1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Prius suits us better than the Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KeinoDoggy, Mar 27, 2016.

1. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the author is correct. I treat my Prius as a dependable, economical transportation. I don't want to worry about charging the battery each day. When it gets to the point that electric cars can get me through several work days without charging, then I would possibly be interested.

The Chevy Volt perfect car - Business Insider

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure that's true for most people. slowly but surely, a small but significant group of people are moving over as technology improves. in 5 years, i think we'll see your request filled.:)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, it puts the 600 mile range of the Prime into perspective. I didn't realise that the Volt's total range was that low. I thought it was at least 500 miles.

@Trollbait , that term "meatier" is used in this American article to describe the Volt lol.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wireless charging will be a game changer. No more plugging in. They just need to get the standards worked out.

dbcassidy likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and the efficiency.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's going to take longer than 5 years I'm afraid.

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is that...It could always double as a microwave.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how bout an automatic robotic plug inserter?

steve jefferies likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the wider perspective, very few people are driving even the low endl 420(about what I can get with the Sonic) mile range car the full tank range in a day or two. The PiP has a smaller tank than the gen3, but the more likely driving pattern of a person means it can go further miles between tank fills.
    Doesn't Tesla have a prototype?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have been thinking of trying out a Volt. I have a mix of personal cars and company cars ... so I'm thinking of getting a Volt on the next company purchase. I would need to put in three power stations :(

I'm just out of the new Volt range for my normal runs. I have not driven the new Volt -- the old Volt had a much nicer interior vs the Prius ... The new one looks just as nice. I wish the Volt was a hatchback -- The Prius being a hatch is what makes the car so great for us -- shore and county place (always carting stuff)

The Toyota reliability was a big factor in getting the first Prius. My thought was .... How bad can it be? Even if it does not meet all my needs I knew it would be useful in some capacity and would be reliable.

I'm not sure about the Chevy reliability.

Rebound and Silver bullit like this.
  11. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We have 2013 jetta hybrid, 2014 volt and 2015 prius 5 ! If the Volt had the same cargo space as to the prius I would opt on another volt which is better in all ways except ice mpg! With rebates federal/state & ca hov sticker it comes out way cheaper that a prius under idea conditions we have gotten 63 hwy miles on a single charge! We haven't put a drop of gas in for the last 14 months.

12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    With its EV range and overnight recharging, GM is saying that typical Volt customers will be going to the gas station an average of about once every 1,000 miles (as monitored via OnStar statistics).

Good news! The Volt is and always has been a hatchback so the rear storage space is easy to access.

13. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But significantly smaller than the Prius.

14. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    The problems with electrics is the charging. A full charge takes hours, no matter what the car.

Maybe if stations had standard battery packs, you could drop your discharged battery off, and pick up a charged one, you could bring the refueling down to minutes.

jp

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that is the advantage of electrics :)
    The problem with ICE cars is you have to take time out of your day to travel to a gas station and pump a carcinogenetic, flammable fluid into your vehicle on a regular basis.

The disadvantage of electrics is that the ability to plug in overnight is only a convenient option for about half of people.
    While this is a disadvantage for some, it isn't a problem for EVs until they exhaust the market of people that DO have that convenience.

Rebound, mmmodem, Redpoint5 and 2 others like this.
  16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is no wrong or right. It just comes down to what you need, what you want and what you can afford.

Rebound and Zythryn like this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The underlying point of the article is rather impressive... You can actually compare a gen-3 Prius to a gen-2 Volt.

It shouldn't make any sense to do that. One is 5 years older and doesn't even have a plug.

We've heard all the rest before. But now with Prime on the way, this type of comparison comes off as just floundering to keep readership active. Why wouldn't there be any mention whatsoever of a plug-in Prius or any of the other plug-in hybrids being offered? For that matter, why not compare to GM own's hybrid... the upcoming Malibu?

18. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the Author, who owns a 2011 Prius, is just giving his perspective. I feel his points are valid. It is much easier to hop in the standard Prius and drive without worrying if I remembered to charge it the night before. A comparison between the Volt and a Prius Plugin would not align with what he is trying to say. Until we get an all electric vehicle which is as easy to keep charged and goes long distance without worrying about finding a charging station, the tried and true Prius Hybrid system is just easier to live with.

bisco likes this.
  19. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, plugging the Volt every night for 365 days will not cost $240.00/year

The author does not pay for electricity!

20. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    That's really a bit silly. On rare occasions I forget to plug in my Volt if I get distracted by something as I'm getting out of the car. This is mildly annoying the next time I go to drive somewhere.

Why? Because driving on electricity is more fun, relaxing, and pleasant. But, no big deal -- I just get in the car and drive away on gasoline. In a convention Prius I would be doing that every day and would be missing out on the joy of driving on battery.

The Volt or Prius Prime are hybrids. They just give you the additional benefit of a more enjoyable driving experience and for many areas of the country cause lower emissions of global warming gasses. I just switched my utility plan to 100% renewable solar so I'm doing much of my driving carbon-free. Assuming you have the convenient ability to charge at home and/or work there really isn't a downside other than a possible modest initial price increase. Only upside.

#20 Jeff N, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Zythryn likes this.