1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Prius suits us better than the Volt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KeinoDoggy, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I assume you are talking about the size of the gas tank? Large tanks are about two things:

1. Reducing the frequency of going to the gas station while doing routine local driving.

2. Reducing the frequency of refueling during a road trip.

Recharging the battery overnight takes care of item 1. As I said, typical gen 2 Volt owners will be going to the gas station about half as often as someone with a 600 mile tank on a non-plugin car.

That leaves road trips. Is it really that much of a burden to stop 5 minutes for gasoline every 300-400 miles? I've done several long road trips in my Volt including one from California to Ohio. It really wasn't a problem to stop every 4-5 hours to gas up, urinate out, and buy more food for myself at Starbucks, Taco Bell or whatever. Plus, whenever it was convenient on the road or at my destination I could plug in and recharge my car if I wanted to.

#21 Jeff N, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Redpoint5 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hate when i forget to plug in.:mad:

3. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My old 98 explorer had a 22 gallon tank and only had about 280 miles of range, so really all of these cars are great in comparison. I never really had a problem with the inconvenience of refilling, pure MPG is all that really bothers me. I choose the Prius because it can carry more cargo, and it was the most fuel efficient and high tech(touch screen, bluetooth, MFD, navigation, etc) car I could get for 20k$

bisco likes this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well...it's cheaper to drive than my V10 3/4 Ton at least.

5. KV1955

KV1955 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually think he was talking about the hatchback space. And it is smaller in the Volt...although significantly may be overstating it. As someone who has a PIP and a new Volt, I'm stunned by the angst people seem to have about plugging in overnight. If you have a garage it takes 5 seconds. In my Volt, I wake up with around 65 miles of battery charge available (now that the weather is nice), which is more than I use most all of the time (I went almost 1500 miles on my original tank of gas before adding a few gallons to complete a long trip). If I do forget to plug it in I get 43mpg on the gas engine. Maybe it's not for everyone, but the Volt is a really good solution for a lot of people who aren't quite ready for a full EV.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's amazing, a lot of people ask me if it's a pain. they just can't conceive of going to all that work.:rolleyes:

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm not sharing your point of view, not that I will tell you are right. Your concept and needs are with out much foundation

8. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that supporting me. lol. Of course this guy's opinion would not be true for all. However for myself, and others it is a very real observation from his personal experience.

9. Pijoto

Pijoto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Volt does seem like the perfect car, and I've wanted one for years, but it and plug-in's will always suffer from two critical flaws, you need a place to actually plug it in, and earn a high enough household income to take full advantage of the tax credits to make it economically viable. Most Apartment dwellers won't be able to consider these cars, like me and an increasingly growing percentage of the population, and as a single younger guy, I don't earn enough to qualify for the maximum amount of tax credits available. Maybe in another decade or so, Plug-ins will drop lower in price, and more infrastructure is built up to support these cars for the masses to consider.

bisco likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. I'd be interested to see the driving pattern of Prime owners. Perhaps the extra 120 miles over the course of the tank is meant to offset the reduced battery capacity compared to the 2G Volt. I stretch my tank on my Gen 3 and will take advantage of the 500 mile capability in the summer.

I'll be curious to see what the stats are for the Prime. For me, I'll be plugging in the Prime every other day (taking into account side trips to the supermarket and not strictly commuting). The 2G Volt will last me a 5-7 days (probably closer to 7).

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the meantime, we need people with money, garages, the gov and the mfg.'s to keep pushing.

Pijoto likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll be going from a 125 MPG commute average to around 999 MPG.

I plug in at work, taking advantage of the huge (85 kWh) solar-array for recharging. My commute is 38 miles round-trip.

bwilson4web, iplug, Jeff N and 2 others like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see, with the volt, there's no need to plug in.(y)

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The reliability is much better than in the past, and growing up with mostly GMs, I'd say they were good then too.

How long would the Volt sit at the charging locations? How much charge do you expect the car to have when you get there? Perhaps a plain dedicated outlet is all or need, or maybe you don't need to charge at all those locations. The 53 miles EV is quite a bit for most before the ICE comes on. While 42mpg or so isn't Prius great, it is really good compared to what 95% are buying.

What do they do with their phones? Toss them?

15. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I'm talking about the storage space.

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do these apartment dwellers have a parking spot? If so, they have a spot to charge.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Are you're asking me? If so.....

If they have covered parking, there are electrical conduits already there for lighting. If uncovered, wireless charging can become an option or 120v routed to each spot alot like wiring for block heaters up north. Many apt. dwellers around here even have the choice of personal garages.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you.

20. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I read a article a corporation had a fleet of volts, cmax energi and prius plug in, employees was fighting over the volt! AFTER all the work and mods done on my Prius its much better than my wife's volt!