1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wife's prius died..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pseudomech, Nov 5, 2016.

1. pseudomech

pseudomech New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wife's prius died in an intersection downtown. Wouldn't start. Nothing but those funny prepping noises when start button pushed. No dash lights except red flashing key which disappears when fob inserted in slot. Still won't start, no dash lights come on. MFD blank. No diagnostic mode. Headlights shine bright, flashers work. Had it towed home. Would not go into neutral so tow driver dragged it onto flatbed with front wheels sliding.
    Aux battery clean and tight. Despite 160000 miles, car in good shape with two year old aux battery. Initially reading 12.1 v, went to 12.7 after charging overnight. Still no action when attempting to start, even with charger on. Tried jumping at fuse box, still no dash lights, no start. Read about combination meter problems but dealer service manager says he doesn't think thats it. I tore out the dash but now I'm stumped and too stubborn (cheap) to tow it to dealer. Any help? Ideas?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How about disconnecting the battery all together and reset the car? Rodent damage? Got a spare key to try?

Check all fuses

#2 JC91006, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    One possibility is the inverter cooling pump may have seized and taken out the fuse, check the AM2 fuse.

andrewclaus likes this.
  4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had the combination meter go out on two separate cars and that's definitely not it. Sorry, that's all I can add. Good advice above so far. Good luck.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Besides checking the AM2 fuse and disconnecting the 12V battery to reset the ECUs: how much fuel is in the tank??

6. pseudomech

pseudomech New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I disconnected the battery and did battery reset. My wife swears it has plenty of gas and she is familiar with how that looks from past experience. I did try both keys and checked all the fuses in the engine fuse box for continuity. I will check to see which ones have power tomorrow. No rodent signs. I'm not sure where the am2 fuse is but I will google it. Now I'm afraid the dealer will find a way to charge me a bundle to reinstall the dash if I tow it in. Not giving up yet!

7. pseudomech

pseudomech New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, dealer said there are two recalls, something about the steering column and the inverter water pump.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you haven't done the recalls, do that first and it might solve your problem.

The dealer should point you to the problem you are facing....and that's most likely am2 fuse failure from the failed inverter pump. That should be covered by the recall

9. pseudomech

pseudomech New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks JC91006. Good advice on that recall. I will still take a look at that am2 fuse before calling the tow truck. I'm going to request a dolly for the front wheels since I still can't get it into neutral. Thanks everyone.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The AM2 fuse is located in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter. After you have removed the lid of the box, look for Unit B which is a rectangular black assembly that contains four relays. Four fuses sit in the Unit B assembly. One of those fuses is AM2.

Also, check the following fuses: 10A GAUGE, 15A DOME, 7.5A IGN. Two of those fuses are in the fuse box below the instrument panel, driver's side.

#10 Patrick Wong, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    JC91006 likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the am2 fuse is blown because of the inverter pump, replacing the fuse will just make it blow again. The root cause should be the recalled pump. It's free to have the recalls done at Toyota

Patrick Wong likes this.
  12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the AM2 fuse has blown, I suggest the OP could unplug the inverter coolant pump. This is located behind the driver's side headlight assembly. Then the car could be driven a short distance instead of towed.