1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why there is default re-gen while coasting in "D" pure EV mode

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Krzysiek_KTA, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Camry Hybrid has "Auto Glide Control" when you select ECO mode. It basically glides instead of regen like we've learned/discovered with the Gen 2 Prius. Maybe it'll make its way here (although it'll be interesting to see AGC vs. PED compete for control of the car lol).

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just thought I'd mention this for the new owner. Shifting to "N" is just flipping an electrical switch off.
    About the battery warning, probably best not to play with "N" after you have depleted your EV range and are in default HV operation.
    PnG went away for me with the 09 Lexus RX450h, just relax and enjoy the drive.

Hybrid Synergy Drive - Wikipedia
    The HSD "neutral gear" is achieved by turning the electric motors off. Under this condition, the planetary gear is stationary (if the vehicle wheels are not turning); if the vehicle wheels are turning, the ring gear will rotate, causing the sun gear to rotate as well (the engine inertia will keep the carrier gear stationary unless the speed is high), while MG1 is free to rotate while the batteries do not charge. The owners manual[22] warns that Neutral gear will eventually drain the battery, resulting in "unnecessary" engine power to recharge batteries; a discharged battery will render the vehicle inoperable.

3. Krzysiek_KTA

Krzysiek_KTA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thx for some info. To be accurate I was referring to switching to "N" while in EV mode only.
    I am playing with the car to find out how to stretch out E/V range when needed, otherwise I guess at the end of the day "just relax and enjoy the ride" is the best driving technique for Prime.

#23 Krzysiek_KTA, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    bwilson4web likes this.