1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why So Few Moonstone Interiors?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Husker4theSpurs, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Been poking around and looking at Primes in the Northeast (as I seem to do each year) and was wondering if anyone knew why there have consistently seemed to be so few Moonstone (lighter gray) interiors available? This seems like it's consistently the case over time. The black interior is just so monotone and dark to me (and I usually like black interiors).

I should note I've been looking at Limiteds.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least they have Primes in your area. I can assure you they are not diverting the Moonstones here.
    If you’re willing to wait a month+ dealers can usually get one that hasn’t been assigned to another dealership or trade for one with your specifications. Although my dealer doesn’t stock Primes they did a great job getting me the one I wanted. Twice actually after the first one sort of fell off the truck. Really.

#2 schja01, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  3. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually they don't for the most part ... I live in the Midwest but am willing to fly and drive one home.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't it simply how many they make and how quickly they sell out? I don't know how they decide how many of the particular combinations of exterior and interior colors they make, but for many models of cars, there seems to be predominant interior color. For Prius PRIME, it is definitely the black interior over Moonstone.

I was just curious, so I actually counted how many Moonstones are in inventory at Buyatoyota.com. For XLE and Limited, 5 out of 115, and for LE, 6 out of 75. Yeah, they are rare. I just found out that there is Moonstone fabric for LE, but I don't think I have even seen a picture of that interior. Does someone have this?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s easier to sell a car with a black interior. Dealers don’t want to keep cars on the lot for too long.
    I can’t find the stock image (and Toyota removed it from their site) so here’s one from another thread for the Gen 4.

Cloth vs Softex? | PriusChat

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link. Yeah, I like my black interior better. For one thing, unlike Softex, you can not wipe off the cloth seats easily. I think black would be less obvious with any of the inevitable stains. Also, I do not like the light color dash. I don't mind all black, but I just don't like the piano black that attracts dust and glare a lot. I am still thinking of wrapping the piano black part of the dash trims with something less shiny.

markrivers likes this.
  7. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I bought my Prius Prime in 2017, the dealer had only one, in Blizzard White with the black interior. I didn't know about the moonstone interior until I saw one the next year. I would have preferred that. I looked at the brochure for the RAV4 Prime, and see that it only comes with a black interior, although some of them have red stitching. Unfortunate.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wanted the brick interior in the Sonic, but known could be had at a dealer, and special order wasn't an option in order to get the deal I had.

Dealers don't like ordering the odd options for their stock, but this can be regional. light color interiors might be more common in the hot states. Which doesn't help with the Prime, as most of the Southern state dealers want nothing to do with it.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really? I did not get the memo.

When I was researching my Gen 4 I thought the Moonstone would show any dirt too quickly. When I saw a black interior at a dealer I thought it was too dark with everything inside black. I ended up getting the almond? interior.

The crooked local salesman insisted the Trim Two was only available with black interior until I showed him in his own sales brochure. o_O

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Dealers generally want safe, conservative, neutral colors for the cars they order. Something that won't turn a potential buyer off from a car that otherwise has everything they want. That's why the standout colors tend to be less common at a dealer. Dark interiors are more common because of they tend to hide dirt better.

It is the same theory into decorating a house for sale.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just wrapped my wife's piano black trim yesterday. Still has bubbles to work out, but it's already an improvement.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did you use to wrap? What about the steering wheel and around the shifter?

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was more than happy with the dark gray interior in my previous Toyotas but that was not an option.

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pics:whistle:?

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you. I wanted a moonstone interior but moonstone was not available in Canada until 2019 and the 2019 was a very short model year (Feb-Apr 2019). 2020, if you recall, moonstone became white/light grey instead of white/black.

Black is too dull but I do have some of the "bone china" white accents that people here seem to hate. I think it helps offset the dark tone. Another reason I wanted Moonstone is that because on the 4-seater Prime, the rear seats have the same design as the front seats, so it looks like 4 individual seats and the Moonstone really highlights that.

The beige interior is "Harvest Beige". In Canada, that was only available on the Prius Technology with Advanced Package (i.e. it was only available in SofTex) and I believe only available with Hypersonic Red.

16. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

The reason why I chose the black interior.
    My 2014 land cruiser has the brown/ sand stone interior, and it’s real leather. Dirt shows a lot as well as the wrinkles on the seats. ( PT aging beautifully) as compared to my other cars/SUVs with all black leather seats

if you have kids and/or dogs. White, cream, brown interiors are hard to maintain.

17. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I love my Moonstone interior! I was lucky enough to find the combo I wanted pretty easily last year (Titanium Glow with Moonstone interior) so I purchased it right away. It's a nice grayish, almost black with white. I have not had any problem with keeping the interior clean, it's not an issue.

18. Tips

Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2020 exterior is titanium glow moonstone interior. Love it!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#18 Tips, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2020
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either way there is no good way to keep white interior looking clean.

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, our Pathfinder Hybrid purchased 5 years old used has real leather seats but all beige interior. The leather show substantial wrinkles and cracks. I really wish they were black as that color was available on this model. But hey, I almost never pick a car by color, unless all being equal and the color is the only difference.