1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why the Prime and not the regular Prius?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Turquo, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Turquo

Turquo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's another question for you all then: Assuming the highest trim level you can get, why chose the Prime over the regular Prius?

I'm looking at used and CPOs, was originally thinking about the Four Touring until I drove the Prime Advanced (trim level names are VERY confusing and flexible). It seems like they're mostly the same vehicle except of course the Prime has plug in and EV capability but the regular has consequently more cargo space

Am I missing something? Are they that similar, or are there significant differences that I should be considering?

Oh and the windshield wiper at the back

I'll go and look at the archive as I can see a couple of similar threads

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got mine because I wanted the electric experience but range anxiety turned me off to full time electrics. My typical usage per day let’s me drive on electric 100% of the time and I have the gas engine for trips. I purchased new so there was the $4k tax incentive. Haven’t missed the lower trunk space or lack of rear wiper. Yet.

Northerner and Tips like this.
  3. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my case, I was interested in EV technology. But either I wasn't ready for a full EV, or the EVs on the market were not ready for me. The Prime allowed me to do 90% of my driving as an EV, and I found that I really liked it, particularly the quiet ride and the fact that every time I go down a hill or step on the brake, I am adding free mileage to the car. I guess that last part also happens with a regular hybrid also, but it is my first experience with it.

Tips likes this.
  4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am happy with my '16 Three Touring and wouldn't get a Prime because the EV range is not that useful to me. Plus all the modes just seems to confuse a lot of folks. But, I do like the Prime's exterior stying better (front end, rear end and lights) over the Gen 4 Hatchback. I also like the individual rear seat configuration in the early Primes over the rear bench. So to answer your question, I would choose a Prime over the Hatchback for the exterior styling and rear seating.

5. AldoON

AldoON Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Another thing to consider is the driving experience. I have a Prime and the car drives way nicer en EV mode than it does in HV mode.

In the city HV mode feels sluggish and underpowered. EV mode accelerates quickly and feels way more responsive.

If the regular Prius drives the same as the Prime in HV mode then by far I would go for the Prime.

Loriann likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They really are that similar.

Still, I test drove a 2016 3 Touring and liked it a lot. I got out of that immediately and took this '17 Prime on the same route. Didn't even have to think about it! I loved the EV driving. It also rode better. Not sure how much better it is than the non-Touring. Now that I've had it almost a year and a half, I have no regrets at all. I'm driving 90-95% EV and it's costing me about two cents a mile for gas and electricity. So far, I have 2,600 miles on this tank thinking I might make it to 3,000.

And, on those rare times I get to drive in the mountains, that big battery is just amazing.

I do wish there was was room for a spare tire. Mine is strapped to the floor of the cargo area. So far, I have not missed the loss of cargo space. Earlier this week, I loaded my rowing machine into the car without needing to take it apart.

But you won't go wrong with a regular Prius either. I just feel like the Prime is the ultimate Prius for now.

heiwa, Tideland Prius and Tips like this.
  7. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I agree about the EV driving experience being so much better than the normal hybrid mode. This is my first Prius but I test drove both and the Prime felt better driving in hybrid mode versus a Prius with AWD. I live close to my work so I can drive on 100% EV for the whole work week and only use gas for weekend trips out of town. When Toyota offers a pure EV choice with 500+ range then I will gladly switch. The looks are subjective of course, but I like the Prime better as well.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Marketing aside, a Prime is just another 'engine' option to the regular model. There maybe minor differences in features, because car makers never make it easy for direct comparisons, but the core of the car is the same.

The extra weight of the battery can change how the car handles. That can be better or worse, but reviews has it sound like Toyota got the Prime doing better than the Prius.

9. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Granted this does not affect buying decisions for those looking for other than new purchases, but in our case (given dealer and tax incentives) new Primes came in substantially less expensive than comparably equipped regular Prius models... I'm talking many $$$ difference!

