1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why The Ford Escape Hybrid is Bullcrap

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 2, 2007.

1. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I own a SUV hybrid. And I find the MPG around 30+. Which is better then a 'traditional' SUV. My brother owns a Ford Escape Hybrid, and gets about the same mileage. However , when he stops at a light, his engine is still on, while mine is off. And that is what is important to me. The environmental concern.

And just yesterday, as TS Barry went through here, and I witnessed a Prius float off the road (which was sad in and of itself), my Hybrid Highlander went right through the high waters.

Glad I had mine. Glad my Prius was at home.

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 2 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]454127[/snapback]</div>
    In all actuality a Vegan would have to produce more, and a great deal of C02 is produced from a fertilization process. Soy is not hand picked it is harvested by machines. It is a known fact that vegetables make you gassier so the C02 output of the average human combined with the methane release that is broken down into more C02 once it hits the atmosphere is going to be much higher then a meat eater. There is more carbon in plant life then in animal life the breaking down of a plant produces more C02.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 5 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]455784[/snapback]</div>
    The point is that to produce meat you have to feed plant matter to animals, and the efficiency is very low. In fact, the feed lot system for raising animals for meat was invented precisely to eliminate surplus corn and keep the price high. So it takes ten times as much land and plant matter, and 100 times as much water, to feed one person on meat, as it takes to feed that same person on vegetables, and that's before you consider the additional transportation (transporting feed to the animal, and the animal to the slaughterhouse).

Raising the corn and soybeans fed to animals consumes vast amounts of petroleum and water. And if you want to make jokes about farting, cows fart vast amounts of methane, compared to humans.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 5 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]456097[/snapback]</div>
    Ok after thinking about it I agree, but only because I keep my meat refridgerated or frozen, then I zap it in the microwave to unthaw it before I throw it on the grill. I prefer charcoal briquettes too, but occasionally use my propane, but if its not very nice outside the george foreman works nicely especially for chicken and pork chops.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 2 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]453911[/snapback]</div>
    OMG; Kermit the Frog is the perfect presenter for the Hybrid Escape?!? Because --let me guess-- he's colored green...?

This is why I don't own a TV.

Next: a tap dancer for anti-lock brakes. [gulp]

I haven't seen the ad, but --come to think of it-- it's also recalling for me that cartoon character GM used to introduce the Cadillac Catera.

I'm sorry, coming across as a bit cyincal. I just feel like people will rise to the occasion, but only if you give them the chance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 5 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]455784[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's generally agreed that raising four legged animals for food is very inefficient, compared to planting for human consumption. I'd need to see some rather well-founded information to change my view on this.

And don't forget the medical costs of taking care of all the overfed, over-animal fatted, over proteined Americans whose lifespans are being reduced by the overconsumption of animal products.

Taken a look at heart disease rates in Japan and even China, as their diets become more and more like ours?

People get lots taller, but die sooner.