1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the BMW i3-REx

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 15, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Started my day at 5:30AM:
    • 10 miles to work: -10% SOC
    • 10 miles to home (contractor on site, 8AM): -20% SOC
    • 10 miles to work: -30% SOC
    • 10 miles to home (final inspection, pay bill): -40% SOC
    • 10 miles to work: -50% SOC
    • 10 miles to home: -60% SOC (end of day)
    Thanks to 90F (32C), using AC a lot. No need to fire off REx that was critical to getting car from Charlotte NC to Huntsville, AL.

Bob Wilson

2. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To be fair, the packaging of the i3 REx would allow for a power split no problem, as I understand. (That isn't universal, though - other designs could have the ICE nowhere near the drive wheels.)

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually I'm in the 'reduce drag' camp. As I drive around town, there are a boat load of similar sized and shaped cars. By no means exhaustive:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    metric BMW i3-REx Chevy Spark
    1 Pass. ft{3} 84 86
    2 Lugg. ft{3} 15 11
    3 Hwy 40 MPG(*) 41 MPG

*-measured in two benchmarks and Argonne Labs between seconds 200-275:
    [​IMG]
    Source: 2014 BMW i3-REX | Argonne National Laboratory, embedded in downloadable data files.

It is not clear that adding a mechanical drive path would significantly improve highway performance. However, improving the aerodynamics pays big benefits.

Since highway trips are usually more planned, a removable after body that also serves as storage might be a more cost-effective solution. It might even hold a full-size spare, jack and spare gas container(s).

Bob Wilson

#123 bwilson4web, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    True, but other factors need to be considered. For efficiency, the ICE for a power split will be running at variable loads, and the series ICE can be running at a limited number of set speeds. This could mean a higher average thermal efficiency for the series ICE.

Then factor of cost can be the bigger one for a car design actually being offered for sale. In addition to the transaxle, the power split is going to require more complex software, and longer development time, in order to get operation acceptable to the consumer.

5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A power split running in those optimized points, though, would still be more efficient than a serial hybrid, I'd think...

But, yes, power splits need more development to work smoothly and have good power, especially when they're used in a PHEV, and that'll be why the Accord and Outlander PHEVs don't have them - quicker and cheaper to do serial plus clutch. (Which, serial plus clutch wouldn't work for the i3, given how it uses its engine.)

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I concur, but it will likely be running outside those points. A well designed hybrid system will minimize the time the engine spends at low efficiency operation, but it still might run at those points sometimes, and will at the mid efficiency points.

Meanwhile, a genset on a series hybrid could run at the peak thermal efficiency all the time. Multiple set engine speeds are a compromise to that efficiency for improved driver and passenger comfort.

Looking at Honda's two motor system, running the engine at a more efficient point could trump the inefficiencies of the electrical path. At least at the lower speeds. At highway ones, then the direct link between engine and wheels is good to have.

7. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pinto

drash and bisco like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They will be visible to following traffic on top of a box with large fireworks markings and next to another box labeled Diamond "Strick Everywhere" matches. Maybe that will get the tailgaters to back off.

Bob Wilson

Fred_H and bisco like this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You got a good supply of electrons, with gasoline for back up. A retractable, towed EMP dolly would be more satisfying.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Given recent events, it might attract too much police attention too.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    New data point for REx operation at a constant speed:
    speed MPG SOC
    1 75 32 loses 20% each cycle
    2 65 40 sustained
    3 55 44 sustained
    5 35 45 sustained

• REx runs all the time above 20-25 mph
    • REx rpm is constant 2400 rpm
    • fuel rate proportional to grade
    The REx is holding a constant rpm and varies the throttle proportional to the load. This is identical to a conventional car running on traditional cruise control. Small wonder the REx operating, 40-44 MPG is like an ordinary car.

In contrast, the Prius control laws keep the engine in the peak BSFC, operating line, which varies the rpm as needed. Furthermore, the Prius generates a minimum of ~10kW and banks the excess in the traction battery to be used when the engine is turned off. The REx essentially goes to idle a low power demands.

So let's compare and contrast a BMW i3-REx and Prius 250 mile trip at 65 mph with gas at $2.50/gal:
    metric BMW i3-REx Gen-3 Prius
    1 block-to-block mph 50 61
    2 15 minute fuel/bio breaks 3 1
    3 trip duration 5 hrs 4 hr 10 min
    5 MPG 40 52
    6 fuel gal 6.2 4.8
    7 fuel $ $15.50 $12.00

Bob Wilson

#131 bwilson4web, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Fred_H likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

It works but the instructions could be better.

Overview

To install the NEMA 14-50 (aka., RV park socket,) the 48 year old, utility service access service had to be replaced. At the same time, we installed a 16kW, natural gas fueled, automatic switch-over, generator. Then I could mount the JuiceBox wall holder:
    [​IMG]
    Before lacing the wires, I wanted to test it with the car.

The "Quickstart" instructions are pretty lame and important clues are left off like an architecture diagram:
    • JuiceBox connects to your WiFi service
    • It reaches into the EMotorWerks network to connect to their server
    • With your account and a browser, you can see the status the server holds
    I honestly thought my connection had failed until pursuing their support links, connected to the server.

The initial status shows the active current, power, temperature, and voltage:
    [​IMG]
    Our NEMA 14-50 has 50A wiring and circuit breakers, one for each hot leg.

The server also shows a graph of the charging:
    [​IMG]

Summary

The EMotorWerks, JuiceBox Pro (40) works but the instructions leave a lot to be desired. It was actually working when trying to debug the problem, I stumbled on the server and then discovered it was OK. I am not happy that all communications is via their server (one oops and I no longer have data.) But for now, good enough.

