1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wife doesn't like prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by max2prius, Dec 20, 2007.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your wife is right about waiting and you'll be happier too. Wait until the PHEV Prius comes out.

2. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've given up on people and their irrational thinking about the Prius. Several folks at work were all 'hot to trot' about a Prius when gas hit $3/gallon. I was the only one to pull the trigger.

Since the purchase, I've heard all the excuses from my friends;

That bar in the back really bothers me...

My wife likes to 'sit up' so she can see...

I need the versatility of an SUV (lexus, highlander...)...

Most of my miles are on the highway and the hybrid isn't that good on the highway....

As you all well know - none of these excuses are really valid and when I show them data or take them for a test drive, they just shrug their shoulders... I really don't think folks will come around on this issue until gas hits $4/gallon - and that shouldn't be too far off...

3. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? Are the prices too high? Do they serve top-shelf stuff? :D

~ dan ~

4. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everyone for your advice. A couple of days ago I placed an order for an 08 Mag Grey Package 2, and I just received a call that the car will be ready on Mon AM. I am paying $21,700 + Tax, Lic. This seems like a good price compared to what others have paid in other forums, and is below invoice per Edmunds. (End of year special)

I sold one of my three cars, and received a deposit to sell my other one tonight.

My wife agrees that we deserve to drive the cars we want. I am optimistic that it will grow on her.

I'll let you guys know after I have picked up the car.

John

5. chetto

chetto New Member

Congrats! You have made a wise decision my friend. I'm sure you'll love it.

6. HSDP

HSDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think she should let you keep any of the additional saved gas money for yourself, since it was your decision.

7. BlackPri08

BlackPri08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats! I hope your wife likes the car with time. I'd put money on it.

8. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I picked up my car on Dec 31, and drove it home which was about 30 miles and got 48mpg even in heavy traffic. What a technological marvel. The ride is a little louder on the freeway than the Maxima, but it is not a major sacrifice. One thing I noticed is that when the wind kicked up it caused the car to be pushed to the side. :mad: I'll just have to drive it more carefully, and slowly.

So far I have put on 150 miles (One bar over 1/2 tank) and am still averaging 49mpg per the computer. My goal is to have a 50mpg first tank.

I started a spreadsheet for 2008 to tabulate the fuel costs, mpg for this car and the SUV. When I show my wife the results she will be impressed. She is already making positive comments on the second day ("Wow it is so quiet in the city").

Thanks all for your help during the decision/ purchase process.

John

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    enjoy... i have confidence that your wife will realize as you already have, that you made the right choice

10. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John:

I'm glad you like it, and I'm sure you'll only find things that you REALLY Like about it.

Now, may I suggest the BT stiffening plate ASAP if you're concerned about the wind blowing you around? Today I confirmed FOR SURE that the BT plate DOES help with the asymmetric pushing caused by wind. Also, it might be in your best interest to put wider tires under the car; you'll sacrifice a bit in MPG but you'll feel much more planted to the road. I also say you should buy Coastal E Tech's EV mode button, which worked for me this morning just as well as an EBH, which I'd also suggest if you live somewhere particularly cold.

So, to rattle it off quickly:

(1) BT Technologies Chassis Stiffening Plate ($145 shipped last I checked)
    (2) CONSIDER replacement tires (or wait 20,000 miles then do it)
    (3) Coastal E Tech Electric-Vehicle Modification ($40 or so)

You'll be glad with any or all of these purchases for the car, and congrats on getting it. Now you owe us pictures.

~ dan ~

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This thing about the split rear window is funny. If I covered the small lower window I would have similar rear vision to my work car with its high boot lid. My Prius has a mirror on each side in addition to the one inside.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had a 73 mustang that had a smaller view out the back...

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Max2prius,

I had this gusty wind yaw problem here in Chicagoland. We get gusty winds in the spring usually, but looks like we will get them tormorrow and Monday if the huricane strength wind reports from CA and NV cary across the country.

The BT Tech plate did a good job making the car controlable in these situations. I had two identical gusty cross wind situations 2 weeks apart. On both occaisions I did an identical test. I carefully aligned the car to the lane, and held the steering wheel fixed. When a gust hit, I noticed roll and total displacement (as a result of the yaw over time). In the first test with the stock floor stiffening plate, the car shifted half a lane sideways. The second test after the plate was installed the car shifted about 3 inches side way. The vibrations in the car were very different too. With the stock plate, I felt the rear of the car wag back and forth with about a 1 second period for 4 or 5 cycles. With the BT Tech plate the period of the vibration was much lower, it actually like a buzz in the seat of my pants. The duration of the vibration was less than a second after modification (versus 5 seconds before). The car rolled the same amount both days. The Yaw however was greatly changed, and the displacement (integral of the yaw times speed over time) was markedly less.

One thing that is also reported to help is to get the toe-in adjusted to slightly positive, but still within specification. The specification on the Prius, unlike other cars, has the Toe-in specification spaning the zero point. Most cars spec Toe-in to be always a little positive over the range of the specification.

I am using Michelin Hydroedge at 185/65-15 size now, which are better than the stock tires. But the wind gust tests above were with the original GY Integrity tires, at the door sill tire pressures. Many of us on PC here run our tire pressures at 42 PSI for the fronts, and 40 for the rears. This seems to help even more. I do not think larger tires are needed for this issue.

14. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now that you are in the club, a quick tip that is a must.
    Raise that Tire Pressure to at least 40 front 38 rear.
    I ride at 44 front 42 rear. Should increase your mileage by about 3 - 5 MPG.

15. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also ride 44 front 42 rear, but I'm considering going up to 51 front and 47 rear.

~ dan ~

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many hybrid owners use www.greenhybrid.com for this purpose.

17. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's an old saying, "If momma ain't happy, nobodys happy".

Forget the Prius and take her out to dinner. :)

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just got around asking my sis. For the record, that mattress is the adult twins size. The width fits perfectly. Good to know!

19. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just want to provide everyone an update. My wife is now driving my Prius to work between 1-2 times per week (11 miles round trip) to save gas. She is now criticizing the folks that drive SUV's that ride alone, and how wasteful that is. We are going everywhere around town with it.

I have been running a spreadsheet, and she sees the huge $$ savings of our Prius 48mpg (regular gas) vs the MDX - 16mpg (premium required- now over $4/ Gal in N CA)!

I just have to be careful that she doesn't steal my car full time!

Thanks again everyone to help me make the smartest vehicle decision I have ever made. This site is so helpful with great people.

John

20. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, all the way from hating the Prius to driving it, not bad. :D