1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife won't drive my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ronald56, Jul 18, 2007.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aren't all Prii the same size? :D :D :rolleyes:

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    jhinton, I am sorry to hear of your friend's situation. Losing a family member is never easy.

Perhaps our laws are different. For example, NJ does not recognize a common law marriage.

"What not having your spouse as a co-signer will do is prevent them from building any credit. That is not a big deal until the couple splits up or a spouse dies." It also prevents one with poor credit from reducing the rating of the other. Putting both names on the title would have increased his interest rate on the loan.

I believe the water bill is in my Dad's name although he's been dead for many years. The utility doesn't care about the name on the check or who's account the money comes from.

In NJ some (maybe most) insurance companies use marital status, credit rating, and number of cars to determine the premium. Some also use education level. In an accident the injured party can go after the driver and the owner.

I would have recommended that they have seperate bank accounts in addition to joint accounts. If they had two cars one should have been in his name while the other is in her name. She should also have had her own credit card. Applications are everywhere and I can't remember when I haven't received unsolicited applications in the mail.

The rationale behind sperate accounts is that many years ago single accounts were frozen and joint accounts were 50% frozen upon death.

Every marriage ends one way or another and usually in an unexpected way. Unfortunately most people don't give it much thought resulting in unintended consequences.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ronald56 @ Jul 18 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]481334[/snapback]</div>
    We just "lost" the white Prius from the office parking lot. It was "his" car. When he flew to Florida for a week on business (a true hypermiler would have drove) his wife started driving the car and now prefers it to "her" Mustang. Now he's planning on getting a 2008 in about 6 months. Enjoy "your" car for as long as you can.

3. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 18 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]481365[/snapback]</div>

what she said!

since i've been married (and even before we were married)..... we've never gone off and bought a car on our own! and even though one person is main driver.... ALL vehicles (including the motorcycle when we had it that i didn't even drive.... errrrrr ride...) were/are OUR cars!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]481385[/snapback]</div>

again.... what she said! lol!

the prius is a VERY safe vehicle!

i had an SUV prior to buying the prius (acura MDX).... i'm SO happy i got rid of the gas hog and now dive my sweet prius!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 19 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]481932[/snapback]</div>

???????????????????????????????????????????

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

More history...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]