1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would anyone Own a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gwest, Feb 8, 2011.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe you misunderstood. I was asking for the source that said people like me (young professions looking for sporty ride) will not be enough to support the sales of the CT200h.

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Isn't Vinyl plastic that is made to look like leather??

Found this:

"Vinyl is not a natural substance but is a synthetic man-made material. It is a type of plastic that is made from ethylene (found in crude oil) and chlorine (found in regular salt). When processed, both the substances are combined to form Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) resin, or as is commonly referred to - Vinyl."

Source: What Is Vinyl?

So, by definition, it is pleather. It may be of higher quality, but it is still pleather or vinyl or whatever it is called.

I actually don't mind it because vinyl lasts forever and does not crease like leather do. But it is not as soft as leather and promotes "sweaty butt" syndrome. :D

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ahh...yeah, there is a study out already on something that hasn't come out yet...ok, i did say that it is my opinion in many places in this thread. Now, if you want to call me out on every little thing, then be my guess. But if you think that more people are like you and enough to support the sales of the CT, then more power to you. But, as Lexus stated, YOU are NOT what they are after. Prius is NOT CT200h's competition.

And, by a thing called logic, if the Prius is NOT CT's competition, then Prius owners are NOT what Lexus is after.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My fully loaded '04 was basically $30,000 before taxes... It's TOTALLY worth it!...

i don't have tire pressure monitors ore a back up camera either... for that matter, i don't have a 3.5mm plug in... i have a tape deck... leather was an option... etc.. etc..

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought.....
    The "Farfromanewone" people do this with their TDIs, only I think they call it "leatherette"...
    I test drove a TDI a few weeks back, and actually had a salesperson red-faced and stammering when I pointed out that their "leather" seats---weren't.
    I expect things like this from GM and other middle and bottom shelf car makers.....but Lexus????
    Gimme a break! :rolleyes:

6. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, to be fair, Mercedes, BMW, etc. all use vinyl seating on their entry luxury cars. You will be surprised at how many $45k Mercedes C350 or BMW 335i come with just vinyl seats. They are not bad...they always look new, even after 300k miles. My ONLY concern is the syndrome i mentioned above...otherwise, i don't mind them at all.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed...
    And at least Lexus had the stones to call it "NuLuxe" instead of some leather sound-alike. :D

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. CT200h is for those wanting more than what Prius can offer in terms of ride comfort, luxury and prestige at the same time not willing to put up with German maintenance.

CT200h could be an easy DIY maintenance car with great handling and many driving personalities. That surely spells a hit. :rockon:

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can get a real leather by the way. NuLuxe is better than the fabric in my opinion.

10. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! Side by side the CT interior does not look as good as the Prius. My opinion.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h interior looks to be made with more expensive material. Leather seats have high density perforation. The screen is also bigger 8" or 9". I believe Prius has 7" screen.

I think the bamboo dash is a nice touch.

[​IMG]

12. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As best as I can tell you will have three seat covering choices for the CT. 1. Cloth on the base model very unLexus $29,120. 2. Nuluxe requiring you to get the Moonroof and Heated seats Package ($1,780) total $31,775. 3. Leather which I would speculate would only be the seating surfaces the sides and backs more than likely Nuluxe. Leather Package (1,330), but before you can get the Leather Package you have to get the Premium Audio Package first (1,125) total 34,230.

Showroom | Lexus: Darker Side of Green

Nuluxe is nothing new. Most luxury vehicle manufactures use a synthetic leather as there base seating surface.

13. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Premium audio...is that Mark Levinson?? I hope that it is because the base stereo has only 6 speakers.

14. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  15. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    do not know? I don't think it said. On another note I think the base wheels would both fit and look good on a Prius. The upgrade FSport wheels are ugly IMO. Australia has a full on FSport CT200h for sale there it looks tight.

16. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to Edmunds, the price of the tested vehicle has NAVI, maybe a premium audio (non-Mark Levinson), and Nulux?? Anyway, MSRP is $33.5k. Basically, for this price, you can get Prius V with same tire size and advance tech package. Prius V also comes with LED headlights, which is not avail on this tested CT200h, along with LKA, PCS, and Radar cruise. Oh yeah, at least, we can say that we have leather in our Prius and not vinyl. Which would you pick for $33.5k? I would gladly take the Prius...LEDs are amazing at night along with all the ATP stuff!!

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No cloth seating in the CT. It starts at Nuluxe (listed as standard seating feature).

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that's fresh, 2/15 publish date!

Yeah, dude had to throw in the jabs at the Prius and hybrids in general.

Thing is - hybrids reward 'you' in the city. Engine off at lights, gliding, regen braking.

In a sporty car, the place to enjoy it is on road trips. But, what's to enjoy about a sporty handling car sitting in urban traffic? Then it seems like a waste.

So, there are tradeoffs. And hybrids have their place.

19. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's a completely different argument. We were talking about FWD handling, now you're talking about performance vs. cost.

But it's a moot point because the SR4T was long ago discontinued, and the CT200h will have nowhere near the performance of the SR4T... at nearly twice the price.

20. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You are correct sir. They (Lexus) must have made a change when I first looked the base model had cloth seats and the premium model had NuLuxe upgradable to leather and the base price was 28 something thousand. Guess they decided that cloth was not a good idea. I think they may have dropped the base model and only have one trim now?