1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey gang, this isn't troll feeding--it's just a baby gnome! Relax--one way or another, he will learn. He won't like it, but he will learn. Not here, from us, but sometime and someplace that will be a painful lesson. Kids like this do NOT learn unless it hurts. I've know too many of 'em not to have figured that out. Feel sorry for his parents, or even for him. But I reckon we gotta let this one go. Throw him back--below the legal size limit for keepers, ya know?

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, if you're bored, here's a challenge: try to make all of your future posts grammatically correct and free of spelling errors. Don't blame your deficiencies on the Internet or your laziness -- no one is buying that story.

3. pruis-liberal

pruis-liberal New Member

im done, this was fun for a little while.

you guys have fun polluting the world with smug,

i bet you guys are still going reply to this, over and over again....like im going to come back. LOL

4. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pruis-liberal @ Jun 20 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]273919[/snapback]</div>
    I know you said you're gone but you came back last time and i'm willing to bet you will come back read this and then not post just to prove a point.

I am 16 and I have a very detailed plan of what I want to do with my life. It involves an EDUCATION.
    2 More years of this highschool stuff, graduating with honors.
    Then 6 years at Georgia Tech getting my Masters in mechanical engineering.
    Followed by 1 year program at the DAID (Detroit Automotive Institute of Design)

Then entering my career as an automotive engineer or designer. Most likely a designer but a switch-off to engineer later on for better pay.

It's these hybrids that you keep dissing that will keep people on the road with these gas prices and allow me to get the job I want. You say your job is secure, with people staying on the roads as long as possible for as cheap as possible, my job will be secure too.

Have fun going to someone's house and wiring up an A/C unit. while I put your family in a car and you pay my boss's company and they pay me your earnings.

There, if you come back, you'll know another 16 year old who knows EXACTLY what they want to do.

5. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pruis-liberal @ Jun 20 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]273926[/snapback]</div>
    *sigh* Watch a single South Park episode, and suddenly everybody's an expert on social issues...

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 19 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]273954[/snapback]</div>
    AND you have an incredibly well thought out plan for getting what you want. You sound like one really together guy and should be very proud of yourself. You will go far, and I can't wait to see what company you are gonna end up being CEO for! Keep up the great work! <div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

7. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

Thanks, I can't wait to see what the future holds either.

Just 2 days ago Chip Foose saw my artwork (public signing) and complemented me for my age and skill level. So my designs just may come to street someday. If only I had a scanner, I'd show you guys. >.<

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]273962[/snapback]</div>
    Aw c'mon GG--you are 16--if half your friends don't have scanners, I'd be really surprised! I know lots of us would love to see your work. And lots of us'll be jealous we can't do as well! (Well, I will be, anyway! [​IMG])

9. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 20 2006, 02:22 AM) [snapback]273963[/snapback]</div>
    I'll make sure to PM you some sometime then from a friend's house. Later on I'll create a thread for them. I just never thought of mooching off of friends.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:28 AM) [snapback]273969[/snapback]</div>
    Think of it as "networking," not mooching--it's what makes the business world go round! [​IMG] I'll look forward to seeing them! [​IMG]

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 20 2006, 02:51 AM) [snapback]273954[/snapback]</div>
    Congratualations on having a plan, short term and long term. And things may happen that change those plans, and I'm sure you'll adapt quite well. And you won't wake up some day when you're 40 and say "What happened?" I'm pushing 60, and I'm actually quite happy - I've gotten so many good things out of life!

I didn't have as clear a plan when I was 16 - I just knew I wanted to finish high school and go to a good college that gave me the prospect of a good career. It took me about 8 years to decide what field I wanted to work in, and I'm still glad I made that choice, working in that field still more than 30 years later, making a contribution and getting satisfaction from it.

People who have a goal in mind are far more likely to get there than people who just 'wander around aimlessly'.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    GasGuzzler, you have successfully and succinctly proven many points all at once. And I'm damned glad it was a fellow Moderator from another forum who did it. That point, which was apparently overlooked previously, is that it is not necessary to prove yourself superior to someone deadest on proving themselves inferior.

