1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would anyone Own a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gwest, Feb 8, 2011.

1. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, I have pretty much had it with my Prius...and no, it's nothing really specific.

I owned a 2005 Prius and liked it OK. I missed the leather seats and the interior, I felt, was really spartan. The mileage was great, but the car was nothing special.

Purchased a 2010 Prius about 18 months ago with leather and the "heated" seats (which are horrible in functionality and location). And I can honestly say that the ONLY thing I really like about either version is the mileage. Now, don't get me wrong, that's a huge plus.

But, the car rattles like crazy, especially in the cold weather (the console bridge is the culprit and I'm tired of sticking gray foam in between areas trying to resolve it).

You can feel EVERY single slight change in the road, as the suspension is so stiff it's like riding on a board.

And there is virtually no "get up and go" to the vehicle. I'm tired of car after car after car passing me by from the light. Not that I'm any speed demon, but sometimes I feel like I need to get out and push it takes so long to get to the speed limit.

Personally, I'm pretty bored with the Prius. It's not really fun to drive and now seems just utilitarian. In other words, after two Prius versions for me, the luster has really worn off.

Last summer I purchased a VW Eos hardtop convertible. Traded in the daughter's Beetle and since she doesn't live at home any more and doesn't need a car in downtown Chicago, I figured, what the heck...might as well buy a "fun" car. The car rides great, even in winter. It is smooth and quiet with no rattles or squeaks and of course, it's a blast to drive in the summer with the hardtop convertible top down. And I do get between 28-30 mpg just tooling around...no highway driving for the most part.

So, I use the Prius to commute and use the Eos for fun. I'm not condoning owning two vehicles, but when the Prius is paid off I might just sell the thing (or even earlier). The novelty has sure come and gone for me.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly, it's your driving style. Obviously the Prius isn't built for speed or hard turns but it can accelerate when it needs to. Don't confuse acceleration and power. I went from 60 to 80mph today in a matter of seconds to peel out in front of a flatbed on the highway. He had cut me off because he thought I cut him off at first. (But I hadn't - I gave him plenty of room and had my turn signal on for a long time. He honked long after I pulled in front him - he was obviously planning to honk at me for a while. Then he pulled around me to cut me off.) Anyways, I showed him. I don't mess aroun' playa!

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a lot of those at head office.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is no slug! I hill climb it and drive it like I stole it most of the time, and I still get great mileage!

See me driving a Gen III in my avatar, I'm not messing about!

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly.

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

So you've owned a Prius for 7 years, mostly in a GEN II Prius that's far more underpowered than the GEN III's, you don't like the rattles, or the power, or the ride, so you bought ANOTHER one ??

I don't get that, and I think your expectations are unfair. To me, the Prius is an economy car ... it's not a luxury car, even though some here seem to try to make it that by virtue of adding 10-12K worth of 'technology' to it.

I don't view the Prius as much different from a Corolla class car which gets far better mileage, which is why it's a roughly $20K car. It will NEVER be in the same class as the $30K cars, even if you pay that much for it (neither will a Lexus Matrix). That's why it's so surprising to see some here act like it's in that upscale class.

It's a $20K economy car ... nothing more ... if you want the quality and feel of a Lexus, Audi, Infinity, BMW, or MB, ya gotta buy one of them. Simple as that. When gas hits $5 a gallon, you'll be wishing you had those squeaks and rattles back, instead of the payments or investment of the upscale car, with double (or more) the monthly gas bill as well.

I honestly don't see how some are dissatisfied with the Prius, because it is what it is ... which we all should have known when we bought it, or test drove it.

REV

7. NewSlow

NewSlow New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been driving BMW's and P-cars for the last 20 years or so and because of the economy, we trimmed down a ton.

If you want to see "lipstick on a Pig", try the new 328i...great engine (btw, 35 mpg on the fwy @75-85 mph) but the built quality and interior for a 40K + car is just dirt or try one of their turbo'd cars and you'll love being stranded on the side of the road in your new BMW because the high velocity pump just decided to crap out on you.

I am happy for the Prius, yes...it does rattle a bit but as the above poster said, this is a 22k dollar car, regardless of what package you buy. I love the car for its intended purpose. I love the Lexus as well but it wasn't available in my area, may just turn in my 328 when the time comes for one of them.

8. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This should be stickied somewhere as a reminder to keep the correct perspective when discussing Prii.

9. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gas mileage is why I'd still pick the Prius, and the CT is kind of ugly to me too. A nicer interior would have been nice, but not another $3000 nice.

10. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Amen to that :rockon:

11. basicallyevolve

basicallyevolve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do all cars in the 20k range rattle? Does the insight rattle like the prius? The CRZ? Will the Sonata hybrid rattle as well? Kia optima Hybrid? Honda civic hybrid?

