1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. gasgzzlerstang

gasgzzlerstang New Member

i actually get about 25 mpg with the a/c on. what motivated me to post on here is that i saw a thread about a bunch of guys racing their prius's (or priusi if thats plural) and some of yall on here are talking about how 17.8 at 74 mph is not that bad. your right, its not that bad ITS HORRIBLE. i can understand having fun in a car hence why i got a mustang, but that would be excrucating to drive that slow. its not that i can not learn new technology as someone stated above, i have all kinds of new technology around my apt but i absolutely could not get used to driving a car that ran on batteries. save those for golf carts. for the guy that said that girls dont like fast cars, your crazy. chicks around here love to haul nice person and be loud. no i dont need a car to get girls but theres still nothing like driving around somewhere and chicks breaking their necks to look and see who that is. plus another thing that drives me nuts is how you and your "low emission" golf carts are better than everything else.

-240sxer thanks for bringing your brilliant expert opinion to the table. thats really nice you have a 600hp rice burner that smells like gas and all. if it smell like gas then heaven forbid its probably poluting more than your helping with your prius. and with et streets on the back means you race? well we both know that it doesnt get 18 mpg with your foot in it and like u said its not practical to drive girls around so you shot yourself in the foot with that also. and for the Z06 im sure it does get 28 mpg on the interstate but with a car like that you dont just drive it really slow all the time and shift at 1200 rpm so if you use like its built then your figures are off.

and priusguy04, sweet older car you have there. it may have beaten 96-98 GTs with it but it WILL NOT touch a 99+ GT. sorry.

flame away

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi gasgzzlerstang,

I think you either misread that. Can you provide the reference? Its probably more like 47.8 mpg at 74 mph for a Prius in low 90 s weather. I guess a 4 can look like a 1. Especially if you learned your numbers in a european country.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gasgzzlerstang @ Jun 15 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]271870[/snapback]</div>
    Prius runs on Gasoline 87 Octane. It has a HV battery pack (99lbs) to use when the gas engine is extremely inefficient. 295 lbs-ft electric motor seperate Prius from the small eco car. Prius is a mid-size sedan and it accelerates like any other Toyota. However, do to the design of HSD, highway passing is noticable faster and responsive than any other Toyota!

Go check out other HSD cars... for example, Toyota Camry Hybird. TCH gets better mpg than Toyota Yaris, much bigger, and gives V6 like power. That's the kind of absolute advantage HSD can get you. For Prius, HSD was tuned to give more fuel economy.

Dennis

4. gasgzzlerstang

5. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Me thinks that your car is a replacement for your Oscar Meyer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. 94integraVTAK

94integraVTAK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gasgzzlerstang @ Jun 15 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]271870[/snapback]</div>
    ^werd. sn-95's were turds.

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I 'pimped out' my 2006 Prius with leather seats as an after market option 'because I WANTED THEM AND COULD AFFORD THEM. If, instead, I had chosen to buy a <name your model year> <name your car>, it's fairly likely I would have gotten aftermarket leather seats for THAT car for the exact same reason. It's the same reason I have 3 pairs of pink leather shoes (not counting sandals/flip-flops/etc.) and why I have 0 pairs of shoes with 3" heels (or higher) - it's MY choice with no consideration whatsoever what anyone else might think about my choice. I've actually had people compliment me on some of my jewelry - yes, I was flattered, but I bought those pieces of jewelry because *I* like 'em and don't particularly care what other people like in jewelry for me.

8. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gasgzzlerstang @ Jun 15 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]271870[/snapback]</div>
    Show me a Domestic car that's as tame as my 240 on the street that can compete. I have yet to see one. REALLY fast cars that don’t have over 100k into them (either the cost of the car or in mods) are just like mine, pretty raw. My 240 is a lot more plush and tame than other folks I see with sub 11 second street cars. And your mustang does not get 25mpg unless you drive it like a grandma and the same with my Z06. That's how any car is really. The Prius is fast enough to get around. If you want to go fast in a 4 door sedan and still get good fuel economy that's too bad because the car you want does not exist.

Sports car are sports car, Race cars are race cars, and daily drivers are daily drivers. Don't come in here comparing your Rustang with a 4 door car that gets 50+mpg. The car does smell like gas, my vband on the turbo leaks slightly, and before it spools it's pig rich. And when I said 600hp, I’m talking to the wheels on low boost. ;) I really don't care about the environment much, (hell, if I thought I could get a good gain and get away with it I’d take the cats off the prius too) nor do a lot of the other prius owners. We like the car. Just like just because you drive a mustang does it 100% of the time means you have 4 teeth? No.. Don't bundle everyone together. And sorry to burst your bubble but domestics dominating the street is so 5 years ago.

