1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why USPS Loses $$??

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I posted in Gen II Forums how I ordered a new cabin filter on Friday. Set to be at my home in the Seattle, WA area on Monday -- three days -- via USPS.

Just looked at the tracking....Mind you this is from Southern California to Seattle.....But, it will be here quickly....or so they claim by 8 p.m., Monday. Start at the BOTTOM

September 23, 2018, 3:35 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER on September 23, 2018 at 3:35 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    September 22, 2018
    In Transit to Next Facility
    September 21, 2018, 9:02 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
    ANAHEIM CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 21, 2018, 8:53 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    ANAHEIM CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 21, 2018, 6:45 pm
    Departed Post Office
    CORONA, CA 92879
    September 21, 2018, 5:14 pm
    USPS picked up item
    CORONA, CA 92879
    September 21, 2018, 10:52 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    CORONA, CA 92879

jerrymildred and Starship16 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you should remove the question marks from the title

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I worked for the USPS, but that was way back in the mid 1970s. Only lasted 2 years. That place drove me nuts.

But regarding saving money, why are they delivering packages on Sundays? I don't think they are so overwhelmed that they need to be out there on Sundays. And I believe they could cut down home mail delivery days, to 4 times per week? Hardly anything comes... just a few junk pieces.

Who did you order your filter from? How much?

It's all the sky-high health care bennies that is causing them to lose money, or so they claim. That, and so many people don't use mail anymore, obviously.

#3 Starship16, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably because they and their business partners (FedEx, UPS, Amazon, ...) can charge higher delivery rates when including Sunday deliveries? And most of the actual Sunday deliveries are consolidated to a single partner?
    The downturn in business doesn't come with a downturn in their pension obligations. When they didn't prepay enough into the pension funds during their boom days, they financially suffer from the load of retirees when the active employment base begins shrinking. Sears-KMart is suffering the same problem.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....along with several US states that I can think of......

6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh yeah, here in California I am very familiar with the unfunded pensions mess! We have the two largest pension systems in the country. Public employees, and the Teachers.

The latest report I read, is that the unfunded CA pension obligation is somewhere between $333 Billion... and one Trillion! And my humble paltry pension is right in there. :ROFLMAO: The politicians just keep kicking it down the road.... but the Governor did say that the time may come when he has no choice but to cut pensions. But he's leaving office in a couple months.

#6 Starship16, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Last month, I had a USPS package make it all the way to my local PO. From there, it was shipped to another PO 70 miles away, then back to my local PO, then it got delivered.

8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Efficiency at its best!

In my area, and surrounding cities, they removed all the mailboxes several years ago. They even welded shut or removed the mailboxes in front of the post office! I guess they don't want us to mail any letters.

Well, the heck with them! So I just pay my utility bills and my credit card bill using my iPad. Or my cell phone. (I am actually probably 15 years behind the times when it comes to that.)

#8 Starship16, Sep 24, 2018
  9. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    USPS is run by Congress. That is why it's so mess up.

Their fees should be 10-20% higher than they are now, but no, Congress needs their free mail service.

#9 bat4255, Sep 24, 2018
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I stock up on FOREVER stamps now??? lol:ROFLMAO:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to go with the idea that an algorithm was used to route this package based on cost rather than least miles traveled. If they were already on the hook to pay for a container (or a whole plane) to fly from California to North Carolina and another to fly from NC to Washington, then they would have been stupid to waste those resources.

Trollbait likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then something like a cabin air filter is more size than weight. So little impact to fuel use when used to fill space on a container.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't think of any states whose gum'mit 'business volume' and employment base have turned down in the way that USPS and Sears-KMart have experienced. So far, as long as both keep increasing, they have been able to keep kicking this pension can down the road.
    Even when I was young, local letters mailed Friday or Saturday were likely to be postmarked a hundred miles away, in a neighboring state. That is where the only processing center was operating on weekends. Local processing would have required either more local staff to work weekends, or longer delivery time because it couldn't be processed until after the weekend.

First Class mail volume has dropped by more than half in the past decade, and a lot of processing centers have been closed entirely. So much more mail is traveling farther before it gets processed and sorted from the Incoming-Collection bins to the Outgoing-Delivery bins.

#13 fuzzy1, Sep 24, 2018
    Trollbait likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lately when I've been buying odds-and-ends on Amazon, the seller's in China. The items are dirt-cheap, there's no tracking, there's no delivery charge, no import duty or sales tax. The predicted delivery time is invariably terrible, maybe a month, but they often arrive a bit sooner. Usually in minimal packaging, a plexible shipping pouch. Never had an unfixable problem with them.

From far away:

image.jpg

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can sure identify with ya, @Stevewoods! I sent an out-of-production computer component to California for repair. After a week, they hadn't gotten it, so I started hounding the USP"S". ("Service" is really a misnomer.) They eventually found the package in Utah where it had been sitting for several days. It took another week to get it to CA. From Utah!!!!

Another time, I ordered a backpack that got sent USPS from Montana. It took 10 days to arrive rather than the promised four days. That's how long it took the Pony Express to get a letter from coast to coast 160 years ago.

Stevewoods likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    USPS could be giving priority to FedEx, UPS, etc. packages.

17. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not to get too political, but try sending that exact package back to China. I guarantee the USPS will charge you at least $12. The Chinese government subsidizes shipping to the US. Any guesses as to why?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [
    Cabin air filter -- decent price | PriusChat

Filter arrived as promised, today. Shipping was like $2.98. Wish I could travel coast to coast roundtrip for $2.98. Rock Auto almost always has a 5 percent discount code floating around. Of course, on the cabin filter, I think it saved me 20 cents.

Regarding Mendel and China, interesting show on NPR about how China can make a knock-off and then ship it directly to a consumer in the USA for less than the price it costs the USA maker to ship it across the street in the USA (nevermind the actual cost of the product).

Seems like the reporters at NPR had a tough time getting an answer. The link below leads to a transcript, a bit boring compared to the actual broadcast. The "source" was a real character...

#857: The Postal Illuminati : NPR

Is there a secretive postal organization fixing international shipping rates, and giving American businesses a bad deal?

#18 Stevewoods, Sep 24, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An interesting read. I did skim a bit.

Stevewoods likes this.
  20. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The newscast was interesting and entertaining to an extent, but reading through the transcript was ponderous. For those who understand such things, the episode is available as a podcast.....