1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would someone weld two tail pipes on a muffler?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TorrancePriusOwner, Jan 21, 2012.

1. TorrancePriusOwner

TorrancePriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to buy a 1 1/4" receiver hitch for my 2005 Prius. This is for a hitch bike rack, not to tow. I've found a couple that are suppose to work (from Draw-Tite and Curt Manufacturing), but when I finally brought it somewhere to have one installed they realized that the previous owner (I bought the care used this past summer) had welded on a different tail pipe with two tubes coming out the end, thus making it impossible to install the hitch.

I don't know a lot about cars, so please someone enlighten me why this was done? Does it increase the performance? Would I be a fool to have this cut off and a normal pipe welded on?

Thanks for any input. I'd really like to get a hitch for a bike rack.

2. DonVentura

DonVentura SoCal Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I seriously doubt it has any performance enhancing value. Can you provide us a couple of photos?

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Most likely it may give a minimal increase to the performance, but not likely any serious gains. It's a Prius not a Porsche and I seriously doubt that the dual pipe muffler was tuned for the Prius. I think the previous owner just wanted to make their Prius look different and have a different sound when the ICE is running. Can you post some pictures?

P.S. Congratulations on buying your '05 Prius and welcome to PriusChat.