1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why so many unsold 2017 Prime models ?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by prius4owner, Mar 15, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that should get you to 10 years, unless there is a design problem we don't know a bout yet, like gen 3.

2. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep. Me too. I will drive this sucker to the ground. Or at least 125k miles. I went ahead and got their extended warranty just for piece of mind. It includes everything bumper to bumper. Only thing I would have to pay for is the annual emissions inspection in NY state.

bill188 and ClemsonSteve like this.
  3. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Probably because they are so aggressive and too sharp for those of us that grew up with the prior generations of Prius! I truly despise the redesign! Plus to get the worthwhile upgrades you have to go to an Advanced which is really pricey! :(

#83 MMBH, May 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2018
    RobH and dubit like this.
  4. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much for the Prime?? :)

What design problem??

#84 DaneH5, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2018
    Geo Dude and kenoarto like this.
  5. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I inquired about a 'plugin' at a local dealer most had no idea what I was asking them. Finally found someone who knew more. He said they only have seen two all year and one customer still has one on order and waiting. He said maybe toyota wasn't making many, No they all all stuck in SoCal !! :rolleyes:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oil from the blowby clogs the egr and can cause the head gasket to fail around 100k

see @danlatu 's thread 'oil catch can'. it can be solved, but not by toyota

#86 bisco, Sep 24, 2018
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, the southern Toyota distributor is independent of corporate, and they want nothing to do with the Prime. Many wanting the car in that region ended up buying from a Northeast state.

The fix in the gen4 was to take cooler exhaust gases from further downstream. Hopefully, this works out long term.

8. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May want to check into their policies. Such as support, parts and warranties. Lots of first gen teslas coming out of warranty or for those in any kinda accident most are totaled because of cost. Also nightmares with different things failing like door handles, etc. $$$ for teslas to fix and if not in warranty or a rebuild there is no support. Also reports of tesla shutting off stuff like supercharging, updates, nav , etc. for not having them fix something. Check out rich rebuilds on YT channel. Good info there!

benagi and Geo Dude like this.
  9. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I almost purchased in MD myself!

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ask me next year.

Bob Wilson

kenoarto and DaneH5 like this.
  11. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First in line!! Remember me ....... :)

What did you end up doing?

You could buy four more at that price and sell them for $20K and have yours for free then!! Let me know!! :D

#91 DaneH5, Sep 24, 2018
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    careful what you repeat about tesla. a lot of these reports are coming from people who are trying to dive the stock price down, or oil industry shills. they mix enough truth with the lies to make it believable.
    although there have been problems (like every car company) they have come a long way.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Specifically, the problem is the independent Toyota distributor for the Southeast Region, who doesn't want anything to do with these new-fangled low-profit-margin plugins. Toyota Dealerships in the southeastern states are required to go through this distributor. Toyota set up this arrangement back when Toyota was trying to break into the U.S. market, and they still seem to be stuck with it.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In fairness, Southeast did put out a Prius commercial that showed the car like a normal car while Toyota was still doing the artsy, cute ads.

Toyota, and others, have incentives for the dealers that would cover the lower margin. They are worried about the loss of service revenue with plug ins.

alexcue likes this.
  15. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lot of these the guy is actually calling tesla in the video and you hear their non-supported response! Can't beat that for straight from the horses mouth so to speak

bisco and Geo Dude like this.
  16. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why, because their mechanics wouldn't know how to work on them??

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, because there's not much to work on, starting with oil changes, air filters and etc.

Trollbait and Old Bear like this.
  18. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's true. It's a little bit like maintaining a computer... run diagnostics, swap out boards. Tough stuff is little things like cooling fans which can pose mechanical problems which don't always show up on system diagnostics.

Even so, there's no reason to believe that various other components like brakes, tires, A/C, wipers, seat adjusters, mirror adjusters, door locks, window motors, mechanical switches, etc. would be any less in need of maintenance and repair than on any other car. Although, because the ICE is so lightly used, there is probably much less degradation of exhaust system components.

Other service intensive components are the many of sensors which can become damaged or knocked out of alignment.

Parts logistics is now simplified by over-night just-in-time FedEx, thus freeing dealership service departments from carrying large inventories of seldomly needed parts. The much bigger problem is training service techs to diagnose and repair novel systems and components.

Above and beyond the usual work done by the body shops, minor collision damage may now require dealership recalibration of things like adaptive cruise control and lane departure alert.

And, Right-to-Repair laws aside, many of these tasks require specialized tools and service equipment beyond just having access to service manuals, diagnostics and the ability to purchase OEM parts.

Shade-Tree-Mechanics.jpg

Sadly, the day of the infallibly reliable vehicle has not yet arrived -- even though the day of the shade tree mechanic may have already passed.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Corporate provides the training, but much of the dealerships service department's work is basic, routine maintenance. There is simply isn't much of that for a BEV. The oil change cash cow is gone. So a dealership or distributor could start resisting the PHEVs before the BEVs arrive.

Even then, hybrids reduce the required maintenance. Toyota sticks the Prius and prime with the same oil change interval as their traditional cars, but the Volt could go two years between changes. Regenerative braking reduces brake wear, and even more so in a PHEV with its larger battery. So another common service job is rarer for the dealer.

Accident repair costs have gone up for any car with advanced safety systems because of the sensors, but many dealers aren't doing that work to begin with.

20. Werner Lohe

Werner Lohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    >... the mitigations:
    > Front Defrost - turns on ICE. Use heater with windshield direction which is fast enough.
    > I am an old man less tolerant of silly and arbitrary control laws.

Me, too. 95% of my trips are under 5 miles, and therefore in summer, I basically NEVER use the ICE. It's very frustrating if, here in New England, I have to drive around in hybrid mode from October through April. I bought a plug-in so I wouldn't have to do that. Aren't there any other work arounds or some kind of really comprehensive manual/description of how to deal with this problem?