1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wider tires improve Prius handling and looks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nyprius, May 24, 2006.

1. LowCO2

LowCO2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott_W @ May 29 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]262416[/snapback]</div>
    FYI
    narrower tires = better traction in rain/snow
    a smaller footprint means there's less of the slippery stuff to displace from your path

2. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LowCO2 @ Jun 6 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]266908[/snapback]</div>
    That might be true in most snow conditions, but not on icy conditions. The wider tire has more grabbing surface.

In the rain, it depends on the amount of water on the road. In a deep puddle, yes the narrow tire will get down to the road surface faster. On wet or damp roads, the wider tire will probably hold curves better.

Also, a high quality wider all season tire with great tread design, will beat a crappy narrow tire, like the 185/65R15 Goodyear Integrity, on any road surface. BTW, where's the integrity in selling a crappy tire?

3. brewmaster_sd

brewmaster_sd New Member

Do not put the Pirelli Cinturato (Pirelli P3000) tire on a 2005 Prius. I had to return the tires right away as they cut my gas mileage by 7-10 miles per gallons. Thank GOD Discount Tire people are good to work with and gave me purchase credit. Stick with the Integrity that is OEM. You'll save money in the long run via the better mileage you get, even though they don't last much more than 40,000 miles in Southern California.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wide tyres can work in the rain IF they have very wide grooves. I like the idea of 17 inch rims but you need to pick a silica compound low rolling resitance tyre to get the best economy possible while maintaining tread life.

Acording to my favorite tyre calculator your speedo will read 0.4mph slow at 60mph if the standard tyres are 185 - 65H 15.