1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the downhill fuel use in B-mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tanglefoot, Jul 10, 2015.

1. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've always been a little curious why the ICE receives fuel when going downhill in B-mode. I've noticed that at times (especially at lower speeds) going downhill in B-mode that the instantaneous consumption bar will be in the 30-50 mpg range at times that I don't think the engine would be receiving fuel if the system were in D-mode.

Just a curiousity/discussion topic.

Thanks!

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this happen in situations where the ICE could quit spinning in D mode, and where you either don't really need engine compression drag, or the D-mode synthetic drag from regeneration is sufficient?

If so, then B mode is preventing the ICE from shutting down, even if it needs to burn fuel to keep spinning. If D mode works, keeping speed down to the range you want, then don't use B mode.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...believe I have accidentally driven in B mode the engine is working...I consider it the equivalent of downshifting in a regular car

Okinawa likes this.
  4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    According to Prius guru Hobbit, who has made extensive technical studies of the functioning of the car, B mode uses fuel only below 17 MPH:

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html

"Fuel usage in "B" is somewhat mitigated by the fact that when decelerating above some nominal speed, somewhere around 17 mph, no fuel is sent to the engine and it just spins "dry". It's still wasting energy and slowing the car, but there's no reason to throw away gas along with that. This is sometimes called "fuel-starve" mode, and is also used in some conventional cars during high-speed coasting conditions."

He wrote this about the Gen I, but I believe it's the same in later models.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ahh--thanks for the resource. It does seem to burn fuel in B at times that the ICE would be stopped in D. I guess it makes sense to keep the engine turning when the car's at low speed, even though I suppose the MGs could take care of that without using fuel (MG1, are you busy?).

I'll have to try the 1-pedal EV driving in B-mode between 10 and 19 mph. Wow, there's so much to learn about these things, isn't there?

6. Melchior

Melchior Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you explain that please? What exactly do you mean and why would you use that method?

7. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In hobbit's document linked above, it indicates that (paraphrasing by memory here) B-mode does not spin the engine via electric motor to waste energy at speeds of approximately 10-19 mph, allowing efficient, electric driving in that range without using the brake pedal to slow down, for driving using only the accelerator pedal. For the most part, it sounds like more of an entertaining quirk than a practical application.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. I sometimes use it when driving at slow speed down my driveway. Because "B" doesn't spin the engine at those low speeds then you get the extra regenerative braking without the extra losses. TBH though, it's nothing that couldn't be achieved by just staying in "D" mode and using light application of the brake pedal. :)

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re the (sometimes) use of a small amount of fuel in "B" mode. I would assume it is the same reason that the engine often receives a small amount of fuel when regenerating downhill in "D" mode (with no accelerator input). When you cross that magic 42 MPH (67 km/h) threshold it forces the engine to spin up, and at that instant there is a small amount of fuel injection. I've always assumed that this is to make the process as smooth as possible, to try to prevent any noticeable "jolt".

My guess would be that the mysterious "B" mode fuel usage at certain lowish speeds would be a very similar phenomenon.

#9 uart, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    valde3 and Agent J like this.