Before you go talking smack about the supra do you know anything about the car? It can pretty much put down double the power your mustang block can stock vs. stock.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jun 15 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]271874[/snapback]</div>
    He is talking about the 1/4 mile time. Some people forget that driving around in a super fast car is pointless 99% of the time you are driving. 17.8 is fast enough to get around, and on top-end the prius is more of a low 17 car, it just does not leave hard because of the delay in the gas motor kicking in. I ran 18.1@76 in mine@ 2800ft elevation with a 2.8 60ft. I also ran a 13.0@145mph with a 2.8 60ft in my 240. Go figure. Yes, it's hard to cut a good time when your 60 is so bad. In a fast car or slow car. It does not mean the car still does not have balls when you need it (on top end on the freeway)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gasgzzlerstang @ Jun 15 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]271870[/snapback]</div>
    Why, thank you!

It's not that we're trying to be elitists or anything (well, most of us anyway. I can't say it for everyone since this site has expanded rapidly) but who doesn't love their own car?

As for modifications? Ours don't include cats and CAIs since they don't do much. We'd rather solve the handling bit (suspension braces, wheels, struts/shocks etc) or the electronic bit (EV, iPod, dvd player etc).

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gasgzzlerstang @ Jun 15 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]271870[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks ref the classic I sold her to another hott rodder after I found out you have to pay $$$$ to play.
    So now I have a 6' bed that never has to be made (catch my drift)? yes silly its a pick-up truck my other car is a prius :p

Ohhh the 1/4 mile :lol: the normal prius owner automaticly thinks MPG. :blink: but in the 1/4 mile the Prius goes 0-60 in 10.9 seconds, not bad for a stock 1.5L & electric motor combined totaling 110hp.. the top speed is 109.5 at 43mpg with the air on Now thats impressive! :eek: :)

I know the type of chicks that like to go fast & like loud cars. just be sure to wrap your stick & hide your wallet. ;) :lol:

The Prius type chick seems more refined, the type you could bring home for dinner and if extra cricular activities ended up in the mix and not worry about falling asleep and finding your wallet, cash, and other valuables gone when you wake up. :lol: :lol:

11. pacman099

pacman099 New Member

You guys have over 23,000 views on the old thread. Thats some good traffic to bring in. Congratulations.

The folks over at vwvortex are wondering if your servers are running on alternative fuel.

12. Frozen

Frozen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pamcan099 @ Jun 15 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]271938[/snapback]</div>

They save up so much fuel that the server run off a diesel generator...

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I am always amazed at the idiocy of people on both sides of this argument. It seems that there is hardly ever a middle ground.

I feel I can speak pretty well on this subject, as I have on of the most "pimped" Priuses here.

Why?

Well, it really comes down to what michael said, it's because I can. Cars are NOT just a item to get you from point A to point B. A car is an expression of who you are. If that weren't true, there wouldn't be so many models out there.

I have modified my Prius because in its stock form it is not up to my standards. Yes, it gets great gas mileage, but it doesn't handle like I want a car to handle. The mods I've done helped with that. Appearence? Same, it looks great fromt he factory, but with a few parts, I can make it look better. Which leads to the next question, to whom? To me. I think my car looks better now than before, and that's all that matters. I'm not doing any of these things to make anyone other than me happy. It's m car and my mods and I enjoy doing them. If I was "pimping" my car to try and make others happy, to impress them, then its going to take more than a car to make you life worthwhile. You have bigger issues which a car cannot fix. As for me, I LOVE cars. They are a passion. There isn't a single car I have ever owned that I have not "pimped" in some way, from a base model Nissan pickup to a Mercedes SL. All received some extra stuff that the factory "forgot" to put on.

My Prius is more fun to drive today than it was when I bought it. Each part or modification I make makes it even more fun to drive. SUre, it would have been easier to do this with another car, but I was looking for good mileage. I plan on buying a Lotus Exige in the near future, and thats the car I'll drive when I really want to have a blast driving. But that doesn't mean my Prius has to be boring.

That is why I "pimped" my Prius.

14. 94integraVTAK

94integraVTAK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Jun 15 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]271915[/snapback]</div>
    what exactly makes your 240 so docile on the street? sure it's a small displacement turbo motor, but who's to say that a turbo V8 can't be a daily driver? look up Mike Murillo of Texas. His 9 second twin turbo 'stang is daily driven. So is Tim Lynch's. i could go on and on. now, granted, once boost hits, it's a different story. but isn't it the same for every turbo'd car? Also, the term "tame" or "docile" on the street depends on the person you are talking to. a twin turbo stang might be impossible for you to drive on the street with DOT tires. does that mean it's the same for everyone else? no. you can make any turbo car seem "plush and tame" if you want. a relatively small engine with a big turbo might mean tame on the street, but if you wind out the gears, it can become quite a monster.

