and then come back and criticise people who drive inefficient cars.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 19 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]335357[/snapback]</div>
    Amen!

6. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    People survived the first 80 years of cars without SUVs. Remember the station wagon? Just as much room. Women like SUVs because they feel safer in them, with all the trucks on the highways, and they also afford a higher road view. But they are too heavy and bulky, and are expensive to buy and operate.

7. rxcrider

rxcrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Why now's the time to buy an SUV

All I needed was for my 4Runner to get 40 MPG and I would have been fine. Instead I'm driving a prius, wishing I could tow my 6x10 trailer with it and really missing the large tires, ground clearance and a hood that wasn't a rock magnet from my 4Runner on the way to work this morning as the construction zone on my commute was a real mess with potholes full of water and debris on a ground asphalt surface. It is all a compromise and each individual needs to find their best option. For me, most of the time, the prius is my best option. For a friend of mine, who is a civil engineer needs a 4WD SUV. The ground clearance of something like an outback wouldn't cut it in a mile or two of muddy ruts. where his 4 dr Dakota is scraping the ground peridically. Pick what is best for you and let others do the same.

8. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

America's lust for SUVs will force auto manufactures to build more efficient hybrid SUVs. GM and Ford are very reactionary companies. They love to sell SUVs & Pickups. As this market shrinks we should see SUV mpg start to increase. Once gas hits $6 a gallon we will definintely see a response from American manfactures. Whether that response is smaller engines with turbos or better hybrid SUVs I don't know. SUVs are a good size for the hybrid concept. What can SUVs haul, around 2000lbs? Thats a lot of battery they could hold.

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

The Chevy Suburban has been around since 1936. The basic format has been the same for 80 years: Truck Chassis + Station Wagon Body = SUV

[​IMG]