I appreciate the irony that in EV mode, my BMW i3-REx is ultimate flex-fuel: nuclear, hydro, coal, PVC, wind, natural gas, e.t.c.

Bob Wilson

drash likes this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice article that does not apply to my purchase of a used 2014 BMW i3-REx. Taking their outline, point-by-point:
    • "Option #1: It’s The Batteries, Stupid!" - has always been the bug-a-boo since the first Prius and Insights hit our shores. It was probably why someone killed the EV-1. The shenanigans and FUD associated with batteries, well we might as well sign-up for "Liars News." Regardless, the serious manufactures are making sure this mission critical part of their business plans are locally managed and controlled. You don't put your future in the hands of those who with a single whim could put you out of business.
    • "Option #2: Where Are The Gas Stations?" - absence of rapid, high-rate chargers by 3d parties is not the case in other countries that have to a greater or lessor extent build, non-Tesla, rapid chargers. But obviously Tesla has a business plan that requires such chargers. But the BMW i3-REx short circuits this limitation with a 2 gallon, gasoline tank and engine+generator that can sustain 65 mph (104 kph). Although some dismiss range extenders and the BMW version could be better, it is a 'good enough' solution for 'fly-over' states.
    • "Option #3: Dealers Will Be Dealers … Or Not" - or as the Huntsville Toyota dealer accomplished in May, they broke my 'price barrier' on used BMW i3-REx when they offered a Level 3+TSS-P. They insisted I had to test drive it which proved the Level 3 was no match for the Level 2 ECO. But they could not offer a Level 2 ECO+TSS-P, my hard requirement. The existing manufacturers have a 'dealer' problem but Ebay has made that moot.
    • "Option #4: BMW Doesn’t Want The Transition To Happen Fast" - Opps too late. I bought my BMW i3-REx May 27. I already have plans for self-maintenance and might have a clue or two about the technology.
    After buying my first Prius eleven years ago, there has been over a decade of 'experts' proving the Prius didn't work: it cost too much; it was a 'bad' car; it wouldn't last; it wasn't green. So I used their claims to mitigate how I maintained our 2003 Prius and never looked back. These Prius skeptics reminded me that journalism schools don't teach physical sciences and math.

The path to the future often has ripples and eddies. Sometimes folks have to take one step back needed to take two steps forward in a different direction.

Bob Wilson

#134 bwilson4web, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice read but most of the work BMW does is not exactly publicly known. At least they have a pure EV as well as an extended EV, and PHEVs. Both the pure EV, the extended EV and one of their PHEVs are built from the ground up according to their targeted platforms so they have invested in a lot of groundwork from which they can expand. Face it, most of the gear head publications nor their dealers are exactly looking forward to anymore "EV foolishness" from BMW. Their dealers are the ones who need to learn (pull their heads out of their a..) that maybe the public wants something other than $80,000 sports cars/SUVs that they've been pushing for the last 50 years. But I digress, let's count how many plug-ins Toyota has. Oh right, exactly 1, well not yet anyways. Both companies are extremely conservative so they are not going to shift their entire fleet over to any one technology from ICE overnight. If you expected that then you are more foolish than their dealers.

Unsupervised!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the journalism schools don't even teach journalism anymore.:cool:

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First day with a 7.3kW Level 2 EVSE over the 1.4kW, Level 1 EVSE and I noticed a new attitude. Ordinarily, I would plan on visiting a high-power, free charging station as part of my ordinary errands. But now, not so much. I can go home and know the car will be fully charged within 2-3 hours. In contrast, the Level 1 charger has been more of a 'sleep over'.

I'll put the Level 1 EVSE in the BMW i3-REx "frunk" with an outlet tester in a baggie (the frunk is not water tight.) The EVSE requires a properly grounded outlet and the tester is a lot easier to use.

Bob Wilson

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My interest is not just having a charge but the characteristics of BMW i3-REx charging. So the metrics are important:
    [​IMG]
    • first charge - starting around 9:30 AM, the car charged and we see the tapering off as the charge completes.
    • periodic wake-ups - very short, low power events, the car is tweaking, perhaps to make up for "OFF" state overhead.
    • preconditioning - I had an errand to run and in the +90F (+32C), started cooling off the cabin while getting ready.
    • hot day charging (after 18:00) - during the tapering down, we see two short spikes which were probably battery cooling cycles. Thermal management of the battery is critical for long life.
    • requested unplug-plug (about 20:00) - while looking at data, was requested to add a password and prompted to unplug-plugin the car.
    • period wake-ups - again short, low power events.
    • cooling event - about 3:00 AM, car appears to have initiated a battery cooling.
    • 5:00 AM preconditioning - came on as expected with the expected ramp down.
    • 5:45 AM manual preconditioning - slow getting into car, triggered it as putting shoes on.
    I knew there were more than just traction battery charging going on but had no metrics to understand how much and when. Now I can see the total picture.

EV folks are fond of bragging about how cheap it is to run our electric cars but can easily forget (or don't know) the battery maintenance and other vehicle overhead losses. Compared to driving, these are minor but when the utility bill comes in, the bill will come due.

Bob Wilson

19. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That actually really surprises me. I'm thinking that there would be significant city cycle efficiency gains, and even some highway cycle (due to the slower periods of that cycle) gains, if BMW varied RPM instead of throttle position to modulate ICE power, or alternately cycled the REx on and off (ala pulse and glide in a Prius).

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was surprised too. I'm trying to figure out how to make a 'shoe box studio' with a ScanGauge and iPhone to record what is going on. I hate trying to observe and drive at the same time ... too many opportunities to OPPS.

Bob Wilson