1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would anyone Own a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gwest, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Sheon

Sheon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    lexus looks great and is same as the prius but what about maintence costs lexus vs prius?

ill stick with my 21k prius and just add my own stuff to it

and whats with these dealers charging 3000$ for so damn stock navi u can get flagship aftermarket models for half that price -_-

2. 413X3

413X3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LED headlights are a fad and they aren't better than the regular halogens. better steering with heavier rims and lower profile tires? No, you aren't in a sports car. You get worse mpg too.

Those features are for people who CAN'T drive, you need help parking and driving in a straight line on the highway, it's sad

WHy on earth would you buy a Prius for a sporty feel? that's what my Tesla is for

3. 413X3

413X3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

What exactly are you doing on this site and in a Prius to begin with? Just to tell everyone you own a Prius and be seen in a popular car it seems

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3rd gen Prius -

fuel economy - outstanding, most efficient gas car available

interior room - About the best interior room for its footprint and body size

useability - 4 doors, seats 4 full size adults in comfort, decent space for 2 or 3 suitcases

features - smart key, push button start, many more

low cost to own /maintain - tires, brakes all low cost. Money saved on gas will afford a new hybrid battery several times over

resale value - fuel economy is ace in the hole. Pri's retain good resale value and are desirable by many people who have the means to buy it.

is it perfect? no. but it's only on 3rd gen. and keeps getting better.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $40k is not really the pricing point on the CT200h.

Most will be at $32k ('premium package', heated seats, no leather, no nav, but with upgraded audio)

$35k (premium with leather and nav, heated seat audio)

CT200h is a small car, no doubt. To some, it's a cute looking car and 'more conventional'. Prius is anything but conventional.

As for the Prius V, I'm telling ya folks, the 3rd gen Prius would looks it best with sharp 16" alloy rims and 205/55-16" tires. The 17's are a little 'out of place' on Prius.

CT is a decent market entry. For those who really want a smaller full hybrid, but just don't want the whole Prius thing for some reason.

Guarantee you there are a number of Prius owners who are eyeballing the CT right now. Some have already traded in.

One is not better than the other and they are not quite so comparable.

6. manku

manku Junior Member

I bought a Prius because the operating costs + relatively inexpensive lease saved me at least $2000/year over the other cars I was considering (VW GTI, Infiniti G25/37, Audi A4).

In addition, I need a car for my profession that projects a successful image...the Prius, despite it's inexpensive price tag, is a car ANYONE can drive without being judged economically (my poker buddies do give me grief :)). My guess as to why? - the Prius has the BEST mileage of any car out there...it is #1. And wealthy people like owning the BEST. These other cars people mention may have good mileage, or be terrific cars for the price, but no one cares...they'll just see a cheap car driven by someone who can't afford a better car...sad, but true.

I pull up to a meeting in an A4 (my previous car), and people might wonder why I'm not driving an A6 or A8. Not an issue with the Prius.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe not. 42 MPG average not bad. That is only 0.4 gallons / 100 miles difference than Prius. Audi A3 gas will burn 2 gallons more / 100 miles on average.

I see gas at $4/gal here. People are looking for efficiency. Last weekend Lexus told me they are sold out. Supply is affected with earthquake though.

Pretty sure salesguy said they sold 14 in two days and are taking orders now.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius still suffers from a minor case of 'nerdiness' though. Takes a while to see it, but it's there. Examples -

bump on its nose with the Toyota badge. So not necessary. Front end could be made more agressive looking and stylish.

boomerang tailights - many comment they don't like them.

15" wheels replete (sp?) with cheesy plastic hubcaps? come on now. The bare 15's aren't exacty to die for either.

So, the Prius still needs to go to 'finishing school' IMO.

Oh, and probably lose the floating bridge console. All other cars have got by without that so far.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just drove past the gas staition. Regular UL $3.79 a gallon. ;)

10. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't doubt a bit they sold every ONE that they had !! :D

We shall see .... there's always a rush from the early adopters.

REV

11. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For a Tesla owner, you sure don't know how to do your research!

LED vs. halogen: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...66527-halogen-vs-led-headlights-pictures.html

Additional notes: LEDs last FOREVER, lights up to full intensity quicker than any other headlights, and uses less energy than anything else. Nowadays, only uber-expensive luxury cars have LED headlights...so, it is nice that my little Prius has them! :)

ATP (advance tech pkg)...why is it good? See links.

