1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife just bought new Prius II

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by LesGas, Apr 24, 2010.

1. LesGas

LesGas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't post here much, but my wife just bought a 2010 Prius II today. Blizzard Pearl. It will complement the 2008 I drive and she will probably fill it up about once a month with the driving that she does.
    We have been pleased with my 2008 and she wanted something that got better mileage. Even with all the media talking about Toyota and the acceleration issues, she didn't think there was a problem.
    Forgot to mention, picking it up next week. I am so happy that she won't be killing my mileage for a change now and I can increase my mileage with the '08. Maybe she can learn to pulse and glide for a change!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome and congratulations. It is nice to hear that your wife did not caught up in the negative Toyota publicity and bought one.

It will be interesting to see who can get the better mpg!

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congratulations! :) I agree, there are no safety issues with this car. Tell her to enjoy her new Prius.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the 2nd Prius!

5. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats on #2. You must be the Prius family.:)

6. LesGas

LesGas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all of the comments. I will still actually get the better mileage with my '08. She drive 7 miles one way to work on interstate and her idea of a vehicle is to get from point A to point B. I drive 35 miles one way to work with hills on a stretch of road that the speed limit is 55. I have learned to do some pulse and glide techniques during my drive to work. She is tickled with purchasing something that gets better than the 16 MPG she is getting now:eek:.

I have tried to teach her what little I know about pulse and glide, but she doesn't get it. She thinks as long as she is getting over 40 MPGs, she will be happy. I'll work on getting the air pressure up in her tires and doing what I can to help her some. We shall see. I am hoping she can get close to what I got when I was just learning to drive the Prius, which was around 50 to start out with (my current average is 52.5, lifetime of the vehicle).
    To me, it is game to see just how good of mileage I can get with the '08. On a recent trip to Richmond, VA. (about 100 miles one way), I averaged 70 MPGs for the trip down along with what I had done driving back and forth to work all week. I didn't think that was too shabby for an '08 with 42K miles on it. I did not have the AC on and I used some trucks for help (drafting, but back a little, cut down on wind resistance) on the interstate. To me this was great! Her comments were "it was all down hill to Richmond", that is why I got such great mileage.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds a lot like my wife. She drives my car occassionally and ruins my average mpg. I have tried to explain how the car works and what little things she can do to improve mpg. She just looks at me and says "you drive it your way, I will drive it my way" !!

8. LesGas

LesGas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your wife sounds exactly like mine, they must be related or something like that! She has told me several times the same thing.

Picked the car up last night. Test drove it and gave it the once over to see if anything was wrong with the car. The only thing wrong was the car was not as clean as a new car should be for delivery. The salesman was busy , he was selling 4 vehicles that day, all new! The outside looked good, but the inside was a little dusty and the car had been sitting on a dealers lot since December. The dealer we bought it from did an exchange to get one the way we wanted it. It will go back and they will put a current state inspection sticker on it and the salesman offered a free detail. The salesman was nice and said that he had been telling the dealership that they really need to step the new car delivery cleaning, but they don't listen to him. They did offer us this Zyllon (paint and upholstery protection, good for 5 years) or something like that for $599, but I can buy a lot of Zaino for that and it will look better longer than 5 years. Plus no better than it was cleaned, I would wonder how good a job they would do with the treatment!:eek:

All in all, we are pleased with the car and she will drive it on a regular basis now. I did a quick detail of the interior this evening after work and it now looks like it should have when we picked it up. Next up will be the exterior. I need about 4 hours for that and it will look better than it did when we drove it home.

9. Prius/lexus

Prius/lexus New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V