1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why would you choose a Prius over a Chevy Volt?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Kane Lillywhite, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Kane Lillywhite

Kane Lillywhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

I am in the market for hybrids and torn between the Prius Plug-in and Chevy Volt plug-in. Price aside, what can I get out of a Prius? Anything that can help me with my decision would be most useful!
    Thanks

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt is kind of small.

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Where do you live? California electricity can get expensive in upper tiers.
    How many people and cargo will you need to transport?
    Which test drive did you like the best?
    How far is your daily commute?
    Help me help you.

Godzuki likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What will be your typical use?

Far more people are able to do their full work commute in all-electric mode in a Volt than in a Plug-In Prius. For numerous people within this span, the Volt's EV range is the deciding factor. For those outside this span, the choice becomes more complex.

jondoig likes this.
  5. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many reasons I would choose a prius over a volt. Reliability, interior space, the volt does poor in cold climates to name a couple. To be honest the Nissan leaf does better than a colt and it is full electric. Most common complaint here is poor fuel economy in the winter with the volt.

kenichols29 likes this.
  6. Kane Lillywhite

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Vancouver, BC.
    My daily commute is about 20 miles back and forth.
    I would need to transport 4 people tops. Cargo may or may not be included, unless we are going on a road trip.
    With regards to test driving, I still have mixed feelings about both.

7. Kane Lillywhite

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Vancouver BC and the temperature over here drops to a minimum of -9 degrees or so. Would you say that that would affect the Volt? Also why would you say the leaf performs better than the Volt? My apologies, I haven't really researched on the Nissan Leaf!

8. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would affect the volt. Cold weather affects range dramatically. Winter you can figure about 25 miles of range on electric because you also have draw of a puny little electric heater that just dribbles mildly warm air, hills, ect. In nd where temps get to 60 below zero most people never have the benefits of ev with them. The ones I have seen all have the engines running and the one on the lot always shows fuel economy of 36mpg which is not that good for a car that is supposed to do 50 miles of ev for city commuting

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One way, or round trip?

If one way, will you be able to recharge at work?

10. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Prius isn't exactly immune to the cold, either...
    Really depends on your priorities. If you want to do as much of your driving as possible in EV, then the Volt is probably the better option. If you want the best mileage after the battery runs out, the PiP wins.

kenoarto likes this.
  11. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

12. J L

J L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The interior quality and materials of the volt is much nicer, but my biggest concern is the drivetrain between the two cars. The Prius is a proven platform for reliable hybrid cars and I'm very interested in keeping maintenance costs to a minimum over my ownership of the car.

And personally, I'm not open to primarily-electric vehicles yet. Charging infrastructure is abysmal around where I live, and I commute well over 60 miles a day. Residents of townhouses in my area do not have access to 240 volt outlets. The asking prices for an electric (or plug-in hybrid) vehicle that is within commuting range is not within my preferred budget. I actually wouldn't even choose a Prius Plug-in, but that's for my own circumstances.

I would think about what concerns you the most out of owning a car over a few years. Although a volt would serve your needs very well based on what you have said, the reasons I mentioned for owning a standard Prius (or a Prius v) would mostly apply to a Prius plug-in, albeit at a higher cost.

#12 J L, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're not comparing the plug in prius, it's really two different cars. for your commute, volt would be all or almost all ev. for longer distances, prius offers much better gas mileage. other than that, it's really a personal choice like any car buying decisions. all the best!(y)

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the government kickbacks for the Volt in BC?
    Can you (legally) charge at work?
    What are your electricity prices?

As stated above, they're two very different cars.
    I know which one I would buy right now, but I live in a different climate, I have a much smaller commute, I'm an empty-nester, I can LEGALLY charge at work, gas here is $2.60USD a gallon, electricity is 5cents/kWh, and my government kicks back a heckuva lot more on the Volt than for a Prius. Also...I live in hurricane country and the Volt would be a much better emergency backup power source than the G3, although the G3 also has that capability.

So....which one did I get?
    Neither.

My work car is a Prius and I like having a $0.00 car payment. :D

You're going to have to examine YOUR situation and make your choice.

Good Luck!

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is not clear you meant to post in the Prius v forum, but lets pretend you did. (Now moved to the plus in forum)

Prius v has no plugin range, and gets a EPA 42 MPG, it seats 5 adults and has 36 cubic feet of cargo space ( or 2 adults and 67 cf) it has a space saver spare.

The Prius PHV has a 6 mile EPA electric range and 50 MPG. It seats 4 adults and a child under 10 with 21 cf of cargo, or the rear seats fold own for more. No spare.

The Volt has a EPA 35 mile range on electricity, but only 37 MPG on gas. It only seats 4. 2 adults and 2 victims. The rears seats do not fold so 10.6 cf is it. No spare tire.

I used English traditional units and USEPA numbers the actual ratios remain the same in metric.

#15 JimboPalmer, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, that's just when the hard-acceleration occurs in the EPA testing, which triggers the engine to run then shut back off.

Range is roughly 12 miles. I've personally went 17 miles. It varies. The capacity is 4.4 kWh.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did not type that, so I do not feel the need to defend it.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wondered why your messege ended so abruptly at that point. I obviously caught it prior to the update.

19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's kind of redundant to ask a Prius forum what's the best. But the bottom line is not economics (a standard economy car is better for all but high mileage users); the choice is yours based on personal preference. If I lived up north I would consider 4 wheel drive and a conventional engine with a good heater.

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt handles the cold just fine. It's handling in the winter is superior to the handling of the Gen2 Prius, I don't know if gen3 improved that.

It really depends upon your driving patterns.
    If you would find yourself driving on gas often, the Prius is probably better.

How often will you have passengers in the back seat? The Volt back seat is small and I wouldn't get it if you have adult passengers often.

Of course, if you can wait, we should be seeing the second gen Volt and the next gen Prius mid to late next year.