1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 31, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are effective and ineffective ways to post and this one could be better:
    A better approach is:

The free web site, http://www.plugshare.com, has a trip planning function. Use the charger selection option to choose the type of fast DC charger your vehicle can handle:
    • SuperCharger and CHAdeMO - Tesla
    • CHAdeMO - Nissan and some Asian plug-in vehicles
    • CCS - all others
    • do not use J1772 or other charging connectors as they are too slow except for local trips
    Expand the width to 1200 pixels so the trip planner will work. Then set the start and ending location. Adjust the EV range to match your car.

This will give a route and initial set of chargers. For the longest segments, use Google Map or Google Earth to get exact distances for the worst case.

The first charge can return the rated range but subsequent charges during the trip should use 80% of that value. Going from 80% to 100% will take as long as from 0% to 80%, double the charging time.

This answer gives practical information on how to plan a trip with plugshare. It also explains the reasons. Think 'education' than 'berating.'

Bob Wilson

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ..... others prefer beating others w/ a 2x4 with nails in it - & screaming slacker! slacker! slacker!
    Kind of similar to the hybrid / Bev / plugin / difference is it's all about personal choices

VFerdman likes this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Practice what you preach.

Yes, there are effective and ineffective ways to post and your's could have been better. Your information about charging structure was good and informative and you could have left well enough alone. But the rest of your post was snarky.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Put humbly - That would be an ideal example, placed in the dictionary next to definition of "deflection".

LasVegasaurusRex and VFerdman like this.
  5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's fine, just as long as someone's personal choices don't affect me personally, which they have.

Now, back on topic, do you have anything to add to the "Why the Model 3" discussion?

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Put humbly, this would be an ideal example, placed in the dictionary next to definition of "pejorative."

7. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Facepalm

tpenny67, Zythryn and bisco like this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummmmm, time to turn up the squelch a notch.

Bob Wilson

VFerdman, hill and bisco like this.
  9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Faceplant
    Time to get back on topic!

Why the model 3? For me, it is a compelling and innovative car. This car goes where no other car has gone before, even when compared to the Model S/X. Some like the performance. Some like the advanced technology. But for me. it is about personal transportation that makes less environmental impact to a new level. And that will only get better in the FUTURE as the performance and technology improves.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i might be interested in a cheap used one, but in lieu of that, i'd rather have a hatch. if the y isn't 35k, i'll see what else is out there.
    however, if the charging infrastructure is reasonable, a sedan to replace the hycam would be perfect.

11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my opinion, the model Y is going to start around $50K. In my opinion, it will have close to 400 mile range for that price. In my opinion, it will have the option for AWD at around $5K more.

I think you will begin to see quite a few model 3s for resale in the next 1 to 2 years as a result of trading up, change in life circumstances, or competition form other auto makers.

Both anecdotal and serious scientific research appears to indicate the using the Tesla Supercharger system exclusively will cost you about 75% less than the cost to refuel the typical ICE car. Results may vary (up or down) depending on local cost of electricity or amount and type of driving. The results are even better if you charge at home using night time rates or even using PV if possible.

It is recommended that on a long trip (>300 miles) a Tesla be charged more frequently without 'topping off.' This results in charging stops of 10 to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something like the niro bev might work for my local runabout, if hunday ever gets off the schneid. have to see how big the hatch is. manufacturers have to stop thinking tiny when it comes to ev's in north america.

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You are already seeing Model 3 cars being flipped. I see them for 2k less than cost minus federal tax credit or $53.5k on ebay with only delivery miles.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

3PriusMike and Zythryn like this.
  15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m waiting for a 2 seat 2 door 1800lb aero EV, fender skirts and all like my Insight, with a range extender that achieves the same 144wt/hr per mile efficiency as my small antique EV.

Unless I build it I might be waiting a while.

16. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here is an example of how Shell Oil is exploring a charger network at their gasoline station properties. From the report:
    "Oil companies have been increasingly interested in renewable energy and electric vehicle charging as they start to see electric vehicles slowly taking over the car industry.

Shell is arguably leading the charge through its involvement in the new Ionity charging network in Europe. The company is building its own chargers at its own gas stations, and recently acquired a charging network with over 30,000 chargers."

Oil giant Shell leads investment in startup with ‘Electric Cars for Everyone’ goal for charging tech | Electrek

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd like to see companies like speedway and others that have decent places to stop for awhile install charging stations.
    all the state rest stops along major highways, all hotels and motels, shopping/dining areas and etc.

el Crucero likes this.
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Speedway? I'll have to Google that.
    EDIT
    Ha! vocabulary increased - i did not know .....
    [​IMG]

#38 hill, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  19. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where we live and do most of my driving (which is the Northern section of Virginia), there are 2 or 3 "superchargers" vs. 6-7 regular DCFC that I know of, excl. those that may be at dealerships - I know that our local Chevy and Nissan dealerships have DCFC's that aren't showing on Plugshare.

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They took over all the Hess stations around here.