Now im not saying every prius rattles but after reading these forums for over a year now it seems that it is a common problem especially in the cold temps. I know not everyone has the problem but i dont want it to be a luck of the draw type deal. I would hate to go buy my prius and on the side pray that it doesnt rattle just to be on the edge of my seat everyday patiently waiting to see if i was one of the unlucky ones.

I just find it strange that you can swallow the fact that it is a 20k car and say thats why it rattles.
    I had a 2003 Honda civic EX that didnt rattle. I had a 40k Evolution that was basically a 15k lancer with a few extra bells and whistles that didn't rattle.

Since my next vehicle will be purchased in about 2 months i really want to make sure i get a car that will last and not give me problems. If you ask me... rattling is a problem..

I know if I get a Prius and get stuck with rattling sounds the dealership probably wont be able to solve it for me. They are always either blind or deaf when it comes to your problems. My Lancer evolution was making a sound like air was escaping from somewhere and 8 techs couldnt hear it at the dealership. I told them they were nuts and pulled the manager out ( who was my friend ) and he called one of his right hand men out to hear my car and BANG! he said it was the Manifold and that it was cracked. I wont have someone like that at the Toyota dealership to take care of me like that.

After driving my evolution and getting 6 MPG ( i had 600 all wheel horsepower) then getting my M5 and getting an average of 14 MPG i really need a car that gives better MPG. I want the prius really badly and think it looks better than the lexus hybrid and it is bigger as well. Maybe when i buy my car i will make the dealership sign an agreement with me stating that they will fix any and all rattling problems for me hahaha :p.

Again... Nothing personal. Im not attacking anyone or anything. I just want to make sure i wont run into any problems with my next vehicle purchase.

I see it first hand with my GF's car pretty much every day. Her engine makes ticking noises and the car has strange acceleration issues that the dealer cant seem to hear or duplicate. From day one they put the wrong oil in the car and that is what caused the ticking noise. They told us that the new oil they placed in will fix the issue and guess what! it hasnt ! They cannot hear the ticking noise anymore but we can. They dont see the acceleration issue but we do. The issues are on the forums and others have the same exact problem that have the same exact car as her and they get shafted. We even had an infinity rep come down from like the headquarters who handles these kinda of things and even he didnt hear or see any problems. Stealerships are the worst!

So that is why i dont want to jump the gun just yet haha :p. These are just my serious concerns and thoughts and i want a car that i can slap some nice rims on and enjoy without any issues. If i buy it and hear a rattle it will burn a hole in my brain and i will always think of it :p. I am a very anal person when it comes to my cars and computers :p. Like my evolution that had 600 AWP. I spent the money cause i enjoyed the car and the time i put into it.I Built my own computer and i have spent over 10k on it in parts because i enjoy it and take pride in my work. Sure .. only a few extra bells and whistles and does the same thing other computers do but much better :p! It is all taste! I want to get a Prius V base and put my own nav in, nice rims, A nice lip and side skirts, and customize the car for my taste :p. But me no likey rattles =(. Here in So Cal it gets from like the 30's in the winter and 110-120 sometimes in the summer and i really need a car that will keep me content! So for my peace of mind I might have to get the lexus but it is hard to swallow that kind of money difference for a better interior and maybe they don’t rattle? Who knows? Maybe they do?

12. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Would you mind backing up the above statement with facts ? What in the world makes it a given that the dealership won't be able to solve your (at this point) imagined and hypothetical problems ? I have a great dealer that worked on a 2008 RAV4 that I bought used for about 4 days before finding a rattle that drove me nuts. They all heard it ... never tried to deny it, and resolved it. They gave me a brand new rental to drive in the meantime, because in the service managers own words ... we're gonna find and solve this rattle if it's the last thing we do ... please bear with us. I did, I was completely polite during the process, even became friends with the service manager. WHen it was finally resolved ... Toyota had left a few alignment clips attached to the windshield during construction, and they were rattling, the car was PERFECT. I was happy, and the service manager was REALLY HAPPY ... so happy that he gave me $100 coupon for service because I was reasonable and polite and patient. We've since become friendly, and I only deal with him.

I think where people go wrong is going in with an attitude. They're combative, argumentative, and downright condescending. Nobody responds well to that, and the outcome will not be good. The people at the dealership didn't build the car, why should you be a wise guy to them. Act reasonable, polite, and have some patience, and that will take you a long way. These cars have 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranties, and I'm confident that any problems WILL BE FIXED prior to that warranty expiring.

All this said, if you have the attitude that you can't risk a car that might have a rattle or two to resolve through polite, patient, dealings with the service department .... just get a different car and stop killing yourself with the decision. Only thing is .... what are you gonna do when you buy an Audi, or Honda, or whatever .... and there's a rattle or squeek in THAT car ??

REV

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. basicallyevolve

basicallyevolve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    please dont compare PA to CA as far as dealerships go.

