1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the Camry Hybrid in one picture

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by CamryDriver, Oct 13, 2019.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When I shop for a vehicle, I shop for different things that it must have when there are different drivers and thus different expectations.

Mine can have lots of "gotta learn" controls, for example. Hers none. One of them must carry cargo. Mine has bags and bags of trash waiting to go to the dump tomorrow. Mine should be higher off the ground, hers has to be capable of lower yourself into the seat entry. Mine could be an EV, hers not a chance. Etc.

There is a right tool for the job. And no one tool is right for everyone. And even my/our next choice may turn out to be wrong.

Trollbait likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my head hurts (n)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Having rented many Camrys, I’d always agree- that’s a much nicer car for many circumstances.

But regarding the Yaris you rented- was it a 2020? This new model is a heck of a lot nicer than the previous generation. It’s still no Camry, but it’s come up well...

4. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No it has been a few years.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those old ones weren't real nice - the absolute worst clutch I've ever used for a start.

The new one just announced should be good.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ll go check it out if it’s unlocked ;)

7. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect you are correct.

That said it is nice to have the power available. Last weekend I was doing Sunday errands puttering around town mostly using very few horsepower and getting 55 to 65 MPG. Once and only once a stoplight turned yellow and it was either slam on the brakes or gun it... In my 93 horsepower Civic I'd have needed to hit the brakes but with the Camry, woosh, down the road, nice.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? Was that yellow light too short?

I never gun a yellow light in any vehicle. The timings are supposed to allow for reasonable non-panic stops.

#48 fuzzy1, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pennsylvania's seem to be half the length of other states.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    around here its hit or miss. i hate slamming my brakes, almost as much as i hate getting slammed

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lights that are shorter than federal requirements or US-DOT guidelines should be challenged in court. Numerous cities have been forced to refund tickets from automated traffic light cameras after victims found the yellow light timing to be shortened for profit reasons, or shorter than nearby unmonitored lights, or even shorter than legal minimums.

Yellow light timing should allow at least 1 second of response time plus a braking rate of 10 ft/sec^2, or about one-third of a 'g'. This rate is certainly firm braking, but not the hard panic braking that can be (nearly) 1 'g' with good rubber on good dry pavement. Some guidelines suggest a bit more time than this.

And in 'restrictive yellow' states, where drivers must be out of the intersection before the light turns red, the timing should also include enough time to clear the intersection without 'gunning it'. This extra adder doesn't apply to 'permissive yellow' states, where drivers cannot enter on yellow but are not required to be clear of the intersection before the red.

Drivers should never be put in a 'dilemma zone' where they can neither safely and reasonably stop in time, nor legally go through without gunning it. When offending intersections are found, they should be challenged.

#51 fuzzy1, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019