1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would anyone Own a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gwest, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you could have one of these for almost the same price.
    Now that I got your attention here is the details.
    I have a Prius V.I loved it untill I saw the new CT last night.
    Just called Toyota 101 Redwoodcity. For a Prius V I was quoted 31k over the phone. Lexus Rep's say a Non Nav version of the CT is $29 and a fully loaded one is $34. On the way home last night I saw they had 2 CT's @ Redwoocity Lexus. I looped around on 101 and came back to take a look. These were making the rounds at the local dealers. I got to take some pics and poke around in these CT's. One of the rep's that was driving the Yellow Mica one said he is getting 44 mpg with it. After sitting in the CT I can tell you it made my Prius feel VERY cheep and Lack luster. It's not as roomy feeling as the Prius but IMO that's fine. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, But I can tell you I loved it. I bet you see alot of people jumping ship's

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah its not bad looking. my prius was 23k though... so 10k is a pretty big difference which is made up in the ride quality and interior quality.

4. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very nice! Now someone with a GenIII needs to road test the CT and compare (if possible) the ride difference. Beautiful car and thanks for the pics!

5. basicallyevolve

basicallyevolve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was planning on buying a V myself but after seeing the CT200 interior i might have to change my mind =(.

I feel like paying 30 grand for a prius for the LED headlights and rims which will get less mpg than the standard rims due to the rims is kind of hard to swallow when for a few thousand more i can get that Lexus. I honestly think the Prius looks better from the outside as i think the lexus looks like a Mazda 3 hatch. OH well... If i have to drive my next car for the next 6-8 years while i get done with my university i might as well enjoy the interior and the ride right?

I cant wait for reviews to come out to also compare the ride quality/ interior quality/ road noise and rattling issues. I really want the prius for the MPG an the Gen III looks but cant decide just yet!

Why cant people give some reviews !!!! i know reps have driven them.. Why not companies that can give us some real input on the car and do comparisons? =(. Guess we have to wait another month to find out

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wel il ike the prius better this car is one of a million the pruis is different

7. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This car wasn't available when I bought the 2010 in May 2010. Also, the dealer gave me a 52% buy-back on my 4 yr old 2006 with 80,000km on it.
    If I got the 2010 Prius of course.

However, I'd ditch the Prius and pay the extra 5k$ for a full equip Lexus - which I would NOT do for the Prius.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. It looks no different from Toyota Matrix, just like the Lexus HS250h looks like a Toyota Corolla. What's the point of getting a Lexus if it looks like a Toyota (or any other cars for that matter)? I'd rather get the Prius v over this.

1 person likes this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Might be a nice used car in 5 years.

10. GoMetricToday

GoMetricToday 42 is the answer to the ultimate question.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a nice looking car. I just don't think I could justify the price difference for what is essentially a V with a Lexus badge and a few extra bells and whistles.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Poorer mileage, much more money in Canada. Less storage room. etc. etc.

If you really want a Lexus go ahead. They are nice cars.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tink

Tink New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The one shot of interior looked nice, but the outside is juvenile looking. Also, when I see a low end high end nameplate, I typically think of wannabes.

13. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it looks cool. is it smaller than a prius? I'm confused.

But I payed less than 23k for my car so thats almost 7k more
    their website says 42 mpg my car is 50mpg
    They say 0-60 in 9.8 isn't any faster than a prius.

14. Priusrage

Priusrage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks really close to a Mazda 3 hatch which has been out for the
    last decade just about. Not completely Identical. But I like the Mazda Better.
    I like the interior of the 200h. Has what looks like a built in mouse.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fixed that for you :) If I wanted a Lexus hybrid, I'd get one that actually looks like a Lexus, namely the RX450h.

16. basicallyevolve

basicallyevolve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

its not really a few bells and whistles. If the interior and build quality is better then it pretty much justifies itself. It is the same company so sure the car comes from the same backbone but the overall experience could be different. Less road noise, better leather inside, Better seats, Crispy interior, More Tech on the inside, No rattling issues, The car itself could be put together better like a lexus is.

What you basically said is there is no point to buy a Bmw or any german vehicle because they are all pretty much a few extra bells and whistles. It is a car for a different crowd with a more luxuries interior. Sure it looks similar to the prius interior but it is the quality that counts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Gwest

Gwest Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The way a Lexus is built is a bit diffrent than the way a Toyota is built. IMO Lexus put's a bit more time into noise control and damping vibration ect. As a person that took my whole car apart and installed dynamatt style material all over the interior so it wouldn't be as loud IMO its worth the extra $$$ Here is the thread where I did the sound dampning http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...90-noise-control-sound-vibration-damping.html

The interior of the car looked and felt much more custom and high end than any prius ever could. Leather was everywhere and the seats were "SO Comfy" Like I said it made the interior of the Prius feel like I was sitting in a seat at Mc Donnalds.
    I don't mean to be putting down the Prius but it is what it is. Weather your have a 3,4 or 5 the interior is pretty much all the same. Ill call it "Industrial" because its all hard surfaces fake leather/vinyl. Its great cause its easy to clean and it takes a beating. Kind of like a Subway elevator cab. The interior of the Lexus is on another level. For some I understand it might seem cramped. If I had a famly of 4 the Prius hand's down NO QUESTION. But for a Single person or a Young coupple with out kid's I can see how this would be a great entry level Hybrid. The MPG's and Eco footprint of a Prius and the looks of a sports car with the luxury of a Lexus. I hope the car rides as nice as it looks inside.

18. trueaspects

trueaspects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    hmm this definitely competes with the Prius 5 imo... although the Prius 5 will still be slightly cheaper and better MPG.

interior looks really nice...

19. cbcdesign

cbcdesign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it does. I prefer the Prius and the way the dashboard blends nicely into the centre console. The lexus looks like a standard run of the mill vehicle interior to me. The Sat nav looks like an after thought too. Not nice.

Each to their own I guess.

20. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the front end of the CT better than the Prius. But the Prius's side and quarter views look nicer. The Prius V 17" rims are better (I'm biased of course).

CT starts at $31000 in Canada and the Prius V (Touring) is $31500. The LEDs on the CT are part of a tech pkg which builds on top of the premium pkg. I'm gonna guess that tops out at $38k.

I'll definitely check it out when in arrives in the dealership, just because I'm curious. But the overall pkg screams "young professional" to me. Lexus wants young affluence in the door and graduate them their other offerings. Ironically, I'm in sitting in the bull-eye of their target demographic but I'd take the ho-hum taxi cab any day.