1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wieght of Gen2 eng/tranny?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a chance to purchase a low miles engine and CVT transaxle complete but removed from the car. The tranny is still bolted up to the engine. Wouldn't be a big deal to unbolt but time may be a factor since this is at a private residence of the the sellers relative. Not in a shop, so this will be a drive way load into my F150 PU. Since the driveway is kinda steep, the tail gate shouldn't be more than 18" off the concrete.

What would you guys say or guess the combine weight to be??

I could use a refrig. dolly since that would tend to keep it upright since there is probably going to be some oil in the engine.

Looking at an installed combine unit, it looks like the left end of the tranny is rather flat and that being the heavier end, I could put that flat area on the dolly base plate and strap the engine to the handle rails. Sorry, just "thinking out load'.

Plan "B". Now many bolts are there in the bell housing to reduce it to two more manageable loads??
    ( I just returned the Gen1 manuals I have borrowed, so no referances right now.)

Thoughts or opinions welcome.
    Steve

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is 500-600 lb total.

I believe there are six bolts in the bell housing to be removed. It may also be necessary to remove other items like the plate that covers the hole where a starter motor would be located, if Prius had a starter motor.

3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, that sounds manageable but in the meantime I contacted the seller and he will have it seperated so that will divide the weight somewhat. It appears that the CVT, with the MG1&MG2, will still be the heavier. I can manage a couple hundred lbs myself, not sure how much help the seller will be. I'm taking my refrig. dolly just in case I have to skid it over the tailgate. Once I get it home, I have a fork lift of overhead hoist.
    Hope everything works out and no damage. Not a bad deal for $600 total (well, plus about $60 for gas). I plan to put this engine/CVT in a nice solid ex-Yellow Cab that has 286k mile and noisy engine and CVT chain. Should solve that problem. Then, in my spare time I will look into what is involved in changing that chain drive. (subject of another thread!)

Steve

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't believe there is a chain in the inverter?:censored: H

5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Harold, I was refering to the CVT final drive. Both the Gen1 and the Gen2 have a "silent" chain drive. The Gen3 on have an all gear drive.

Steve

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got it loaded and with the refrig dolly and with the help of the seller. weight estimates were pretty close. I'd say now that the engine was heavier than I expected and the CVT tranny was about equal in weight but larger in size than I expected. I wouldn't have expected it to be that large from looking at it from under the hood or under the car. Still, both were easy to handle, being very clean (not greasy globs) and all opening sealed and electrical connectors taped up. Better than some of the stuff I been getting off eBay. Nice to deal eye to eye with the seller.

Steve

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Trans weighs approximately 230 Lbs. An engine weighs approximately 200 Lbs. Here at the shop I have been able to lift each with two people.

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck with your project Steve. H

9. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    \
    I'm wondering which way you pull engines and trannys. No procedures in the shop manuals.
    I normal pull from the top on the smaller cars but like some other larger cars, there is a sub-frame and wonder which is easier.

Steve

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From under the car, the subframe has to be removed first.