1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife never learns her lesson.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Frederickdawg, May 29, 2021.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So my mrs went to her same dealership to get an oil change today. The very same one with predatory behavior, this time as they pull her car up after to hand over the vehicle to her, they put on a show that it requires a new 12v battery. They said something about the panic button not working or something. Luckily for her, I’ve marked all parts and such on her vehicle and noted the serial numbers.
    I’ve asked for the old battery back so that I can verify it’s the actual old dead battery. Anyone wager that it is or not ? We’ll see.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How much are they going to charge for a new battery? I would want to know what test they performed to determine that a new 12V was needed, but it would not be that unusual for the regular lead-acid 12V (such as your Gen 4 has) to die after 5 years in the Florida heat. Has anyone ever checked the fluid levels in that battery? I found mine were low after 3 years of use, some time in Florida, but mostly in northern states (NY and WA).

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dealerships often have electronic load testers, pro-level ones that’ll give printout. Ask and maybe they’ll demo test the old one to verify condition. If the CCA is at or even slightly below spec, replacement IS due.

4. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This dealership has dubious predatory practices ever since i we went there under the proviso of 24 months free oil changes that were given when vehicle was purchased. This dealership is also the one that replaced the front axle under warranty recall but didn’t align the front end and then pushed for us to pay for an alignment after as it was out. It’s all be logged and noted. I’ll be writing to Toyota HQ with evidence and complaint. Im not expecting much but at least they’ll have one formal complaint against them from me.

The battery cost was $200.

amos likes this.
  5. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    After being charged $239 by one Florida dealer for an oil change and tire rotation, far be it from me to defend any particular dealer with which I have had no experience. (I'm sure you have your reasons to be suspicious). If it was really needed, though, $200 for a new battery installed at the dealer does not seem to be that far out of line.

Data Daedalus, jerrymildred and amos like this.
  6. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Apparently their version of a brake fluid change is to just empty the reservoir and fill with new liquid also. I just noticed that on receipt and in the engine bay the brake fluid is over the max mark and is cloudy with some particles.

Attached Files:

Mambo Dave likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One $5.95 “unit” (very likely a pint) of brake fluid sounds pretty paltry for a brake fluid change. I use a couple of pints (aka one quart) when I DIY our 3rd gens, and I suspect I’m changing 60~80 percent, maybe. I’ve never found a spec for brake fluid capacity, either in owners manual (which DOES spec a lot of the fluid capacities) or the repair manual.

a full brake fluid change shouldn’t run much over $100 USD, and $160 for baste and fill of the reservoir is robbery.

just for giggles check the bleed bolt rubber caps: if they’re coated in undisturbed dust take some well lit pics to show to the service manager. If they’re cleaned and there’s various signs they’ve been in there, that should allay your suspicions somewhat.

if the caps are missing, that’s a sign they’ve been in there, well their knucklehead crew…

#7 Mendel Leisk, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  8. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    indeed it says 55.95 I believe for one unit. Lol. All they did was probably top the brake fluid reservoir or at best emptied it and filled it up. Like I mentioned, it looks a little cloudy with some particles to be new. But proof is in the pudding with what you stated.

#8 Frederickdawg, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
  9. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just went out front to bring in the garbage container. Noticed a red object on the left rear axle of wife’s Prius. Upon closer inspection it was well used mechanics oil rag.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

that's one of the better prices i've seen on a dealer installed oem 12v

Data Daedalus and davecook89t like this.
  11. Spit_Shining_Turd

Spit_Shining_Turd New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    $239 for an Oil change and Tire Rotation? what the actual ****? why?

12. Spit_Shining_Turd

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    because there's a difference between a "fluid change" and a "fluid Flush"

13. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had naively assumed the prices of these services would be similar across different dealers, so I took the car in for servicing at this dealership without asking what I would be charged. The first time I had actually had to pay for service on the Gen 4, I had taken it to the dealer in Bellingham, WA. At that time I was charged $94 for an oil change with full synthetic oil and tire rotation, possibly more than I would have paid at an independent shop, but I did want to patronize Toyota dealers if the price difference was not too great, in case I ever needed to ask for a "goodwill" warranty extension. After being charged the $239 from the dealer in Fort Myers, FL (I won't name them, but a quick internet search will tell you who they were), I swore I would never take the car back there. I have since had the oil changed in that car at City World Toyota in the Bronx, NY for a price of $64. I asked about a tire rotation there, and was quoted a price of around $50, I believe, but I chose not to have that done on this occasion. I should also mention that we have had work done at on our Gen 2 at that dealer in the Bronx for what seemed like a reasonable price and also at a Toyota dealer in Cranbrook, BC for a price that was similarly reasonable. So, in my experience the dealer in Fort Myers is a "one-off". Be warned.;)

Spit_Shining_Turd likes this.
  14. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's a well/known/fact ......those Florida retirees got bucks to spend! .....;)

MIkeDr and Spit_Shining_Turd like this.
  15. Spit_Shining_Turd

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    wow that's insane,...I would actually write a letter to Toyota Corporate about that dealer in Ft Meyers. what they did was completely unethical and you deserve a helluva reimbursement. there's no way in HELL I would've agreed to pay that much for a simple oil change and tire rotation....on a damn Prius....you got charged for a Ferrari! lol
    I'm also curious why you used Full Synthetic rather than just Synthetic Blend which is much cheaper. Not the basic, but not the best...blend is fine I'm sure. That's what I use in my 2012 Sonata Limited.
    Would you also kindly fill me in on what a "goodwill" warranty extension is? lol

16. Spit_Shining_Turd

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    that doesn't give them the right to "Price gouge" I'm sure Corporate would have something to say about this.

Tande likes this.
  17. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm - have you priced a Ferrari service? A $239 Ferrari service, besides impossible, would mean they did almost nothing.

Also - what service was referred to? They're all different prices depending on what is listed in the Service Manual. My last one, 80,000km, was $354.00.

TOYOTA Australia website lists my 90,000km coming up at 254.63, and 100,000km - $485.75 - but I'll have sold the car by then.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting that Toyota specs prices for service; don’t think that happens in North America. Australian $’s?

19. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep - we use $AU here.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See your exchange rate to USD is roughly .75. That’s typically per CDN $, except right now we’re around .81; maybe due to oil?

alanclarkeau likes this.