In the end, a new Prime may not be much more expensive than a used Prius, regular OR Prime flavor, given these incentives (and you've got all the benefits a new car brings to the mix).

Just sayin'.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you are looking at used PRIME vs used regular Prius, if the price are the same or similar, it all boils down to your want for driving on EV vs your needs for the fifth seat and larger cargo. I don't think there are much difference if the regular Prius you are comparing also has the 11.6" screen with all the bells whistles of Prime Advanced trim. Of course starting 2020, the fifth seat is not the issue anymore. For new car purchase, with incentives and discounts, I just can not see why would anyone buy regular Prius over PRIME unless he/she absolutely needs 3" more of cargo space. Maybe because he/she wants to mod and add-in the real spare under the deck which is not the option for PRIME. I think the lowest trim is the only Prius that comes with the spare.

#10 Salamander_King, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The only folks I know that have bought a “normal “ Prius lately have AWD

My guess is that is the only reason folks go to a standard Prii at this point, unless there is a large price differential which doesn’t appear to be the case.

12. Turquo

Turquo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Great responses - thanks everyone

...and keep them coming

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime:

• EV driving is definitely number 1. 20-30 miles depending on season is great
    • Quad LED headlights (vs. Bi-LED on the regular Prius. I prefer the look of the quad LED)
    • Larger battery means greater hybrid mpg and moreso if you drive in hilly or mountainous terrain (you can regen more and get back some EV range on the long or steep downhills).
    • Cool carbon fibre rear hatch with dual wave rear window
    • 11.6” MFD (though some might say it’s a con)

Prius Touring
    • Stiffer suspension than regular Prius or even the Prime
    • Larger/taller cargo area
    • Smaller/cheaper battery to replace in the long run (10+ years old)
    I like the way the Prime drives. The heavier battery gives it some heft. The Touring we have has a noticeably stiffer suspension and heavier steering feel.

14. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I really wanted the EV, and almost equally important, I much, much prefer the look of the Prime. I think it's one of the better looking cars available, and certainly much better looking than the Prius.

Tips likes this.
  15. plug-one-in

plug-one-in Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1) I didn't need the cargo space. This can be seen as a downside of Prius Prime.
    2) EV mode: driving experience is better; feels smoother and more "torquey."
    3) Price: with Fed and State rebate + dealer incentive: price might've been cheaper than regular Prius.
    4) Personally, I do think the Prius Prime looks better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    5) Most of my driving is EV: about 70% of my mileage is EV. So less wear and tear on the engine and everything associated with it. So far I have 30K miles: so 30% are "engine" miles: that's 9K miles of engine use. Just my theory: but I think the vehicle will last longer b/c of the decreased wear and tear. So probably less time spent at mechanic shop in the future.
    6) Less time spent at gas station. ...although to be fair: plugging and unplugging do takes small amount of time. so you do have to account for those time. However, even if I had to spend MORE time plugging/unplugging at home, I would rather do that than going to gas station.

16. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For some reason my wife enjoys plugging in the car for charging. Therefore I spend very little time doing it.

TGrracie likes this.
  17. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I hadn't thought of this, but it would be great if you could have some sort of gently used Prius after the Prime EV part potentially bites the dust after so many years. (Assuming you keep the Prime for that long.)

18. Hayman66

Hayman66 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is exactly why I chose the Prime as well. I drive all week on electric only and use gas on the weekends when I make a 2 hour trip.

pghyndman and Tips like this.
  19. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was initially hesitant to buy Prime due to the lack of trunk space and the uneven space between the trunk and the back seat (when lowered), but over the past 2 years I rarely missed the trunk space. Almost for the past 4 months the driving is limited, so it is entirely EV and I rarely used gas. I though a bit worried of stale gas and is forcing to turn on the gas engine every now and then.

Now that Toyota RAV4 is coming in Prime, why would anyone buy a Prius Prime. It has 40 miles of charge, which is pretty good distance for local chores.

20. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The RAV looks utilitarian. The prime looks fantastic.