Socrates is purported to having once said that youth know nothing of adulthood whereas adults know everything about youth. Most of us can look back and remember what it was like to be 16. Many of us remember that we did not have the clear goals and intellectual maturity that you have so far displayed.

As I said in another reply, we welcome all people and all views to Priuschat. Extreme cases excluded, we keep a clean board with intelligent discussions and stimulating banter. I hope you stick around for a while at least. As I know you are with your Mazda, we are all proud of our Prii and simply like to talk about them and swap ideas. Unfortunately, there is danger in hanging out too long with narrow-focused, like-minded people and it is refreshing to hear new thoughts coming at us from new angles.

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]273962[/snapback]</div>
    A digicam would be an adequate scanner these days for a low-res looksie.

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm jealous! Chip Foose is incredible. Good luck with your plan, you sound like a very level headed (but fun) young man.

15. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First off, thank you GasGuzzler87 for sticking up for us younger members of PriusChat. You hopefully have convinced other members that not all 16 year olds are whiny, delusional brats who think that they can make $80 an hour fixing a HVAC system. At least here in Orlando, a 16 year old would be lucky to make $8 an hour (I make $6.90 working for Disney, laugh if you want, but at least I HAVE a job and realize that you can't have your cake and eat it too when you’re 16.) You are a fool if you do not plan on going to college. It's different if you can't afford it, but if you don't go because you don't feel like it, you have almost certainly doomed the rest of your life to renting a studio apartment and working at Burger King. Also, to GasGuzzler87, it seems as if you have the same career path as me. I graduate high school this year and then I'm off to the University of Central Florida for 4 years to major in mechanical engineering. Then I'll apply for an internship with Toyota as a hybrid engineering intern. They have the position available now, but its 3 years too early for me. I have folders of car designs around my room and I'm working on my own hybrid powertrain that doesn't use gasoline. Depending on if I have to do a science fair project this year, I'll try to make a scale model of my engine.

Finally, to try to bring this thread 360, most Prius owners don't "pimp" their ride. "Pimping" a ride, at least to me, means making modifications that are in poor taste and serve no real purpose other than boosting their ego. I have found that most Prius owners are intelligent people who would make a modification to either improve the quality of the car or to make their Prius more a statement about themselves as an individual. Everyone has the right to customize their car, including Prius owners.

16. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 20 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]274204[/snapback]</div>
    Ok then I'll show you a quick 1 1/2 hour pic I did for a friend. He took it home and took a picture of it with his digital camera so that's why it looks a little funny.
    Real car:
    http://photos-637.facebook.com/ip001/v10/2...022637_1926.jpg
    Drawing:
    http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment....achmentid=75705

17. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pruis-liberal @ Jun 19 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]273677[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I'll enjoy the scam while the other "same model" (non-existent in this case) non-hybrid car (and a bunch of $800 Bronco II's) is stuck in traffic for an extra 1-1.5 hours a day and I'm "flying" by them on the HOV lane at 60 MPH...or is that 60 MPG...or both :blink: ...hmmm...and my 100k warranty...hmmm B)

18. spaceman

spaceman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jun 19 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]273846[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you're doing your own "perversion" there. By full on race I meant whenever someone suggested that the other driver wasn't really racing, they insisted that the other driver was trying to beat them for real. I didn't mean in a 1/4 mile drag strip race. I also said "beat or almost beat". Keeping up with someone implies the race was close. But anyways, I meant whenever someone brought up the fact that the "race" might've been one sided the other person was almost always emphatic that it was a mutual race. Even a claim that a Prius can keep up with a sports bike that's trying to race from 0-40 is absurd.

