1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will 2010s be hard to get?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BH1973, Apr 25, 2009.

1. BH1973

BH1973 Junior Member

I waited months for my 2004, and thought that I should try to jump on some waiting list for the 2010. But my sense is that the 2010s are going to arrive, sell quickly, but sit for a few days at least on lots. In other words, if you want one, you can probably just go get one, or wait a week or two. Why? Well, the dealers around me in NC seem very keen on selling them - that is, they're doing some work to make the sale. That wasn't the case in 2004. They are also likely going to have a lot of 2009s sitting around as well with very tempting clearance prices. If a 2009 package #2 goes to 19-20k, which I think is very likely when the 2010s hit the showroom, it will make for a tough choice. Finally, with gas at $2/gallon or less and the car market stalled anyway, no matter how great this car is, it's just not going to move off lots the way the 2nd gens, which were probably more revolutionary than evolutionary, did when they first came out. In fact, I think there may be the slightest amount of wiggle room on these, maybe $500 or so.

What do you think?

2. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I already have an e-mail from a dealer telling me he will take $500.00 off the msrp of any 2010 Prius. I'm just hoping gas stays where it is at least till I get mine. I fear if gas takes off again, the $500.00 discount will be replaced by waiting lists.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To the answer's the OP's question, no, I don't think they'll be that hard to find.

The US and worldwide auto industry is in the crapper due to the bad economy. See By The Numbers — Autoblog to see US auto sales.

As for gas at $2 or less, hahaha, I guess that OP's lucky to be in a cheaper gas state. It's $2.33 on average right now in San Jose, CA per AAA Fuel Gauge Report.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the initial 2-3 months they may be a bit scarce, esp. if you're picky on color and options as they ramp up production. But I think that, by this summer, they'll be widely available at your dealer or other nearby dealers with the production numbers that Toyota is planning on.