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    '94integraVTAK & gasgzzlerstang'

How many total miles can you go on a tank of gas F to E?

Whats the full total gallons the tank holds?

How much does it cost to fill your gas tank up?

PriusGuy04~

How many total miles can I go on a tank of gas F to E? 512 - 520 :p

Whats the full total gallons MY tank holds? 10.9 gal. :D

How much does it cost to fill your gas tank up? $22.50 :rolleyes:

I drove from Orlando FL. to Bryan Tx. on 2 tanks of gas. with the cruise set on 83mph & still averaged 48mpg. that = more money in my wallet.. :p

What do you get options wise on the base model of your vehicles?

Prius Base Model #1; pwr windows/locks/keyless entry, Cruise, A/C, AM/FM/CD, dual air bags, Halogen headlights, LED brake lights, 3yr/36k mechanical warr. & 8yr 100k electrical: including battery pack warr. for $21.700 +ttx..... Im sure Im leaving something else out here. But I think you get the picture, we dont have to go fast to get where we are going but if needed we have the ability to move quickly. ;)

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Jun 15 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]271729[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

whoa- how'd you manage to shove that engine in there? :blink:

17. gasgzzlerstang

first off its not a rustang...its a white trash ferrari.. B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 15 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]271983[/snapback]</div>
    these are the people that drive me nuts....braggin about gas mileage! thats the most retarded thing i have ever heard. thats nice that you save some dollars at the pump. if i wanted to do that i would have bought a civic or something. im so sick and tired of turning on the tv or radio and hearing that nutjob al gore talk about global warming and the tree huggers protesting SUVs!

and for the guy that said im compensating for my oscar myer. you know what, your right my 2" prick depresses me so much that i had to go buy my white trash ferrari to bulid up my comfidence. i mean hell if i were any smaller i would have gotten a VETTE :rolleyes:

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Jun 15 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]271729[/snapback]</div>
    I notice that during the ENTIRE video, the Prius was out front the whole time. :)

19. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(94integraVTAK @ Jun 15 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]271966[/snapback]</div>
    Fast turbo cars do tend to be tame on in general on the street. My car isnt the most tame fast car in existance, but one of my points is the cost. My motor has a completly stock head and bottom end. All it has is a nice size turbo, injectors, and a piggyback. It's not some full race motor. My car is not gutted what soever. Only thing i'm missing is AC because it would not fit. I have TH400 transmission, and a Tbrake. My car isnt some major sponsored racecar. It's a basic RWD import with a stock motor from another import, Chevy transmission, and a big turbo. My car drives fine on the street, I can run it on pump gas, and really low boost 18psi and it pokes around just fine with just under 500whp. When the wastegate opens its REALLY loud inside the car, that's what most people complain about with noise, otherwise it's loud but nothing unbearable. You can overcome anything with enough money, as you've shown with those mustangs. The mustang block splits at 500whp around 70% of the time. The mustang can do more than my car with 500whp because of it's torque and displacment, but luckly my motor can do 700whp on the 100% stock head and block. Since my car does most of it's moving on top-end. It does not require the crazy VHT prepped tracks to make good passes. Basically, not to be full of my car, but for a smooth 10 second car, it's pretty unbeatable. Not saying that it would be impossible, but it IS at the top of its game. At this point i've spent around $11,000 in modifications to my car, not doing ANY of the work myself (I just spec the parts, and say what I want, i'm a computer guy not a wrench guy). Probably only 6k or so if you were to do the work yourself. bla bla bla you made me run on about my car. PM me if you want to discuss so we don't bore the world.

20. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 15 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]271997[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gasgzzlerstang @ Jun 15 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]272023[/snapback]</div>
    Come on dude. Your Mustang is stock; it's got probably a couple mods and runs 14s at best. For those of us who drive our cars gas mileage is a big deal. I drive my Prius about 27,000 miles per year.

Let's do some basic math so your can understand how it works.
    Assuming an average "car" gets 25mpg, I get 45mpg (and I don't doke around all slow). This is the annual fuel cost for each car:

prius

Car X

Savings: 1440

The Prius saves you money in gas. Why pay more when you don't have to? Even if I pay more for the car I'm still happier paying for a CAR, I’m paying for a CONSUMABLE. Just like Nitrous vs Induction, even though induction may cost you more initially, you don't have to constantly have those $40+ fills to the bottle. At the end of the year, with the nitrous you still might come out ahead, but after a few years if you actually USE it, you'll eventually be at the same cost, and in the end of everything you are left with a car with a $500 nitrous kit install on the car vs. a car with a $4000 blower. I put it into a car racing scenario so you'd get it more.

I don't see why you don’t' get the concept of paying less money. Do you go seeking out the most expensive gas stations? No. Why? Because you want to pay as little as possible right? Especially in these times of high gas prices it's just smart to have a more fuel efficient car.