1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife is FREEZING !!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Airbalancer, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder it the HVAC controls may need some calbration, because on the labour day weeekend we where on a long drive, had the temp set at 25 C and it still felt cool,
    In 35 years off driving , I never had to block the grill, or use a block heater above -10

Maybe I should get this BlueHeat® Main

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Airbalancer:

I don't mean to be insulting with this question, but does she know how to actually use the climate control system properly?

(Note: the following comments are based on my experience with my G2. Some verbage may be different for the G3 Prii.)

When things don't seem to be working the way you expect, press the "Auto A/C" button on the steering wheel to shut off the climate control. You should then see the indication on the climate control unit that the "A/C is off", or something like that. If it doesn't, press the button repeatedly until you see that message.

Now press the same button on the steering wheel one more time. You should now see a message on the climate control unit (MFD on the G2) that the "A/C is set to some temperature". Let's say that the set temperature is 68 degrees. Now use the "up" button on the steering wheel to increase that temperature to whatever feels comfortable. That's it! No need to touch any other buttons, change any other settings, etc.

The problem here is that Toyota uses "Air Conditioning" in it's "broader" sense of total "conditioning" of the air, not necessarily just "cooling". Thus, taking the system off of "Auto" limits its ability to set the temperature in the cabin. This can be confusing to some people at first, who associate "Auto A/C" with just cooling.

In my experience with the G2, unless you want absolutely no heating and no cooling, there's no need to touch anything other than the buttons on the steering wheel. I usually just leave mine on "Auto" all the time, and then set the temperature with the up and down arrows to whatever feels comfortable.

In cooler weather my G2 seems to heat up just fine. In fact, the electric heaters in the air ducts help the car to get warmer faster than other cars I've driven.

Best wishes,

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are not outlawed Bev, some people need to put things behind them but there is no outlaws as far as I am concerned.

Mum did say to me a couple weeks ago, she (Heather) will always be her daughter in law and the mum of her grandson. I guess she is right.
    Anyway, not the right place for this discussion.

So how you finding sleeping on the porch Airbalancer?

4. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever had a car that returned 50mpg before? If you don't make waste heat there isn't a lot of waste heat to waste. The heat comes from burning gas.

5. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's crotch-wear .... heat retention is close to zero, by design.

7. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think this was misdirected... She let me in when her feet got cold and the cat wasn't warm enough. :cool:

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cocked up, wasn't the first time, wont be the last! Thanks Jim05 for correcting me, I need to be pulled into line sometimes.

Sorry for any confusion Airbalancer.