1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why should I fill out this J.D. Power Vehicle Quality Survey?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by commuter, May 23, 2012.

1. commuter

commuter Untitled

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I understand the need for manufacturers to gather information from new car owners as far as customer satisfaction with the product. This isnt my first time getting the survey, and it wont be my last. But I looked at the survey from a different angle this time.

To be compensated a mere $1.00 (enclosed in the envelope) for what appears to be about 30 minutes of my time to fill out the survey? C'mon now, J.D. Power. :rolleyes:

The final entry on the survey is rather galling as well:

Will I get compensated at your standard $2.00 per hour rate for my time? Sign me up!

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The reason for filling out the survey is that you get to have your voice heard by the manufacturers. If this does not matter to you, then there's no reason to fill it out, unless you're the sort of person who enjoys filling out surveys. The dollar is a psychological guilt trip thing. You're supposed to feel bad if you keep their dollar without giving them your half hour. But sending you the dollar was their choice. You don't owe them anything for it.

Or you could spend three minutes (or one minute) on the survey, and then send it back unfinished, with a brief note: "Three minutes (or one) of my time is what a dollar buys you."

3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you like the car return the survey. Higher ratings translate into better brand perception which adds to higher resale value.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I intend filling out the survey- but I'm waiting a few months in case more gremlins appear.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep the dollar, don't do the survey. Done.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always fill out the survey forms, whether or not I like the product. Actually.....I'm much more compelled to pick at nits when I'm returning one of these surveys than I am to sing praises about a product.
    Manufacturers generally think that they're doing a pretty good job. Product surveys, particularly those done by third parties (JDP) are a powerful tool to disabuse said OEMs of this notion when they do stupid stuff.......like putting non-extendable visors in a $25,000++ car, for example.
    THEY came to YOU with the dollar and the forms. If you're not inclined to spend a few minutes answering the questions, then spend the dollar on a lottery ticket, put the "give-a-crap" switch in the "DO NOT" position and go on with your life.
    Personally? The last few JDP forms I filled out were done in about 10 minutes, which by my very humble math skills is $6 an hour. Not a "living wage" to be sure, especially if you're a rich liberal however (comma!) If you're not willing to fork over the time and/or if it takes you a really long time to fill out the form, then somebody like JDP will probably be better off without your data.....if you know what I mean. :)
    Good Luck!!