1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the BMW i3-REx

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 15, 2016.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure of the purpose. other than price, two completely different cars.

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The purpose is to compare what $50K can buy you and the philosophies of two car companies.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is easy, bought in May 2016:
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx, end of lease, $28k, 6k mi., now has 34k mi.
    • Tesla Model 3 was unavailable.
    Best of all, it can go from Colorado to Carlsbad and back without batting an eye. Broken charger, no problem. All occupied, no problem. Trip planning is trivial.

Bob Wilson

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, might as well compare all the 50k cars then. never seen it done.

i-3 was never a popular selling car, more of an experiment. idk if bmw even plans to make a popular bev. or any other car company besides tesla for that matter.

i guess bolt and leaf could be.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll add this one... My favourite BMW model, the Isetta 300.

This one is for sale for just under $50k, at $47,500 and is from 1957.

isetta.jpg
    It's not a hatchback because it's not 5-door... But it is also not a coupe because it is only 1-door. A uni-door hatchback?

Has a 236cc engine and gets about 58mpg. Like the i3, it has a tiny petrol tank, only just over 3 gallons. Top speed may be under 50mph on a good day on flat ground with a few minutes running start, so perfect for the hypermiller.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 gallons more than i-3.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    o_O
    The i3 tank is around 3 gallons, with a half gallon more with the CARB hobble hacked.

bisco likes this.
  9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard news about Isetta coming back with electric drivetrain, it's not made by BMW.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I owe you an apology for my snarky comment. Eventually I watched the video and he pretty well nailed the differences and similarities. The only thing he missed is the seat height which for my elderly wife is important. I call the BMW i3 a microVan or SUV-lite as it has the VW MicroBus spirit if not the internal volume.

We just passed 34k miles on the BMW and the Prime is approaching 13k miles. For efficiency, the Prime is great for utility and the BMW excels in weather extremes. Individually they each have features similar to the long range Model 3 ... and their short comings can be tolerated. Oh well, dogs to walk.

Later,
    Bob Wilson

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you, Bob, you are a gentleman.

Interesting comment about seat height. We are in the same "boat." The reason we don't have our model 3 yet is because I am waiting for the "Smart Air Suspension" option to be introduced for the model 3. This will allow height adjustment of the suspension from a Smartphone App. This feature plus current seat height "Easy Entry" profile for each driver from the App will make entry and exit a breeze for people that need that assistance.

The issue of global warming and climate change is now at the critical point as assessed by 95% of the qualified scientific community. Now governments are stepping in to force people to do the right thing for personal transportation (something I hate to see happen) - China, Norway, California, England, and soon India. Right now, the technology favors EVs but who knows what future technology holds promise and the next Elon Musk. ;)

I too have to walk and practice with my titled Havanese breed dog now. We walk about 3 miles a day to keep fit and practice 2 or 3 times a day in 10 minute spans. He is bilingual and responds to my commands in both English and Spanish plus he can do the Cuban Mambo on command for his trick competition!

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seems fair. The Mini isn't really Cooper anymore.

13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And the Smart for Two is now MBZ (compliance car?)

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They always were, I thought.

15. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    SWATCH (the watch company) initially proposed the concept and partnered with VW for potential production. VW eventually bailed and MBZ stepped in to pick up the pieces.

Trollbait likes this.
  16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Microlino EV | PriusChat

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    • $18.80 - EV cost
      • $4.40 - (est) Blink, 7.626 kWh, 1 h 25 min
      • $13.65 - EVgo, 16.35 kWh, 39 min
      • $0.75 - home, 7.487 kWh, 1h 37 min
    • $6.15 - Costco, 2.252 gal (premium) 5 min, 106 miles
      • ~6 mi EV, to visit Tesla Store, top off tank, late lunch
    • Shelbyville Blink charger broken and no maintenance contract. Continued to very nice Nissan dealer for a free charge. Estimated the cost, $4.40, for 1h 25m (85 min) at a working Blink charger.
    FACEBOOK POSTING

I repeated my EV drive to Nashville and return on gas to visit the Tesla Store in Brentwood a southern suburb. A shorter distance, the L2 (208-240 VAC) Blink charger in Shelbyville TN was down so my fallback was the Nissan dealer five miles down the road.

Open business hours, Nissan let me charge the car while in their customer lounge. In 85 minutes the 24A charger gave just enough, 7.626 kWh, to reach the fast DC charger at Brentwood WMCA with a 10 mile reserve. There it took 39 minutes, 16.35 kWh at a cost of $13.65 including pre-cooling the cabin. Enough to reach the Tesla Store.

The Tesla Store lot was full of Teslas with a small staff of 6-8 training new owners on their car. This attention to quality reduces future problems but means turnover, completing sales, takes longer. So I asked, 'If I wanted one, would I have to order it over the web?'

The Tesla rep said, 'We could get you one of our standard configurations in about four weeks." Those are committed cars in the lot, undelivered inventory. Tesla chose quality over quantity so they are slow to move out. Next door, the Lexus dealer had four salesmen sitting in lawn chairs waiting for customers.

The gas drive back burned $6.25, 2.252 gal of premium, with a 1 mile reserve. So $18.80 EV and ~5 hrs outbound versus $6.15 gas ~2 hrs to return.

Bob Wilson

#538 bwilson4web, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On your map your departure time and arrival time near Nashville are 12 hours off;).

Not a military time fan:whistle:?

Still time to edit(y).

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was a dark and rainy night when I got to the fast DC charger and plugged in. Leaving the car ON, I had heat and accessed the City WiFi network. Sad to say, there was a news SUV parked in the second parking place but I was warm and dry. With 12 minutes left at 81% SOC, a Leaf showed up.

He parked behind the SUV and came up to look at the BMW and I invited him to the passenger side. For the next 12 minutes we chatted about the BMW i3-REx and I gave him one of my 'handout' sheets. We also went over my driving experiments from Huntsville-to-Nashville on EV, L2 and CCS, and back using gas.

Sad to say, he was disappointed in his Leaf with just over 80 mile range and no support or sympathy from the dealer. His other CHAdeMO option is the Nissan dealer 35 miles away and now closed in Decatur. With my Rex, I could have left secure in the knowledge I would get home except I was in EV mode. If he'd offered $3 for a gallon of gas, I would have moved on BUT neither of us brought it up and I enjoyed talking about our BMW i3-REx.

Charging ended with 91.5% SOC and I drove to the L2 charger two miles away at Propst. I bought groceries and got my flu shot at StarMarket, part of the Propst business group. The rain intensified so I went to 1892 restaurant while the rain relented. Remotely, I turned on preconditioning to warm the cabin and left for home with 100% SOC.

Bob Wilson

markabele likes this.