Fact: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...525-pcs-lka-e-vsc-these-techs-future-abs.html

Real life story: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ollision-system-activation-2.html#post1280578

So, ATP does more than just park and help drive straight...please read up before posting again! You're making a fool out of yourself! And in life, you will learn that things can happen while driving that is out of your control or that you can be distracted by the environment, which can lead to an accident. This is where ATP comes in handy.

Driving enjoyment? For me, this means enjoying my drive everyday because of the feel behind the wheel. And this is what a quicker steering mechanism and low-profile tires give. In addition, Prius Five also has unique set of shocks and springs. Penalty? 1-2 mpgs over a regular Prius (II). I still get what EPA rates...51/48/50, perfectly happy with that! I love the 17" rims! I don't like puny little rims with plastic covers! Sorry, just my opinion. It is just weird that 15" rims need plastic covers to get better fuel economy! :( After thought by Toyota?

I am not sure about YOUR Prius's fuel economy because those weak & fragile solar panels do weigh more than a steel roof...so, before calling out the Prius Five for bad fuel economy, you may want to look in the mirror! :rolleyes: You are not that much better, if at all! Oh yeah, good luck in a hail storm!!! :eek:

BTW, driving enjoyment is a benefit in any car, not just sports cars! I actually like to drive my Prius...not because it saves money on gas (which it does very well), but because it is rewarding to drive it. Do i need a sports car to enjoy driving? Nope...been there, done that...i am happy with my Prius Five. :rockon: I would expect a self-proclaimed Tesla owner would at least grasp that topic!

And here is my wonderful Prius...best car i have owned!

Attached Files:

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hahaha...quote of the day!!! Oh yeah, i bought the Prius to be the cool guy in my neighborhood!! :D Which rock did you crawl out from????? Oh, better yet, i want what you're drinking!!

If you really want to know, then I bought my Prius Five with ATP for daily commute to my work.

And if you bothered to read this thread, then you know why i brought up the Acura pic...but i guess that Tesla owners are too damn arrogant to actually read something before posting! :rolleyes:

But, yeah, thanks for the laugh this morning...hilarious!!

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since it's just a Prius with a diff body I bet the maintenance is basically the same. But, you'll pay more at a Lexus dealership because of the badge. I knew a guy with an Acura TL who used to buy Honda parts in some cases, like his oil filter. I believe the only difference was the brand on the exact same part, but the price was considerably lower because it wasn't stamped Acura :0
    I don't think so, they're in so many cars now I think they're here to stay. They should never need replacing and when you have a multi-LED based brake light, for instance, even if one does fail you don't lose much.
    People pay it! I sure don't, but others do!
    YES. There are few cars that hide your wealth but the Prius does it.

14. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Navi brings more than just navigation....

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yup. It's also an overpriced compass!

16. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Haha...nice! I use it everyday...not as a navigation though. I like it's other benefits.

17. youngster

youngster New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ahhh... the devil's in the detail. Yes, Lexus CT200h starts at $29,200 (base model)... but... NO LEXUS DEALERS has it!!! Yup, I tried every dealers in the region and no one has the base model. Premium model starts at $ 30,900 which is fair enough, but after couple of packages, price balloons to $ 34k +. Yes, we fell in love with CT200h, and it is a great car. We look to purchase it in the future when our finance allows it, but for now, we are very happy with our 2011 Prius III.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most new luxury cars? Not really, and certainly not at that price point.

As for LED headlights not being better than halogens? Only to someone who has never driven a car with LED headlights. They're not much better than HID...but they are a HUGE upgrade from halogen headlamps.

LED is the future because of low cost, low energy consumption,. low heat, and incredibly long lamp life. One day not too long from now ALL residential and automotive lighting will be LED.

19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I stocked up on CFLs and transitioned within the last 2-3 years almost all of my lights to them. I have issues with CFL (mainly long brightness time) and am hoping I don't have to buy anymore and that LED for residential lighting will be cheap enough by then to just go right to it. Home Depot and other places already have some LED bulbs on display. They are still fairly expensive but not outrageous and they do light up instantly and should last years if not decades.

20. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know...those techs are flowing downhill quickly....

But, more to the point that Lexus left out the techs that are avail on the Prius, even as options. Why not give those who want PCS everything since they are already paying for a rare option via special order??!!