1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife wants to "drive the wheels off it."

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jerrymildred, Mar 3, 2019.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's my terminology, not hers.

This isn't really a question as much as an announcement of a change in plans. I'd been figuring since I was the last one to get a car, she would be next. What's fair is fair. We are expecting an increase in income starting in May that should allow us to replace her '07 with about 137k miles while it's still healthy.

She did NOT like that idea. She doesn't like my PiP and she really doesn't like the gen 4. She says "I like my car and want to keep it." Those are her words. :D And there's not a thing wrong with it. I enjoy it even if it is a little buzzy.

So, since the battery is only four years old, the only biggies I need to look out for are air conditioning and brake pump. I'll keep it maintained and we'll hope this one doesn't get demolished by a texter like the previous one.

And I need to decide if I want the features and performance of a gen 4 while my PiP is still super healthy and able to get a fairly good selling price. If so, I'll finally have to get off the dime and decide if it'll be Prime or hatchback. Right now, I lean toward a trim 3 Gen 4 because I'm sick of half my cargo area being consumed by the spare tire. But that's for another forum and I still have lots of time to decide.

Main thing is to keep the missus happy because my happiness depends on her happiness. :love:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While we do not own a Gen2, my wife falls into a similar category:).

We had her 98 4runner for 17 years and it had 263 k miles on it before selling it off for a hybrid that she wants to keep just as long:

Out with the old.....

Im hoping she stays true to her word like she always has:love:.

You’ve got all the tools and knowledge here to keep that Gen2 for a long time in good sorts. Just hope other drivers oblige and feel the same way(y).

Graeme1949, SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same.

are you replacing the inverter pomp on a regular basis?

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure that's as big a deal as keeping an eye on the ICE water pump. If the inverter pump stops, it can limp home after cooling off since we don't go far from home with it. But since it's cheap, I may do that sometime. And speaking of the water pump, I think I'll grab a flashlight this afternoon and see how it's looking.

The other thing I need to do soon is probably replace the brake fluid and get things lubed up. Brake pads aren't critical yet, but maybe put on new ones while it's apart.

My boss's in-laws have a Prius (Gen 3, he thinks). He rode with me to North Carolina last week and asked me about maintenance on them since they may buy that car from them soon. He was pretty amazed at how little is required.

AMEN!!

Graeme1949, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you shown her the 2020 Hybrid Corolla? That might sway her.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem is that you know that the hybrid battery is going to fail but you don't know when.

It will not be driveable when it dis.

When the battery dies the car will only be worth scrap value. ($200 to $500 if you are lucky).

It will cost $2,500- $3,500 to replace the battery.

If you get rid of the car now, while it is working you will get a decent price for it. Plus you can sell it in know the battery was still functional when you sold it.

7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He knows the battery is only 4 years old. I thought there would be a lot of life left in one that new.
    [ @jerrymildred is our example on how NOT to use the Prolong system. ;)]

Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota should wake up.

It's the Cuba syndrome, people driving tried-n-true clunkers, cus they've seen the future, and...

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did and it didn't. She's adamant. :p

Thanks for bringing up one of the most embarrassing mistakes of my life, @Prodigyplace! LOL!!! :ROFLMAO: But you're absolutely right. Since the battery is a full set of cells from a totaled 2015 and professionally grid charged and balanced at Tampa Hybrids before I installed it in May of 2017, I figure it has lots of life left. And when I installed it, I put in the Prolong cable so I can use my grid charger on it when it starts to show its age. Right now, it runs like a new car. That's why I suggested to her that it would be a good idea to sell it soon. But even if I do eventually have to replace the battery, she still doesn't want another car. And by then, we may be too old to drive. <shoulder shrug emoticon needed here> I have no idea why she's so attached to it, but she sure likes it.

#9 jerrymildred, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When we sold the 4runner, the wife cried as we were signing it over and took one last look at it. She said she had so many memories that were tied to the car;).

And it was her idea to replace it:whistle:.

But they can get attaching when they last so long(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you mean driving on this??

[​IMG]

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's why Canadians live up there. The winter snows kind of fill in the potholes. They wouldn't get that kind of relief here in Florida. :whistle::):D:ROFLMAO:

Which reminds me. I often long for some snow. But then I take a trip up north and get reminded of frost heaves. ba-bump! ba-bump! ba-bump!

Data Daedalus and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My October 2008 Gen 2 is running up to 11 years on the original battery - last Toyota Hybrid check revealed no problems whatsoever - not particularly surprising when you live in a largely temperate zone like London UK

iPhone 6s +

15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say drive the wheels off that sucker, save up the money you would spend on a new car and buy when she wants a new car. Could have flying cars like the Jetsons by then. ;)

16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 1998 4 runner that I need to sell. I just replaced the clutch even. Probably try to sell it on the 4 runner website as manual transmissions are rare and coveted by off roaders.

Raytheeagle and Data Daedalus like this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't have minded something like that when we lived on Roatán, Honduras. Toyotas are super expensive there, though, and I needed a diesel 4wd pickup. My 1998 Nissan Frontier was bulletproof, though. But not rust proof.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife also prefers the 2007 which we had given to our daughter a few years ago. So our daughter gets to drive the 2015 much of the time as we swap cars back and forth depending upon when a vehicle needs maintenance performed by me.

So true.

jerrymildred and Data Daedalus like this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The diff locker is even more coveted:).

Made for some fun(y).

Skibob and Data Daedalus like this.
  20. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never had that on any of the 3 4 runners we have had. If I could find one I could install it. You are more likely to find one on a wrecked TRD Tacoma though. I think most of them had that option. Those guys usually install aftermarket ones front and rear.

Data Daedalus and Raytheeagle like this.