1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will 50 psi tire cause any problems with my car?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by rlecastro7, Jul 7, 2018.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Honda CRV was delivered new to me with grossly high tyre pressure all round. I got a tpms light on my first long journey and had to drop all the pressures later. Same dealership, recent new vehicle was just the same; they said the tyres were inflated for economy (!) BS!!!

Also, they hadn't changed the settings to mph for UK, but left them in kph as delivered new from European manufacturer. So to answer @Tideland earlier rhetorical question, no! They don't bother much with pre-owned checks as far as I can tell. :mad:

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    Because when I bought my Prius one of the first things I checked after driving it home was the tire PSI. And like the OP, I discovered the tires were grossly over inflated.

I didn't sweat it. As the time and distance was so minimal. I just reduced the PSI to manufacturers recommendation.
    But now I think I have a better understanding of why this might be happening.
    I was speculating that dealerships did it to absolutely show off the best possible MPG on their short test drives. But your scenario, seems to make better sense.

I guess the moral of the story is....check your tires PSI- A.S.A.P. , and don't trust that it's either arriving at the dealership with correctly inflated tires, and/or leaving the dealership with them.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Definitely. After I took my Prius to do the 10k service, I checked the tire pressures when I got home. They were 30 up front and 36 in the rear. Next time I take my car in for the 15k service, I'm gonna check tire pressures right there and if they are off, I'm gonna call them out on it.

4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Harm to car w/ tire 50psi?

More potential to bend rims and suspension from road hazards like pot holes.
    In essence less tire sidewall flex transmitting road bumps into the metal of the car.

Could wear out the center of the tire faster...problem to you purse.
    Maybe not so great for handling with less tire contact patch on the road surface..problem to your accident insurance.

50 psi hot maybe won't cause a blowout, 50 cold going to 56 hot maybe would cause a blow out.
    I don't know....Tire company contact and pyrometer readings could help answer this safety question.
    I would be hesitant to run 50 psi at speeds of 75mph (or greater) for extended periods of time.

That's my two cent comment FWIW.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect all manufacturers do it. We bought a new MAZDA 323 (Familia) in 1996 - the test vehicle rode like a cart - the salesman drove back and got the workshop to fix the tyre pressures, huge difference when they dropped them.

Being classed as a "Mazda lover" because I bought one - they kept sending me brochures on new models inviting me to a no-obligation test-drive. I took them up on the offer twice - and each time, the pressures were ridiculously high/rough ride.

jerrymildred likes this.