1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why use a K&N air filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Another, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I mean his grandpa mighta told him stories about the Civil War.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You mean the first one? Or the current one?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your stats say you’re 121 years old.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always thought that "Civil War" was a very curious title.....

@ K$N filter....
    There are some devoutly 'green' Prius drivers who have heartfelt beliefs that using a non-replaceable air filter will result in fewer used air filters, and some others claim that they can save money with these filters .

Given the fact that the K$N filter is basically an oily, cotton gauze pad that is supposed to be cleaned and re-oiled every 30,000-50,000 miles, I'm a hard-sell on just how "green" this product really is.
    Many of the people that clean these things feel that they have to wear nitrile gloves, and they wash the cleaning agent and the old oil onto the soil or into the water table, so MY thoughts are sorta leaning towards using dry paper filters and disposing using conventional methods.
    Since privately owned CARS are about as "green" as politicians are "honest" many of their owners struggle furiously to just "suck less."
    Some efforts pay dividends.
    Some don't.
    ACTUAL mileage WILL vary.

Theoretically?
    You "can" save money with these products IF the additional dirt and oil doesn't damage your intake, MAFS, bores, bearings or plugs, and IF you use non-K$N filter cleaning agents, and IF you keep your car long enough to leg out the initial investment in $$ and IF your time isn't worth much.

Again.
    This is a "statistical" thing.
    Sometimes the numbers look OK.
    Sometimes?
    Not so much.

The performance gains are well documented, and you DO get some K$N stickers that you can put on your Prius.
    Since putting these stickers are about as appropriate as a pair of Truck-Nuts, you might at least have the advantage of seeing some of your fellow commuters spit their morning coffee out onto their dash while trying to stifle laughter.

Entertainment is where you find it......