1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife Woes. She thinks it's hideous.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by hillcity, May 29, 2013.

1. hillcity

hillcity New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius, I mean.

I think it's the best buy for us at the moment.

Looking at a few 2012's with low miles for around $20k cash.

We have terrible credit, so financing or leasing is out of the picture.

But she's really hollering on this. She'd rather have a cute used BMW or Benz for less money.

I really want this Prius, for personal and very practical reasons.

It's getting so bad that I'm considering letting her get the best cute car she can get for $10k and then using the other $10k to find myself the nicest, newest, lowest-miles prius.

For me, it's Prius or bust. Even though there are a trillion smart reasons for us to get a prius, I'm starting to feel like I'm just being selfish.

Advice? If I go the 'find a prius under $10k route, what do I look out for? Plenty Salvages out there, and quite a few that have just tipped past the warranty. Wary about those.

I used to HATE saab bodies and when an old Saab was the only car I could afford, I grew to love it very dearly. I have a feeling she'll grow to love our Prius.

FYI, we're driving a dreadful 2000 Buick Regal. I think we get like 14mpg and it's huge and hideous. Any car will feel like a step up for us...

And GO!

FranklinS likes this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard. A happy wife, a happy life. You might layout the numbers for both to see and that might help in the decision. Goooood luck!

heyjack70 likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those "cute used BMW or Benz for less money" will likely be a money pit as neither are really known for the reliability and low maintenance costs.

I personally would steer clear of salvage cars. I'd also steer clear of Gen 1 Priuses (prior to model year 04).

How about a Prius c since cash is tight? What other cars does she consider "cute"? Would cars like a Mini Cooper, Fiat 500 or (gasp) a Yaris be considered "cute"?

How about a used Camry Hybrid? The previous gens (pre-model year '12) are a big step down from the current gen, but I'd imagine are way cheaper a current gen? If considering one of that vintage, how about a used Altima Hybrid or a Ford Fusion Hybrid?

minkus, Sergiospl and JMD like this.
  4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe this will help convince her. Round trip commute MPGs. No tricks, just driving in 70 F weather. From the 36 MPH average, you can see this really is mixed highway / city driving, not just highway. The MPGs on this car are phenomenal. First 5 minutes were climbing steep freeway grade plus warming up.

camera 462.jpg

cwerdna likes this.
  5. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You live in California. The Prius is the BMW there. Show her some pictures of the many celebrities that drive them and she should be convinced if a car is more about status than practicality. My other half wasn't for the Prius, and to a big extent still isn't. But, the Prius is a lot more affordable to drive. Who doesn't want to save money? If your credit is bad and you can't afford financing or get approved for a lease, I think a practical car that will be reliable is a lot better than any BMW that may come with its share of problems. That extra money you save can go towards other things.

JMD likes this.
  6. hillcity

hillcity New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ugh, i know. all arguments i've tried.

and i have definitely showed her all the celebs who drive them...

(i've personally seen kerry washington, molly shannon, and dominic monaghan who don't make the popular list!)

i moved here to be a writer, and i remember the night that my multi-millionaire mentor (an exec of a long-running but now cancelled show) drove up to our meeting in a prius. he's a guy i respect on a ton of levels and ever since that night, it's kind of been stuck in my brain that -- in a city full of porsches and beamers and maseratis and bentleys -- the really smart and really rich ones drive prii.

full disclosure: i could have a brand new fully loaded elantra for less money and i would probably turn purple (a black man blushing) if i ever had to valet it at the beverly hills plaza or other places i've had to go for meetings or work.

i guess i have all these long prius 'roots' that have been growing under the surface for years, and now that we're finally discussing a car it must seem to her that i'm obsessed with this car for no reason. we actually got into a tiff about it at a restaurant last night. so cliche.

sigh.

7. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BMW is a money pit. Maintenance and repairs will deplete your bank account. Make her aware of that. Tune up $1,200, oil change $150, brakes $300 per wheel, new run flat tires $1,200, etc.

Let her know it is a rebuilding period of your life as you restore common sense and practicality.

I traded in a BMW for a new Prius. The $ I saved per month on gas is spent on a vacation to Maui this summer.

Tread lightly with her and good luck.

Scion has some nice cars that are priced OK, may want to check it out.

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If I had to choose between a car and my wife, my wife would win. YMMV

heyjack70 likes this.
  9. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can vouch for what everyone is saying about Mercedes and BMW. I have a C300 and just got rid of the 328i. Just way too much added cost to keep them! Now if only I can convince my spouse not to sell the C300 to get a CLA45! I love my paid-for Prius and maintenance cost is very low.

iPad ? HD

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Compromise on a Avalon Hybrid?

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're going about this all wrong. You're trying to convince HER why to the buy the Prius. She should be convincing YOU why a BMW or Mercedes should be your next car. Tell her to lay out the financials on how that would be a sound financial decision. If you can't come to an agreement, then let her know the only option is keep your Regal and let the money stay in the bank!

Teacake and Jamesb93612 like this.
  12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tread lightly, h-ll knows no scorn as a angry wife.

13. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No chance! My spouse is all about status and only wants luxury vehicles. I learned a long time ago it was a loosing battle so I don't argue anymore ;-)

iPad ? HD

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    JMD likes this.
  15. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never thought i would own a Prius until i test drove one... has she test driven the Prius yet? Not sure what Model you're looking at (i.e. 2/3/4/5) but maybe the features could help win her over.

Also, show her the pics here on PC. A few simple mods could maybe help...

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hell hath no fury like a women scorned.

JMD likes this.
  17. hillcity

hillcity New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thx everyone. it definitely took a test drive (rental a few years back) to officially win me over. the same may go for my wife as well. i've asked her to give me reasons, but then again, she doesn't really have to, does she? even if i 'win', it'll be a little rocky until she actually admits that she likes it. i really think she will if she gives it a chance.

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That to, your whole life is leading up to this moment.

The art if getting married and staying happily married is simple. Every day remind your wife in your special way that she is as sexy as Angelina Jolie, as smart as Hillary Clinon, and as wealthy as a Walton and convince her that buying a Prius makes her all 3 in one.

19. hillcity

hillcity New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DUDE. Sorry for the public post but i'm so new here...what in the world is that shifter knob mod you have looks sick! is it "touchscreen" is there a place where you list all your mods?

20. hillcity

hillcity New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly I was so excited by that mod that all my punctuation flew right out the window!