A lot of times you can easily beat people in a "race" just on virtue of the other person not racing at all or not seriously racing. I mean just today I was driving and the light turned green. I went and a Neon to my left started going, I could tell the Neon was planning on cutting into my lane but he didnt' signal so I pushed a tiny bit harder on the gas. I heard the Neon mash on his gas pedal (I heard his engine kick into high gear, though he wasn't moving forward much faster) which made me chuckle. For his effort I let off the accelerator completely to let him pass. This was not an actual race (if I was inclined to street race, I could've easily beaten him considering my car is much faster than a Neon). But if the driver of that car was like some of the Prius drivers in that other thread, he would've said "Chalk up a win for the Neon!"

In that thread, no one who claimed they beat a car (or stayed close to a car/bike which would leave them in the dust if they truly tried) would really acknowledge the fact that maybe the "beat" someone who wasn't actually racing. I don't really see why you're trying to defend that thread. Those claims were pretty outrageous. The reason so many different car forums were making fun of people in that thread was simply because instead of admitting their claims were off, they tried to defend it. "I beat a Mustang GT because American cars can't handle so once I hit a curve, I left him behind". "I lost to an M3 because of my speed limiter." "It was uphill." "Torque wins races and the Prius has a lot of torque!"

Personally I have nothing against the Prius. I actually considered getting the car myself at one point. But I do have my doubts about the whole hybrid technology though. I think I'd rather see a shift away from hybrid technology and into alternative fuels (like ethanol). Hybrid technology just seems like a temporary solution. Sure, it gets you better gas mileage, but you're still using up gasoline. You're just using it at a slower rate. That's also why I'm not a huge proponent of diesel. It gets you GREAT mileage too, but it's still a fossil fuel. You may be using it up slower, but you're still using it up. It's just my opinion that a true solution would get us off of fossil fuels entirely which would hopefully end our dependance on certain countries and off of a non replenishable resource.

And GasGuzzler87... Gas guzzling... that's an apt way of describing a rotary owner. (I own a rotary too).

19. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

Agreed...when we can get full ethanol like our South American neighbors, we will be far better off...and when we make a hybrid with that technology...watch out...until that time...Prius

As far as the Racing thing...please...

20. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spaceman @ Jun 20 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]274450[/snapback]</div>
    If that is how you were utilizing the word racing in your post, then I did pervert yours. However, in the original thread, this was not how the visitors were using the word (as they were talking about 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times). And in terms of the your definition of racing, neither you (or for that matter I) was there, to say who was or wasn't really "racing." If the original poster believed that the other drivers were really trying to race, then I think that they have a reason to think so. BS doesn't get very far in here. It just as likely could have been that the other drivers made errors or didn't know how to race (as one poster admitted to before any other visitors came on). It doesn't really matter though, because at the end of the day, no one on PC thinks the Prius is a sports car.

I tend to disagree about the shift away from hybrids because why hybrids may not be the solution, it is likely they will be a part of the solution. Just as ethanol could be a part of the solution. Toyota plans on selling 1 million hybrids a year by the next 4 or 5 years, and that is just one manufacturer. As it is currently, ethanol is nowhere near being able to make much of an impact and is still heavily based off of fossil fuels (gotta grow that corn somehow). 16 millions barrels a day (or whatever the current usage of oil is in the US) is a lot of ethanol and without some major breakthroughs in ethanol technology, it isn't going to happen soon. By the time it gets to that point, hybrids will be firmly entrenched.

Toyota has said that the hybrid technology can be utilized in many forms, including fuel cell vehicles. Plus, one makes the assumption that hybrid technology is going to stand still, which it will not. There are already two companies that can make a person drive a car that is free from fossil fuels (depending on where their electricity comes from) and battery technology is going to get batter as well. I for one can't wait to have a solar array that can provide power for my house and for my vehicles. If that technological breakthrough comes for ethanol, then I will support it. Shoot, why not a hybrid that runs on ethanol, like mastergunner mentioned? As far as diesels go, I think being able to use biodiesel is a great application (just unfortunate that most don't, just as most flexfuel vehicles don't use E85).

To sum it all up, using less oil is better, no matter how you do it, and the beauty of hybrids is that you can use a lot less right now, no matter where you are.