You have no idea how bad most dealerships are here. They want money and nothing else. You can get a a new prius II for like 19k or 20k in your state and surrounding states. In Socal.. ESPECIALLY where i live in the Los Angeles area you would be lucky to get the prius for invoice price. I am not talking about a 2010 at this point but a 2011. Every new car gets marked up in price and dealerships love it down here. I have gone through several dealerships and all of them cannot duplicate the problem or dont want to deal with you. You assume just because you got treated well that everyone gets treated well. PLEASE DONT ASSUME! I am talking about my experience here in socal and my experience with 5 different dealershipS! The dealership i serviced my Mitsubishi @ wouldnt touch my car at first because i got my car from a different city that was 180 miles away. WHY ???? because they were charging 15 grand mark up on their Mitsubishi Evolution 8 MRs when it first came out and i got it for sticker price from a dealership that wanted my business. THEY WERE UPSET that i didnt buy my car from them. After i spoke to the owner of the dealership and noticed my good friend was the Dealerships Service manager everything was great. BUT AGAIN > Please dont compare your states dealerships to mine.

as far as as you saying.....

They're combative, argumentative, and downright condescending. Nobody responds well to that, and the outcome will not be good. The people at the dealership didn't build the car, why should you be a wise guy to them. Act reasonable, polite, and have some patience, and that will take you a long way.

Please... You dont know me. I am a very nice person and never start fights or arguments. Judging by your response to my statement you are the argumentative type. Please dont even try. You have no idea what dealerships are like here. You apparently didnt read my entire post about the infiniti dealer and the mitsubishi dealer experience. For you to assume that i am jerk and dont know how to talk to people or get my way all i have to say is .... Piss off .. and your comments and statements are ignorant.

Here is what Dianna Whitmire said to me in an email after i saw her posting on these forums about her prius deals.

""What do you plan to pay for the Prius II?
    I should ask you that!

Cash deal or a financing deal or a lease?"""

WHO asks you " what do you plan to pay" ??? SOMEONE who is tryn to get your money!!! thats who! They want to get the most they can from you. Hell if you are stupid and have not done your research before you go in to the dealership she would take every penny you are willing to fork over for that vehicle. That is why i will go to Hootman toyota in long beach. Costco pricing = Invoice. No bullshit no games. AS someone has told me from another thread that you walk in and tell them you want their costco pricing on a prius and they show you the price and you can still haggle on that price.

What did the lexus dealership say to me here when i searched for a lexus dealership that honors costco pricing? Oh .... We do but on older vehicles. The lexus CT 200h wont be part of that program as we can get more money for it now. I was like ... UHH>???

All dealerships want here is mark up and to rip you off.. But call a dealership a few hundred miles away or in another state and they are starving for business and will work with you on a price.

MY Mitsubishi dealership made me wait 8 months on a pre order for my Evolution 8 MR and wanted 15k mark up. I told them we had a deal for sticker price and they said we cant honor that..... They tried to coax me into 10k markup and i said no... I want sticker price and they basically said no and told me to leave. I was nice an friendly with them until they were tryn to shove 15 grand down my throat for no reason.

AGAIN . do not compare your states dealerships to mine.... Just dont...

15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup ... you are a silver-tongued devil .... :D That'll work !!

I wasn't talking about you .... I was talking about 'people' in general ....

REV

16. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very well said sir. I applauded you, stick to your guns. I'm going through the same issue in southern VA. The stealership here won't budge much at all especially local (Berglund Toyota of Lynchburg is the worst). The best deals I can find are in another state like NC. I'ts just sad the way they do things to make as much money for themselves and still tell you were here for you this is one big family.

Yeh, right!!!

17. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't see how a dealership could survive with that attitude toward their customers. There was a Honda dealership near me that got the reputation of hassling customers and taking advantage of them. One year later they were gone .... well ... not GONE, but under completely new management and ownership. They got too big for their britches selling Hondas, acted as if they were doing the customers a favor by selling them a car, and the customers voted with their feet. There's always another dealership around the corner .... vote with your feet.

REV

18. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    REV , that's just what I did I walked out. Just to share one story about Berglund Toyota of Lynchburg. I read some where the seven signs to look out for from a sells person. This guy from Peru broke two, (1) he said I could loose my job if I tried to get you that price. (2) the ol bait and switch, I was about to buy a Prius IV red with tan leather int. Stepped out to my trade-in to get my registration and insurance card. I come back and he states I'm sorry but were going to have to give you the Red one with dark gray leather int. because it's the oldest one on the lot. My mgr. will not give you the one you want and test drove because it's one of our newer ones on our lot.

So it was good bye Berglund Toyota of Lynchburg, VA

19. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the answer .... see ya Berglund ...

REV

20. mrcuiser

mrcuiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately I have to agree. I just got my Prius III 3rd gen and while I love the car to death, Toyota needs to upgrade the JBL (even the one that comes with the Nav) and the look of the dash. Kinda like what the Prius V looks like...