1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why so much Prius v....LOVE?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by macmaster05, May 25, 2011.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, for example, someone driving a crew cab lifted pick up truck with a bed that has never even seen a bag of mulch is not somehow unnecessarily equipped as a commuter car? Or a gigantic SUV with one driver, no passengers, SUV after pick up after SUV commuting into Washington DC, and no hate for them? I won't even get in to all the luxury Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, etc. And no hate for them either? Point of fact, my car, which cost $30K, is on the low-median end for most of the cars I drive to work with. And they would hate me for what reason? :eek:

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They do get hate, plenty of it from the other side. But I think the answer to that is power. Sadly, most people measure a car's worth based on how many horses it can pull. All those cars you mentioned, including the SUV and truck, generally have more power than a Prius. So to the average uninformed individual, a Prius is a poor choice of a car. Sad I know, but that's what many car "enthusiasts" think.

Minivans and wagons are typically exempt from this label. Which I'm starting to think is why "enthusiasts" let the Prius v pass. I think this is lame. Why can't the Prius get just as much street cred as the v just because they're aimed at different consumers?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's because it doesn't look like a Prius and it has size and apparently size still matters in the US. Toyota knows that and building the v is a wise decision and can only lead to better things when the 2nd generation comes around. Can you imagine trying to market this thing if the Prius family was not given the green light? It probably would not get the glowing reviews it's getting. It's easier to say "you lose 8mpg but WOW look at the space you're getting compared to the Prius).

Also the longer wheelbase allows for better ride comfort if the suspension is setup right. I think the extra weight might've helped too with stability.

4. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're preaching to the choir. I won't rehash the tired talking points, because I'm sure that you've heard a lot of them. I think the hate is ultimately rooted in the assumed "smugness" of hybrid/Prius drivers and a completely different view when it comes to vehicles. IME, the fallacious reasoning and misinformation used to knock the cars is often spread by people who are the antithesis of the Prius driver stereotype.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we know attitudes about Prius are polarized. But Toyota has sold over a million of them. They are loved. The fact that what I think is a vocal minority are somehow "threatened" or intimidated by their existence doesn't take away from the fact that I think Prius is a success and well loved by those that support Prius...and this is a large number of people.

6. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I said on Fiesta Faction, bigger is always better until you see your proctologist's hands.

7. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And bringing this back to the v and the love... I think it's a good sign that there are current Prius owners and enthusiasts around here who do not care for it or do not "get" it. That means that the current Prius suits their needs well, and the v will suit someone else's needs. That's what Toyota's shooting for: getting new, different customers to buy this wagon. People who like the current Prius but see the v as a pointless, even detrimental, enlargement are unintentionally demonstrating how the v is going to appeal to different people and bring in new customers. If you're shedding a tear about going from 50 MPG to "only" 42 MPG :)rolleyes:), your priorities clearly do not point towards the v and probably are more aligned with the upcoming C. I'm not one of those naysayers because my family will always own at least two vehicles and can easily see how the v would be better at hauling us all around than the current Prius would.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    cmon it will get some hate, Toyota just hasn't sold any yet, so those that will spread the hate haven't seen enough to form a negative opinion. The prius wasn't hated until gen II, before that it just was a curiousity.

9. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I will be getting a v. I will test drive one and if the drive is quieter, I am trading my Gen III IV in. um, yeah. As I am sure you all know already. I was looking at the CT, but it is too small.